Acai Berries and other superfoods

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wanderingbluedragon, Feb 6, 2009.

1. wanderingbluedragon

wanderingbluedragon New Member

I was curious if anyone had tried to incorporate any of the "superfoods" in their diets? I am horribly depressed about the weight I've gained this past 8 months and decided to wean out empty calories from my diet a little at a time. I've been reading about the new miracle food, Acai berries and bought some juice. Apparantly Acai berries, pomegranates, and blueberries are very high in antioxidants. I have made little changes to my diet, nothing extreme, and included drinking Acai juice, eating more veggies, and changing my bread to 100% whole grain wheat. I am hoping that switching my diet some will help me have a little more energy and improve my overall health. Has anyone tried this? What has your experience been? I am on no medication at this point for my FM and ME/CFS. These diseases (that's what I call em for lack of a better term) have made it extremely hard for me to exercise and keep weight off and I am becoming increasingly depressed because of the weight I have gained. Does anyone have any tips or advice, things that worked for them? I would appreciate any help.

Blue
  2. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

Hi Blue--
    I have drank the acai berry juice (Bom Dia brand, from the grocery store) for about a year when I could afford it...then a friend of mine bought me three bottles of the Mon Amie brand so I've been drinking it almost daily since the end of December...I was skeptical (she's also very sick w/ FM and acute Asthma) but started drinking it and one thing I noticed right away is that I haven't had any heartburn...none!

I have needed less pain meds-- can't say for sure whether or not that alone is the reason but I feel it is of some benefit. Plus, I didn't pay for it...don't know that I would spend that much on a bottle in my financial situation but so far I've noticed it has helped. My 12 year old daughter drinks it every day as well and she was the only one who didn't get sick a few weeks ago...who knows! Eating better quality foods certainly can't hurt! It tastes good too. My friend is still housebound during the winter due to her health but her energy level is way up and she's not even on any strong meds now. She's been drinking it for about 6 months or longer.
    Cindy
    I also eat blueberries and have been eyeing the pomegranates...love them but have bladder problems (which the acai does not irritate).
  3. PVLady

PVLady New Member

Both my husband and I have been using "Miracle Reds" for months. The changes have been wonderful. I believe it really decreases inflammation. Miracle Reds is red powder you can add to water or protein drinks. You can read about it on the net.
  4. star273

star273 New Member

I to have been on Jus 23 for about 6 months now. Its actually cheaper then the Mona Vi. I have to say, if I had to choose one thing to take, it would be that... It has helped tremendously with the pain and inflammation. I to also have asthma and it has helped with that. I think it helps overall. I think its good for your body whether you have FM or not... I give it to my husband who starts chemo on Monday for colon cancer. His oncologist told me he believe it works so well, that I should take my husband off of it while he is doing his treastments because it could make the treatments not work. He said he has heard so many good things about the Acai berry..
    Hope you find something that works..
    I believe it works for me.
  5. star273

star273 New Member

I to have been on Jus 23 for about 6 months now. Its actually cheaper then the Mona Vi. I have to say, if I had to choose one thing to take, it would be that... It has helped tremendously with the pain and inflammation. I to also have asthma and it has helped with that. I think it helps overall. I think its good for your body whether you have FM or not... I give it to my husband who starts chemo on Monday for colon cancer. His oncologist told me he believe it works so well, that I should take my husband off of it while he is doing his treastments because it could make the treatments not work. He said he has heard so many good things about the Acai berry..
    Hope you find something that works..
    I believe it works for me.
  6. hopabout

hopabout New Member

Dear Blue,
    I have had these illnesses (there's a long list FMS/CFIDS/IC/UC/Celiac..... goes on and one)
    for many years. In reality, we were born with them just that different cycles in our life and stresses inside our bodies brought some out to "dance."

The brain is the total powerhouse. It gives instruction when it is working right to do everything we are suppose to do. To scratch and itch, cry when sad, laugh when happy, etc.
    Unfortunately, we got a little short changed in the sensory and emotion department.

It is not uncommon for people to think that yummy potatoes and yummy breads even whole wheat make them feel better and give them comfort. One of my favorite people on chat has a website with macaroni and cheese recipe! These foods seem to give us a sense of reward and emotional stability, but unfortunately temporarily.

Since my family ALL have the illnesses below, 7 of us and more... I study.... the more I study, the more I learn and the better I am. Let me share something with you.

"In a Northern General Hospital Trust / Centre for Human Nutrition in UK, the effects of a high-fat meal on a person’s mood – or more specifically, the influence of a fatty meal on a person’s reception to pain – have been demonstrated.

In this particular experiment, 16 volunteers (8 male and 8 female) were treated to pancake meals with varying fat content before being subjected to a Cold Pressor Test (CPT), which is essentially a cold-induced pain tolerance test. What the researchers found was interesting. It appeared that the people who ingested the high-fat, low carbohydrate pancake meals 1.5 hour before the CPT experienced a greater reduction in pain reception compared to those who had the low-fat (high-carbohydrate) meals of the equal calorie content. The researchers concluded from their study that food, especially when rich in fat, may reduce the amount of pain a person feels." If you put some words in that first paragraph in search, you can find this study.

With every single study I have found on autism, eplilepsy, schizophrenia, bipolar, adhd and even some comments on sudden death syndrome, the reduction in the diet of gluten products greatly improved the individual. Those are: BROW, Barley, Rye, Oats and Wheat..... NONE!
    And, after reading and going on the Shoemaker Protocol here on PH, I have reduced my amylose. That would be foods that grow in dirt.... carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, yucca, beets. (though you are allowed onion)

I promise you that if you can let go of the need to be emotionally stable with food and omit anything WHITE from your diet. (that means milk too.... and cheese) Begin your day with protein only, nothing more. East a big piece of baked chicken. Then, you will not only loose weight, you will feet better and better and though you can't be completely healed of a genetic illness, you can overcome it.

I am not preaching here, I have the exact same problems you do.

While you are at it, I don't know of Shoemaker knows what he is saying or not.... but it makes more since to me than anything since Marshall Protocol which I can't afford. Dr. Shoemaker also has written diet books and books about Mold with other doctors that make perfect sense.

In his theory he induces Actos which is a diabetes/insulin drug.... This prepares you for the induction of Cholesterol drug and stops its action that is so similar to Fibro in the body.... the cholesterol is still reduced but the Actos helps somehow.

YOu have NO idea how much better I felt in only 1 week with that Protocol and the above diet.

Eating is a way of life, if we could all just stop doing it, cold turkey it would be so much better, but with bad underlying thyroid problems, bad weight gain without reduction, it makes our emotions even worse and the frig is the first place we go to find comfort. That's a brain thing ! Well, fight it ! don't let it win!

Talk to your doctor about the Shumaker Protocol.... find it here on this website.
    And, think about deciding to WIN the battle. There are tons of things you can have.... all greens, lettuce, cabbage, mustard greens, kale, spinish, cauliflour, broccoli, green beans, all salad things except carrots and radishes.... cucumbers are my snack food and I love celery, ALMONDS, awsome snack that's my Chat room snack at night... meats, omega 3 musts! and anything that will bring more protein into your body. I use Olive Oil for cooking and on my salads. I also use a essential 8 sugar supplement.

Win ! You can.

I hope I helped.
    hopabout