Ac77

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, May 3, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Ace,

Please see my post to you under Minkeygirl's post on stimulants.

Love, Mikie
  2. AC77

AC77 New Member

THERE ARE ALWAYS THEORYS ON A 'SLIGHT SEIZURE STATE' IN MANY CHRONIC ILLNESS. STIMULANTS DO NOT INDUCE SEIZURES, EXCEPT IN OVERDOSE--HOWEVER, THEY ALSO DO NOT HELP SEIZURES.
    THEY CAN LOWER THE SEIZURE THRESHOLD....SO CAN ALCHOHAL AND A HOST OF OTHER SUBSTANCES. THEY AREN'T CONTRADICTED IN EPILEPSY, BUT CAUTION IS WARRANTED, JUST AS IT DOES WITH WELLBUTRIN. ALL A SEIZURE IS, IS ABNORMAL ELECTRICAL ACTIVITY OF THE BRAIN. THE ACTUAL SEIZURE ITSELF IS A SIGN OF THIS ACTIVITY. LIKE AN ABSCENSE SEIZURE, IS ALMOST NON APPARENT AND USUALY GOES UNDETECTED, NEVERTHELESS IT STILL HAPPENED.

TOO MUCH INFO TO GET INTO IN ONE POST. I DO THINK, HOWEVER, THAT LONG-TERM, HIGH DOSE USE IN SUSEPTIBLE INDIVIDUALS CAN CAUSE SO CALLED, NEURON BURN-OUT. I HAVE A FEELING IN THE NEXT 15 YEARS THIS WILL BE RECOGNIZED.
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for the info. I appreciate you input. Yes, I was familiar with the fact that the seizure activity which we experience is just misfiring of the neurons. That is why I always refer to it as the "slight seizure state" when I post as I don't want people to think we suffer from grand mal seizures.

What you call burning out the neurons is what Dr. Cheney refers to as "frying the brain," which I also think is a bit too much in terms of being scary.

This slight seizure state does produce some aggravating symptoms, though: Racing brain, inability to sleep, sensury overload, anziety, muscle spasms, and tinnitus. I am very glad the Klonopin seems to work well for me both night and day. I realized I had not been utilizing it well during the daytime. I was only taking it when I experienced a symptom. Now, I make sure I slip 1/4 of a .5 mg. tablet under my tongue a couple of times a day and it does seem to help with alertness.

I had high hopes with the Provigil, but the paradoxical effect (or possibly the interaction with the Klonopin, which I didn't take during the daytime when on the Provigil) made my symptoms worse during the day. As a child, I am sure I suffered from ADHD and that may explain the paradoxical effect.

How do you feel about the long-term effects of taking Klonopin? I have heard that it, like antidepressants, causes permanent changes in the brain. What changes are these? I do know that there are some here who have taken Klonopin at the same dose for years. I appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Love, Mikie
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Bumpity, bump, bump.

Love, Mikie
  5. AmyKaiser

AmyKaiser New Member

Mikie...can u or will you tell me whats this Bump, or Bumpity Bump..or Bumpity Bump Bump about..LOL
    Amy
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Each time a post receives a response it "bumps" it back up to the top of the list of posts. Sometimes we just respond to bump the post back up.

Love, Mikie