Achey legs get worse at night can't sleep

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosemarie, Aug 20, 2008.

1. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

I have tried every thing I can think of to get my legs to stop acheing. But nothing so far helps. For the past month my legs from the knee's down have throbbed, ached, hurt clear to the bone. I am really good at taking my pain meds but at night when it is really late I can't take any more for a few hours and I am in so much pain that I am crying. I even took a hot bath tonight just to ease the never ending ache. As long as my legs were warmed up the pain eased but as soon as I was out of the tub they went right back to throbbing.

I am at my wits end now. Don't know what to do?
  2. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

No how ya feel, lyrica is the only thing that has helped me. I take it on an irregular basis when it gets to that stage where im going crazy and need a good nights sleep without the achey legs keeping me awake. Tramal also helped the pain but kept me awake, so a no win for me there.
    Not sure where you live , but in australia there is a linament they use for horses called rapigel that worked great. Alot of people with arthritis use it also. It does get uncomfortable wearing a saddle though, lol.
    good luck
  3. campbeck97

campbeck97 New Member

Hi i just went to the Dr. two days ago with mine and she thought it might be tendoitis, along with the fibro. Mine is the same lower leg pain from knee to ankle and in the front of leg only.very painful but no redness or swelling. My Dr. also found some very painful triggor points on exam so ordered a cream to apply called EMLA thats made with lidocaine and prilocaine to numb up those areas. The only other thing she mentioned was to rest them, elevate them and dont overdue. she also said when they do start to feel better to do some light tendon stretches and if you are able to take antiinflammatories drugs that they might help.(I cant take them) My legs also feel better while warm in tub but relief is fleeting.I havent used numbing ceam yet as my pharmacy had to order it in.So sorry your hurting with this, its very painful. God Bless you and hope you find some relief soon.I take morhine daily and it does nothing for the leg pain.
  4. luvtusew

luvtusew New Member

Hello Rosemarie,
    I keep a heating pad plugged next to my bed. It also has a timer I set in case I fall back asleep. The heating pad I use you can use with or without moisture.
    I recently complained to my sister that it works great but when the pain is in more than one place I'm at a loss. She suggested buying a heating pad matress cover and setting it before I get into bed. She has one and says it has 2 settings for each side of the bed ( in case your partner does not like too much heat)
    I hope this helps. Good luck
  5. luv2float

luv2float New Member

I use rubbing alcohol 70%, just slop it all over my legs before going to bed. Not sure what it does but it sure helps me.

good luck and best wishes
  6. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

and I mean very light stretching!!! That helps me. I don't like to do it because it's uncomfortable. But if I can sit on the floor, with the soles of my feet together, and lean forward as much as I can (feeling exertion but not mind-numbing pain) for a few minutes, it really helps my achy legs and hips.

If the soles of your feet won't come together and touch, just bring them in as far as they will go and lean forward.

Your experience may vary.

Love and hugs.

7. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I had very achy legs for a long time. It has subsided greatly. Like jaminhealth, I gave up red meat since my rheumy advised me to because it is so inflammatory. In addition, he suggested that I give up nightshade veggies (peppers, eggplant, tomatoes, potatoes/ as well. I slide on that one a little, but for the most part I try to adhere, and I have noticed a significant difference. In addition, I did start taking Grapeseed extract awhile ago (thanks jam!) and I feel so, so much better and the achiness in my legs is virtually gone for the most part. I do understand how you feel about keeping your legs warm; whenever I don't feel so great, I dive into some warmer clothes and it helps the achiness. I really do dread the winter coming--that's when the leg (and foot) pain seem to be at their worst. Also, the air conditioning doesn't help--we're supposed to be in an energy crisis and the cost of fuel is through the roof, yet every place I go seems to have their a/c on full blast. Go figure.

[This Message was Edited on 08/21/2008]
  8. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Guys, I wouldn't mention this stuff if it wasn't absolutely awesome. makes the BEST muscle rub I've tried. Not smelly. But a little pricey. Believe me, I'm on a budget. And I make sure I'm never out.

I honestly don't think I could hold down this job without a jar in my briefcase.

Rubbing some into my achy legs before bedtime helps tremendously.

Love and hugs.

9. sweetbeatlvr

sweetbeatlvr New Member

my legs have been aching something firece lately.

it seems like it's worse at night, when i'm trying to lie down and relax, and go to sleep.

it keeps me from sleeping, it's terrible.

i think my leg pain is radiating from my hips right now, and my tailbone, as i have knots all around them.

i know what you mean about the pain meds too. the amount i am prescribed, does not allow me to take any at night. if i did save it for the night time, i would be in pain during the day. and if i let it go too long, it's hard to get a handle on it.

i've done what a previous poster said with lying a heating pad over the tops of my legs, and also soaking in a tub.

both are temporary, but when you have pain that is unrelenting, just a little bit of relief is a Godsend.

i hope you can get some reief soon.
  10. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention before. When my feet and lower legs really hurt, I put epsom salts into a very warm foot bath and soak them for about 20 minutes or so. I have one of those footbaths that bubble--like a jacuzzi for the feet. It was really cheap, about twenty bucks but so worth it. The next day, my feet and lower legs always feel better.

11. spacee

spacee Member

Wondering if you have had your Vit D levels checked. Low levels can give you achey leg muscles. My twin has low levels and I have one High out of range and one Low out of range.

A person with low seems to need at least 2,000 units per day and may need as much as 4,000 units.

Just thought I would mention it.

12. jewels920

jewels920 New Member

Thanks for the tip! I priced a big bottle on Amazon for $38--roughly half what I was paying for the other stuff! I'm going to try it!