Accupuncture

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FoggyDayz, Mar 23, 2006.

1. FoggyDayz

FoggyDayz New Member

has anyone tried this for FM pain? I live in the middle of nowhere and met a neighbor recently who does this for a living. She actually is an accupuncturist for race horses, her husband is a retired jockey and they own two thourobreds (sp?), but does accupuncture for humans as well. She said she can do it right in her home and to let her know if I'd be interested.
  2. Rainshadow

Rainshadow New Member

It has worked really well for me. It causes you to completely relax all over and a session is as restful as a nice nap. It seems to make the pain less irritating if that makes any sense. One time she actually made a specific pain go away for weeks. This morning I went in with aching neck and shoulders that had been that way for days. I felt great relief afterwards. I always have some pain but it's at a low threshold now whereas I was practically crawling the walls the past few days. Hope this helps.
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Didn't help at all.
  4. Tmprincess

Tmprincess New Member

I personally have not tried it, but hear a lot of people around here talking about how it relieves their pain... I'd really like to know more about the long term effects this has on us. I've read a couple of reports stating that it produces and releases substance P into the body, and we already have high levels of substance P.

I have no doubt it provides relief... my concern, is what are the long term repercussions? ~ Open to feedback

TM~
  5. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I asked this very same question not long ago. I rec'd a response from a Chinese woman who said she felt you needed to be open minded for it to work.
    I say give it a try. I havent' yet but may do so soon.
  6. sues1

sues1 New Member

Will medical insurance cover this and what is the cost roughly?

I am sure it varies from Dr. to Dr. But I would like an idea on the fees.
  7. halo52208

halo52208 New Member

I've had it done when I was first dx and it got rid of my hip pain that nothing else could. I wish I could afford to get it done more often, but my insurance won't pay for it and I can't afford it right now. But if you can, go for it because it helps balance the body and rid the body of toxins. Drink lots of water afterwards to fluch the toxins out of your body.

Halo
  8. zoemurr

zoemurr New Member

and didn't notice anything.. but she was very big on the "you need to believe".. and I thought I did.. but she didn't think so. Anyway, I have BC/BS and they paid for 1/2 of 10 sessions. I think I paid $15 or $20 each time. Not bad.

I would say give it a try though.
  9. CASA02

CASA02 New Member

My insurance covered 80% - anthem/bc/bs (rubber workers union) I had the needles and she did cuppling for my back - look it up (cuppling) if you don't know about it - heating up of glass 'cups' and as they cool on your back they cause suction - it helped wonderfully for the 12 to 18 hours after treatment and then I would have a terrible flare - I went several times, thinking maybe the flares were the "bad energy, toxins, etc" releasing from my body - but, finally, I just could not fight the flares any longer - I just wish I could get the relief that followed the treatment (I felt completely normal and pain free for the next 12/18 hours) TRY IT - others have wonderful results - I wish you MUCH SUCCESS! - call your insurance company first - i think there was a maximum treatments per year on ours (maybe 26 or so)
  10. ericdinbstn

ericdinbstn New Member

Dear Foggy-

I tried accupuncture. I went for a treatment the other day and it worked wonders. They actually used heat and little electric pulses through the needles which worked amazingly well. I'm going back for another session on Friday and I can't wait.

Eric