About work...especially to tigger57

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by beth0818, Nov 6, 2005.

1. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

stick it out. i have found that jobs are their hardest when you are new. i have also found that i don't hate my job, i just hate working hahaha. anyway, i know how you feel. i have an undergrad degree and work for $10.50 and hour. the only peron in my company with the same education as me is my administrator and I make less than everyone because I am younger.
  2. fivesue

fivesue New Member

3. JLH

JLH New Member

I agree with you, Beth, jobs are extremely stressful when you are new.

For you, I know it's tough to get paid less than everyone else because of your age. Also, to have a degree and not be paid for what you are really worth.

I think Tigger might be older, and that makes starting a new job even rougher. Especially, when you have to take orders from somebody younger who treats you like a senior citizen!

I certainly hope Tigger begins to like her job better. And... I hope you do well on yours, too!!!

Have a good day at work, gals!!!

...... I don't want to brag (Ha! Ha! LOL), but I am retired and don't have to go to work any more!!!!!! LOL

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. beth0818

beth0818 New Member

I can't wait to reach the wonderful age of 65 so I can stay home! I second you in hoping that tigger begins to like her job. I hate taking orders from anyone, so I can imagine taking orders from someone younger is especially hard.
  5. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I absolutely agree with you that the first couple of weeks of ANY job---even one you end up liking a lot---are awful! You are scrambling to learn lots of stuff at once & remember everything, you are adjusting to new surroundings & everybody's unique personalities, AND trying to do all this with the added burden of pain & fatigue that we always deal with.

I love my job now, couldn't imagine NOT working where I do, but I remember the first couple of weeks as being overwhelming and physically exhausting. So I think it's a good reminder that this is what we can expect for our first week or two, and to try & not let that color our whole attitude about the job.

You may be young, Beth, but that was great advice. Hopefully your supervisors will realize your worth & not let age be their guide, and reward you for it soon!

Hugs,
    Pam
  6. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I have been following your story for the last 2 years.I hope this job works for you.I am prayng for you.Linda
  7. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

was thinking about it today. The one thing I said to them was “I don’t do well if I’m just stuck at a computer. I’m a people person.” So, what do they have me doing… mailings all day. Oh, granted, I do them at the receptionist desk and answer the phone, but the rest of my day is doing mail merge documents and stuffing them. If I didn’t need the money so darn much, I’d tell them to stuff it.

I can’t quit, because I have nothing left… unemployment, no temp. disability… nothing. So, I collect a check until I find something else.

8. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Tigger,
    When I first moved to San Jose, just a few years out of the convent, I taught at a school where the first child to speak to me greeted me with a dirty joke. He was in the third grade. It got worse hourly. I spent the first semester teaching during the day and looking for a different assignment in my free time.

I was miserable. The children were rough, rude, violent and 2 - 4 years behind in their work. And the faculty were so at odds with the administration that they had a Faculty Senate, which means that they can meet in secret, and the administrators may never attend that meeting. They needed that for protection. Unhappiness and anger prevailed.

On top of that, I was a new bilingual teacher, and 1/2 the faculty was hostile towards me bacause of that, and made no bones about it. There were no redeeming features about this job. Even the pay was low. LOL

I stuck it out, and then, when I was laid off (a usual, yearly practice for new teachers, but I didn't know it - it has to do with budget), I was so crushed, and felt so unappreciated, that I lost it, and had to take sick leave for a couple of months.

When I returned the next year, we had a new principal and things just got better and better. They got more loving and positive, all around. That school ended up being my favorite assignment of all time. I stayed there 16 years.

I guess what I'm saying, is that if you can stick it out, without getting sick, then try to, because it just might get better. Your boss sounds very immature, and lacking in administrative skills. She is in for a rude awakening. But if it is making you sicker, then, is it worth it?

I want you to know that I am thinking of you, and praying. You deserve to be happy. So I'll be behind you, whatever decision you make.

Big hugs, and lots of prayers,
    Terry
    [This Message was Edited on 11/07/2005]
  9. Tigger57

Tigger57 New Member

Well, my job hasn't gotten any better. I have found that the people I work for are lacking in ethics among other things.

I do have an interview with another company on Monday. Hopefully that will be better. It is in a better location and I will not be a glorified receptionist.

And to whomever said I was older... that is true, I'm 48 and have a real hard time being treated like I don't have a brain in my head. I'm highly intuitive with common sense, and work with very smart people who have no common sense. I try to explain things to someone who won't even imagine that I might know someting just because I am older and have 30 years of experience behind me.

Thank you all, for thinking about me.
    Tigger