Absolutely Fabulous vist to the pain clinic!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kat_tastrophe, Oct 21, 2005.

1. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

My appointment was yesterday at 2:25 and I couldn't be more thrilled with how it went!

The office staff was so kind, the nurse and doctor were wonderful...it was great.

I had such a splitting headache by the time I got there because my shoulders, back and neck have been so tight, and before I mentioned it, the nurse that took me back said "What pain are we going to be working with you on today besides the headache?" So that said two things to me, ONE, I must have really looked like crap, and TWO that they both notice and care about the pain their patients are having.

The doctor could not have been more kind. Instead of poking and prodding he asked "If I touched you here would it hurt?"

He asked me a few questions, did a GENTLE neurological exam (asked me to push on his hand, pull outward, etc.). ASKED me if I am feeling any depression, and believed me when I said that I am sad that I can't/don't do the things I used to, but that I feel it's due to the pain, not the other way around.

Then he asked *ME* how I'd like to be treated for my pain.

He asked me if I wanted to be on narcotics, and I asked him how he felt about it. He told me if I understand that it could HELP, but would not completely remove the pain, then it would be helpful, because understanding that is very important.

I basically told him I'd try any suggestions he had. He told me that was great - he felt like I was really trying to help him help me.

So, I'm getting a TENS machine; I got a referral to a physical therapy group that does relaxation techniques, Tai Chi and Yoga as well as light massage therapy; a referral to a psychologist that works in the same office and specializes in treating chronic pain sufferers, and some Duragesic patches in the lowest dose available to start with.

I have my first follow-up next Thursday, as well as instructions to call with any and all questions and concerns.

I know I've written a book, and I apologize, but I'm so Thrilled with this clinic. For any of you in the Portland area, I HIGHLY recommend this office!

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend!

~Kat
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

So glad your appt. went well-sound like you have a good doctor! After years of searching, I, too, have finally found a good doctor who takes my FMS pain seriously. He put me on 20 mg. morphine, and while it doesn't take away all my pain, I am definitely better now and sleeping much better, too.

I hope whatever narcotic he puts you on that it helps. I am going to ask my doctor about a TENS unit. Others here have said it helps them.

Ellen
  3. gnanny

gnanny New Member

To hear such positive results, I am happy for you !
  4. huckee

huckee New Member

What pain clinic was it and are there others in diferent states?
    Huckee
  5. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I'm glad your appointment went so well. I hope the treatment plan works well.

I have a tens machine, I find mine helps. It doesn't eliminate my pain but it reduces it considerably most of the time.

I just scheduled a massage. I'm looking foraward to it greatly. I had a birthday last week and my husband thought of the perfect gift to make me feel better.

Have a peaceful weekend.
  6. kat_tastrophe

kat_tastrophe New Member

and it's called Pain Management Consultants, PC.

I don't know if they have offices in other areas, but I can ask.

~Kat
  7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I'm on waiting list in Scotland for pain clinic but it takes about a year to be seen.

I hope I'm treated as well as you have been.

love
    Rosie
  8. dancingstar

dancingstar New Member

It is really great to find an understanding doctor that you can trust. Doesn't it make you feel so much more secure?

9. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

a good experience with a pain management DR. I have not been that "lucky". I was sent to pain Dr. because of my Osteoarthritis, bone spurs, and a "worn out disc" in addition to FM.

Have seen two different DR's now and they both want me to have epidural injection.... I am really afraid of anything going into my spine.

I did have back surgery three years ago for a herrinated disc,(same one), and bone spur removal,did well for about two and a half years. Now same pain is back. My Ortho doc sent me because I do not want surgery...

Long story short both of these pain med Dr.'s are not wanting me to take pain meds. And I do not want to get the injections, so the last dr. gave me a very week pain med.
    Doesn't help at all...

So I go back in a month, trying to research the injections, HAS ANYONE HAD THIS TYPE OF INJECTION????

rrsbaby