Accomplishing, sticking to goals?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sunshyne1027, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

What helps others, or any suggestions on some things..

How do you stick to something you want to accomplish or accomplish goals? What would help in sticking to it, not giving up?

Examples.. Dieting, exercising on a regualr basis, quitting smoking, things that are good for you, things that you know you should do, but then get offtrack. Then stop doing them?

2. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The only thing I can think of is to get into a routine, and be sure to keep to it no matter what else is going on.

Like a diet, its always a very self centered thing to do. You have to plan the day before what you are going to eat, and when to eat it. Be consistent though. If you mess up, then the next meal go back to the diet. Don't give up.

If you have problems, then keep notes on the fridge, keep a daily journal, that always helps.

If its vitamins, buy one of those litte weekly boxes to put them in. They are marked for each day, and the time of day. They come in a weeky supply or two week supply type. That helps me take my supplements everyday without forgetting and not taking the same thing twice.

As for the smoking, thats a tough one. My husband did it by prayer, and cold turkey. When he wanted a cigarette, he prayed for the feeling to pass. Works for some, but may not work for others. He has not smoked a cigarette in over 12 years now.

Or set a timer, smoke one on the hour each hour, but none in between. That also works for many people. Then space it to an hour and a half, then two hours. Before you know it, you will 'forget' to smoke the cigarette on the desiginated time! If you goof up, then just go back on the next time period and don't give up.

No matter what you are trying to do, if you goof up, don't give up, just start over again.

HOpe I understood you right here, sure was trying :)

Shalom, Shirl

[This Message was Edited on 07/12/2003]
  3. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Shirl, thanks so much. Yes, its what I was getting at. It was hard too.. to explain what I was thinking when posting the subject..LOL.

Thanks for all the suggestions, great ones!

I havn't gotton to taking supplements yet, just cannot afford them right now. Soon as I can, will look more into it. First ones would be for sleep, then fatigue and the pain.

4. teach6

teach6 New Member

I have made short term goals for myself such as I will rest for 15 minutes every morning and I will do it for 4 days out of 7. Then after beingn successful with that a few times I can switch or add something else to it. That would be especially a good thing to try for exercise.

Good luck. It's tough when we have days we don't feel like doing anything at all.

Barbara
  5. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

It gets boring, yes, but it is what works for me. After spending eight hours at a computer at work, I have to work the bod, so go to the gym for water aerobics, stretching, etc. This is NOT a choice. For work I put on my uniform, and grab my pocketbook/gymbag. Not a decision, routine.

I do have those pill packs Shirl talks about but still have trouble remembering to take things on time or at all (my supplements are spaced throughout the day). Maybe I should have the d___ thing implanted on my body.

Fondly, June
  6. Sunshyne1027

Sunshyne1027 New Member

Thanks to all that offered some suggestions and ways to stick to it. Its much appreciated!