Access Clinical denied me for their Program 2 donate Plamsa .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by spacee, Oct 8, 2008.

1. spacee

spacee Member

I faxed them my medical labs which were only two ANA's and Two Ana Profiles Reflex. I am positive for Sjogren's.

Their representative called me tonight and told me that I was not eligible because me T-cell count was too low. This lab test has not been done on me in several years and was NOT submitted.

I asked her how they could tell it was low. And she said the aquity of how they read the labs.

Hmmm. I wonder. I think it was because I told her I had been studied at the NIH for that.

Oh well, certainly don't want to do anything that would hurt me or anyone else.

Just letting you know!

[This Message was Edited on 10/08/2008]
  2. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Please don't even try... nobody knows if CFS/FM (or whatever is really causing the symptoms) is infectious/contagious. Its a bad idea for anyone with an illness of unknown cause (including autoimmune diseases) to donate blood. You are just potentially putting others at risk...

Don't mean to come accross as harsh, but I just really think its a bad idea.
  3. simonedb

simonedb Member

yea there is some evidence that not only is some of this stuff contagious but can alter dna channel/health/ dn14658-universal-childhood-virus-is-inherited-in-dna.html
    [This Message was Edited on 10/08/2008]
  4. spacee

spacee Member

I was interested in the research part(not the part to be given to patients)...but you are correct..someone could have mishandled it and been in contact with it.

5. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

that if you are donating for research purposes there is probably nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't worry about things being mishandled because these people are trained well and deal with much more contagious and communical diseases than FM/CFS.

Although I definitely wouldn't donate for patient use.
  6. spacee

spacee Member

I woke up this morning with a pic in my mind of researchers wearing masks and protective garb!

7. mylilcherub428

mylilcherub428 New Member

and thought u were donating but I saw the post about this and the donation was just for research you would not need to worry spacee about anyone "catching" fibro from you because the whole point of it was for sick people to be donating blood so I am sure they protect themselves -Kim
  8. texasrose204

texasrose204 New Member

I also faxed them my labs which were done last couple weeks. Said i was denied because my d/s ana was not high enough. Of course i do not know enough yet about reading the labs, but know my c3c was high my lupus is flaring at this time! I was hoping that this would work out helping research and making some money also!
  9. sophiekk

sophiekk New Member

You're probably better off. I know perfectly healthy people who felt really sick & weird for a couple of days after donating plasma. Probably not a good thing to do if your energy isn't great anyway.
  10. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Oh I guess if its for a research study and you fit the criteria then its cool, but if it has the chance to be used for patients (ie normal blood/plasma donors) its a really bad idea... I got "CFS" (or whatever I really have) after surgery where I was give 4 blood transfusions.

I can never be sure what triggered my illness, it might have nothing to do with the transfusions, but I really hope somebody with CFS/FMS didn't knowingly donate the blood that I got...

11. Atlanta8

Atlanta8 New Member

Trauma from a major operation is often a trigger for CFS in itself. I think the chance of getting CFS from a transufusion is almost 0, but I do agree it is still an unknown so we should definately avoid it.

I was at my thyroid doc's today, and he said that thyroid troubles can be triggered by major ops - have you had that checked out? (and I don't just mean TSH - that's apparently a useless test!)

Spacee, sorry you didn't qualify :(
  12. spacee

spacee Member

I figured it was not meant to be. At the moment, I can only make it to Walmart on a good day. Low Adrenals and maybe Thyroid. Hopefully going to see an Endocrinologist

I know I did the low adrenals to myself when we had some redoing of our house. It took months, I had to go to Home Depot and literally pickup everything and then volunteered to make lunch for the workers. Oh, my, I lived on cokes and Brand name ultram. Fake energy.

Now I am drinking a glass of salted water in the AM, got to get some iodine to try, and taking the generic Ultram (which makes me sleepy) during the day to get extra rest. And not pushing the exercising so hard.

Don't do that to yourselves, if you can help it!! Sometimes to have to get things done.

13. akandmk

akandmk New Member

as a young teen i contracted syphilis and although i was treated i hold a small titer. My husband and i have been strapped for cash so he donates plasma twice a week. I know that even if they overlooked the titer because i can't give it to anyone there is that problem of the meds that i am on. I never considered that this might be spreadable. Thanks for that link i am definitely going to check that out.
  14. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Yeah I had my thyroid checked out. I am on 30mg of armour but it hasn't effected my symptoms. My numbers improved to the top of the "normal" range and my TSH went down, but my body temp didn't normalize (although it did go up) and my fatigue symptoms didn't get better. I got CFS 6 months after my operation, after a period of clear improvement after the surgery. So I doubt the surgey itself triggered the CFS. It may well have weakened by system, but I got sick with an acute illness 6 months later and have never been the same since...
  15. spacee

spacee Member

If you can't tell any difference on the Armour...why do you take it?

Just wondering...

16. acer2000

acer2000 New Member

Because it normalized my labs and made my thyroid less inflamed (it was somewhat enlarged). I was told unless I took it (despite the small dose), my thyroid would get worse and my TSH would continue to go up. If I don't take it, I have more fatigue now... but it didn't resolve my "CFS" symptoms... It would be nice if the extent of my illness was just my thyroid, but it appears that its not...

I am not really clear as to why my thyroid took a hit in the first place. But apparently, like you said, surgery can do it. I was hoping when they first found that my thyroid was low, it would account for all my symptoms. But it appears I am also still sick with something... :-( Thus I now carry the "CFS" dx because nobody can figure it out... [This Message was Edited on 10/11/2008]