About this cane.....

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tigger57, Aug 23, 2006.

1. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm going to see my rheumy tomorrow. I called him when my body was acting weird because of low potassium. I'm pretty sure he will bring up the issue of the cane again.

What he does now, is that he says, "Do you want me to say it louder?" "Use a CANE!" He knows I'm stubborn and this is done with some humor and a strong message. I'm going to ask him tomorrow what I can do to get my brother to understand the "ups and downs" that go with this. If I have a "good" day, my brother thinks I'm "cured" and I'm getting better. I would like him to come to the rheumy with me, but he's having a rough time right now. His best friend died last week. The man was younger than my brother (probably just a little older than me) and he found out he had cancer just a few weeks ago... it had matastisized (sp?)and luckily he did go quickly and with minimal pain. I don't think any of us can ask for more than that. So, you see why I don't want to hit my brother with it right now.

I still can't bring myself to do it. C'mon, these dogs will look at that cane and say, "Woooo Hoooo, Mommy got us a BIG stick." In all seriousness though, it just hurts my pride.

Right now I've got this black ball of fur tumbling around. I can't tell where one black cat starts and the other one ends and they are just rolling around, so I guess my girl, Midnight, is doing better. She gave me a scare this week with not keeping food down. Whew! Dodged that bullet.

Wish me luck with the Rheumy tomorrow and with the rest of the stuff I have to fill out for Food Stamps and Medical Assistance and whatever else I can get.

I'm almost willing to make a decision to leave here because I can't see where I can afford to live here, but I have to wait and see what I can do first. I really like my house (even though it's always a mess), I wish my brother was "there" for me more (but that's not going to change no matter where I am), and I'm maybe 10 miles from the beach! I've never really made a decision to stay or leave (that explains my house being the mess that it is), and I still have to hold off on that until the dust settles and I can see what I can do.

I know I keep saying it, but thanks for being there and being my support. Heck, you guys are better than a cane.

Lots of hugs from me and the critters!
    Tigger
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I understand completely. I have had to use a cane now for a few years...on really good days I don't and I don't use it around the house. But it does embarass me. What I did was buy a cane that is interesting. Mine is made of wood and painted white and black and the handle has a carved white tiger face with blue eyes. So people approach me to tell me what a cool cane I have. There are many sites...ebay is where I got mine...that sell unusual decorative canes. It helps a little! Good luck tomorrow!
  3. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I'm not sure if I'm bucking the idea because it really does hurt my pride, or if my brother and sister-in-law think I'm creating "drama".

At some point I have to get my brother to go to the rheumy with me so his head can spin as much as mine does.
    Tigger
  4. sues1

sues1 New Member

You have probably read "The Thief of many lives" and also "Spoons".

You can find them by going to the search box on this site.

Print those out if you can and give them to your brother. That might help.

Love, Susan
  5. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

I talked with the rheumy today about my brother. He said to stop worrying about it and making it an issue. If he was going to be involved, he would have. If he was going to accept it, he would have as how.

He said that there are many people out there who just don't believe that fibro is "real". He said that people like that don't want to be educated and it would only help me if I learned to let it go.

Maybe he's right. I've wanted him to understand me my whole life and I'm 49 now... maybe it is time to let go.
    Tigger
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I'm glad that things are starting to fall into place for you.There are canes that look like an accessory.Type lucite canes and they have all colors for $30 to $40. I also got a pretty metal one that is white with purple flowers for $20 at a drug store

.My first cane was one that was dark with decorations on it.I found that once I started to think of it as an accessory it was easier to use.Good luck and as you said,we are support for you.Linda
  7. Tamsue

Tamsue New Member

Your rheumy is right some people don't believe. Just let it go and do what is right for you. My house is a mess too but going to the beach is better than cleaning any day. And yes I use my cane at the beach if I have too. I'm 46 and had a hard time at first. But I have more trouble with people thinking I shouldn't park in the handicap zone. I just look at them and say would you like to walk in my shoes for a day!!! And go on about my buisness I'm legal and my doctors know how much pain, muscle weakness, dissiness, and walking into walls and falling I do. Hang in there and just smile!

Tammy Sue