Achilles Tendon Question...

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by KateMac329, Apr 12, 2006.

1. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Do any of you have problems with your achilles tendons?

I have major pain in mine! They ache and hurt so bad and when I get up from any type of sitting position it takes me a few steps before I can walk normal because it feels like they have shrank. (if that makes any sense!)

I would like to know if anyone else has this pain and if you do what do you do for it? I stretch several times a day just to keep them from burning but they are starting to keep me awake at night.

Any input is welcome!!!

kate
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  2. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

Bumping for anyone who can help. Thanks!

kate
  3. cookstove

cookstove New Member

Check with your physician or a podiatrist for exercises to do to help the tendon stay stretched.

Mine finally got so painful that the orthopedic surgeon stretched one of the tendons when he did bone surgery on my foot.

He is encouraging me to have the other one stretched. As they tighten up and shorten, they cause serious foot problems. The pain is just one of them.

Hope you can find some exercises to help you or at least give you some relief from the pain.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've had the terrible achilles tendon pain before. Maybe 3 or 4 times over past 15 years. Is VERY painful. Looking back I think for me, it might have started each time when I changed sneaker styles and the heel/ankle put pressure on the achilles and caused a sort of bruising. But instead of healing in a few days, always seems to last 4 - 6 months. I have NO IDEA what ever brought about healing.

I remember one time mentioning it to my Neuro at the Muscular Dystrophy clinic and he just said, "I'm so sorry".
  5. street129

street129 New Member

katemac329, i do suffer with acillies in both foot, i wear a SiliposĀ® Achilles Heel Sleeve.
    copy and paste this below in your search engine

http://www.footsmart.com/ProductList.aspx?productCategoryId=190

it you dont know how to copy and paste, then just type footsmart.com good luck.oh i have the one for 19.99, and my foot feel great
    [This Message was Edited on 04/13/2006]
  6. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

Mine were injured in an automobile accident. I braced myself with my legs when I saw it was going to happen, and my legs took much of the impact.

Limped around, babied them, did everything for about a year.

Then, they both detached at the heels. I had to have surgery on both, if you can believe it.

Do take care of those things. Do the stretching, ultrasound can help them, ice them and then stretch, and baby them.
  7. oholland

oholland New Member

Also had one of mine injured in an automobile accident. Well, really had the right one torn out and had to have a tendon from another part of my leg taken out and split and grafted into my heel to make me a new achilles tendon.

It took about a year before I could walk again. It only partially grafted but that was better than being cripple.

Exercise those puppies and do your stretches on a daily basis. Walk around tippy toe if possible. That really gives them a good work out. That's what they had me doing in pt. I never realized how important an achilles tendon could be.

Olivia
  8. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member

THANK YOU so much EVERYONE for all your help and advice!

My ankles are just screaming at me in pain and also I don't know if this makes sense but they feel really uncomfortable like I want to claw them off of me. I know that sounds weird but it is such a great discomfort that it is on my mind CONSTANTLY!

Yesterday I got some ACE ankle braces but had to take them back because a medium was to small which is weird because I don't have fat ankles. I got a large today and those were still to tight.

I know the purpose of the brace is to be tight but the stitching on the edges of the brace is what was too tight, it dug into my skin.

So I took those back and tried another brand, don't remember the name of it but this one is black and has all these velcro straps that you can use to adjust to be comfortable.

Street: Thank you for the advice on the website. I ordered a pair of Spira tennis shoes and a pair of Teva sandals AND the ankle sleeve things you suggested. I bought the braces at the store today because I need something to hold me over until my order came. I really appreciate the suggestion.

I am vowing to take better care of my feet and ankles which in turn I believe will help with my ankle, leg, hip and back pain. DUH! LOL I have just been to worried about style before but no more!!!

Okay thanks all!

((HUGS))

kate

9. KateMac329

KateMac329 New Member