Accept it, and feel worse?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JPach007, Sep 14, 2005.

1. JPach007

JPach007 New Member

Has anyone ever kept pushing through each day struggling to get out of bed, thinking you are just working too hard, fibro hitting, no sleep. Then...10 years later, finding out its all Fibromyalgia...Dont accept it...just keep pushing yourself..it'll go away. Nope...Then...one day you accept it and just give in....Ok..this is what I have..now what. Thats the stage I'm at...I'm taking Ambien for my RLS and 2 Mirapex (one to get me to sleep and the other 2 keep me asleep), I joined water aerobics, cut 4 hours from my work week, seeing the Chiropractor 2 times a week...All this, and I actually think I feel worse! How can that be?
  2. KJ2003

KJ2003 New Member

I agree with naturebaby. When I was off all medication for a few months, it gave me a chance to really see where I was at with my health problems.

Because of pain, my 'quality of life' went to zero. I was completely exhausted and my attitude was horrible. I felt bad all over (achy body, burning pain, shooting pains, spasms, etc.) and it affected all areas of my life, even my ability to connect with other human beings. Even my family. Sometimes I would go to work and close the door to my office (something I've never done), simply because I could not bring myself to have even a brief conversation with my co-workers, whom I really like. I only had energy to survive in my life and let me tell you, this is no way to live.

As I've said a thousand times lately, my doctor put me on Tramadol and Neurontin, which I affectionately call my damnitall and neurotic meds.

You might want to ask your doctor about these medications. They've helped me immensely.

Let us know how it goes!

Chin up,

Kim

3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

JPach007:
    Oh, it can turn out that way. I never overdo anything anymore. My body will not let me without suffering the
    consequences later. Like you, I pushed for the first year or so and paid dearly for it. No more for me.
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I do the same as you. I just figure I can’t live my life on the couch so I get up every morning and go to work – take the girls to their activities – go to my meetings & appointments – coach the teams that need to be coached – buy the groceries – the things that suffer in my life are the house work & laundry. Once I get home at night I just fall down and start again the next day.

I have started closing my office at 4:00 on Fridays and having someone else in to answer the phones one day a week so I can get my housework done but I feel bad for doing that.

The dr is giving me something, as of today, to help me sleep – hope this helps!

Glad to hear I’m not alone – I’m not one to just give up!

Kelly
  5. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Kelly:
    Some of us do not give up. I was told by my doctor what to do. Some of us are so sick we have constant doctor appointments for various ills. Giving up doesn't mean just 'lying on the couch'. (Do not be mad at me for saying this, OK?)
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  6. justjanelle

justjanelle New Member

but it may be that the "feeling worse" is not due to your "accepting it" but just that it's the way the condition goes!

I know there are a lot of us here who just kept pushing as long as we could -- with or without diagnosis -- and then found a time when we just couldn't do it anymore.

For me, that stage came before I had a diagnosis, and I was so sick I was bedridden and actually feared I had something terminal! (This after years of struggle and many doctors assuring me I was perfectly healthy when I knew otherwise.)

Finally getting a diagnosis meant I could get some medications and begin to recover enough to have some semblance of a normal life. Like you, I do the things I can do to stay as healthy as I can -- but there are going to be times when you're going to be in a worse stage in spite of your best efforts.

I take comfort in the knowledge that these bad periods are going to pass. I know with proper rest and care I'll come out on the other side of it -- not "well" but back to my usual 50% or so.

I don't know if that's any help to you or not. I hope so.

Best wishes,
    Janelle
  7. ldbgcoleman

ldbgcoleman New Member

I know how you feel. The wole thing is so difficult to deal with. The unpredictability drove me crazy. I think it really helps to pace yourself. When I had a good day I tended to over do it and paid for it later. I would also recommend stretching every morning and night. That has really helped me.

Also find a doctor who will help you. You have underlying issues causing this and you need to get to the root of the problem and treat that. Please don't give up. Keep searching fopr answers. Lunn
  8. chp1298

chp1298 New Member

I too have to struggle daily with constant pain, awful insomnia and feeling as if I let everyone down and no one understands. My family knows I feel badly but I cant just give up and lay down. I sleep maybe 3-4 hrs get up commute and hr to work come home and do just what I can get by with and collapse with pain meds. I just cannot cook at night so I have started cooking on Saturday several meals for during week. Honestly my most painful dys are Sat and Sun because I do so much more physical work at home. My job is at a computer so mostly my upper body hurts and I am so fatigues. At home my lower body ached so badly I cry.

I also have arthritis and have had knee replacement and I try to ride a recumbent bike(the only exercise I can do) several times a week to keep the knee lose but sometimes I am so tired I cant do it.

Hang in there and know theer are others out here that feel the same way. DOnt give up! I keep praying and hoping for better health, new,better drugs or even a CURE>

9. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

I thought I could continue to work since I was a receptionest and help desk so was sitting all day. But then my RSD went full body instead of just in my feet and legs and the Fibro was kicking in in the evening. But the pain got worse despite the drugs. So I had to quit. Couldn't get on disability. There went the health insurance so decided it was a good time to wean off my meds and re-evaluate what I really needed. I find that if I 'accept' my pain and tiredness I am not giving in nor giving up. Each day is a battle to win. I first had to go through mourning over losing my past life.

It's the emotional heart that makes us who we are. I know some people who are strong physically but who should be made to hand in their human being badge because they don't deserve one.

You are still a strong and valuable person, JPach. And if anyone says differantly, let me know and I'll hit them over the head with my pillow. LOL.
  10. yagottalaff

yagottalaff New Member

Hi, JPach007 --

Dollars to donuts you are a classic Type A personality. I am. I think most of us with CFIDS & FM fit into that dubious category. I read many years ago (I'm into my 19th year and can no longer work) about Aggressive Rest Therapy. Besides cracking me up, it actually made sense. It's still very hard for me to do, since I have some OCD constantly lurking about. The idea is that you rest BEFORE you become exhausted. Heresey! But it's someting you might try -- after the acceptance part. You may have to face some diffcult decisions and admit that you can no longer do things at the same level as you were used to. That starts the grieving process. Wheeee!! But, for me anyway, once I gritted my teeth and faced up to my "new" life, things got easier. There wasn't always this big conflict going on inside of me. I must confess, however, that the drive to keep looking for the "magic bullet" has never left me, and that brings up hope, which sometimes gets into a fight with acceptance. And then I begin again. I wish you luck in this very difficult transition.