Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by akwildflower, Jun 16, 2008.

1. akwildflower

akwildflower New Member

Anyone try accupuncture? I am seriously considering it these days. Let me know what everyoe thinks.

2. findmind

findmind New Member

Six acupuncture treatments took away 90% of my FM pain, and lasted for 5-6 years.

The brilliant, highly trained dr. who did mine is retired now, and one other I tried was not effective at all.

Do try to find the most highly recommended one you can afford; it was well worth the money to me!

3. willas

willas New Member

I tried electroacupuncture as a last resort for very painful tendonitis. After the 1st treatment I pain free for about 24 hours for the 1st time in about 6 months. I did 3 treatments a week for about a month & the pain & tendonitis completely resolved. I would have continued to address other issues but it was not covered by my insurance at that time & I couldn't afford it. Now that it is covered by my insurance, I plan to go back as soon as I find someone on the plan.
    I will pass on that from my experience, find an acupuncturist trained in China, the training is very different than that in the states. They will usually recommend some herbal cocktails, which I didn't find particularly beneficial so I discontinued them & went back to the ones I was taking prior but at least give them a try. Also, have an open mind about the experience & give it at least a month of the prescriped weekly treatments before making a decision because, although most people have immediate improvement, sometimes it can take several treatments before you notice a significant improvement.
    Good luck! I hope you like it.
  4. landra

landra New Member

And I take the chinese loose herbs often in spring for allergies - they do n0ot taste good but they WORK! [I am basically allergic to all Western herbs.]

I think accupuncture has kept me from bottoming out. I used it for stress and illnesses while still working. I have used it for residual knee pain/swelling after arthroscopic surgery, for bad back, for allergies and for "the flu."

I go to a school of accupuncture which means students work on me. But teachers come in and check on every patient (they use pulses for diagnosis). It makes it really low-cost and I have gone for so long that now they call me to "fill in slots". I had the electoaccupuncture today on my back- and it is looser than it has been in I don't remember when!

Try it! It has not cured my CFS, but it has sure helped with the symptoms and all kinds of other things I have.
  5. Honora88

Honora88 Member

People swear by tong ren. Alot of people I know do both.

Tong ren has more practitioners here in MA than accupuncturists.
  6. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I also like cupping.
  7. andreake

andreake New Member

I have tried 2 different Dr's probably 10 sessions a piece and did not notice a significant difference.

Worth a try though