Aching Legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jun 26, 2009.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

How many experience severe aching legs?? It feels like the ache just radiates like a pulsating up and down my legs. Is very unbearable.

2. hdparadis

hdparadis New Member

that same throbbing, aching in my legs. I tested low on vitamin D & B12 and the dr thought that might be the problem. Unfortunatly those are back in the normal range and it hasn't helped me but it might work for you. Have you had your levels checked lately?

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Right now my legs are absolutely throbbing. My FM pain is always worse in my legs and the first place my pain shows up and the last to leave. Fortunately, right now it means my overall body pain is decreasing.

I also have RLS which is somewhat like FM pain. Whether this is related I have no idea. I suspect they may be connected, but I am not a neurologist.

I do know that there has been at least one study that shows Mirapex, which is used to help RLS, helps with FM pain but the dosage is higher than that for RLS. At higher doses it can cause stomach issues.

Mirapex was originally intended for Parkinson Disease which is a neurological movement disorder. Again for Parkinson's it is taken at much higher doses.

I was low on B12, had the shots and my level is now fine but it did not help my leg symptoms. My vitamin D level is fine.

RLS can be made worse by being anemic, however I have no idea if it would impact your achy legs but might be something to check out, though.

4. kennysmauhmee

kennysmauhmee New Member

For several days the pain in my legs was terrible. One night I was frantic because the pain was SO bad. It seemed to stem from the middle of my butt cheek/hip/lower back area.. Sorry for the visual. I couldn't lay down or sit down and standing hurt so bad.. even if I shifted my weight to the other leg. I tried to have my husband stretch my legs out and bend them up and down but it didn't help. Let me know if you find relief!!

Good luck.
  5. greatgran

greatgran Member

Oh, I have posted on this several times. All I can say is I DO and have yet to find anything that helps. Have no answers but sure have the achy legs..I do hope you get some answers, my doctor thought the vitamin D supplement would help and maybe it has a little but not enough to write about.

God Bless,
  6. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I have severe aching legs every single day. It's horrible - unbearable at times. It's always there.
    I've often described it as someone is torturing me by beating my bones with a big metal pipe over and over, while making me run in place, lifting my legs higher and higher - they're so exhausted. When I take my medication, the relief feels like I've been able to stop 'running' for a moment, but I have the residual tiredness and know that I'm going to have to start 'running again soon and the beating will start at any moment"
    The pain often wakes me up at night.

As a child I always had growing pains. At 21, couldn't walk up the stairs (had to crawl) my legs hurt so bad. Had all the tests done - all normal. Throughout the years if I ever stayed up late, the next day my legs would hurt terribly, whenever I'm tired, my legs are the first place to hurt.

If I wake from too short of a nap, my legs are killing me.

All of my "levels" are normal, btw - vit D. etc.
    I can empathize with you.
  7. DixieDe

DixieDe Member

I have horrible leg pain. It feels like I have marbles in all of my calf muscles. Vit. D levels are fine. I wish someone could tell me what this is. If I have a massage, I can hardly stand for my legs to be touched.
  8. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I deal with all kinds of pain in my legs too. I've found light to medium massage to be helpful. I also use Biofreeze or Stoppain spray. They help with a lot of the pain, not all of it.

When the pain is localized in one place for long time, hours to days, I use Lidocaine patches which I keep in place with medical tape.

Lidocaine patches are Rx only. You can use up to 3 at a time. I sometimes use 2 on one leg. They usually take about a half an hour to work like on my ankles but they can sometimes take hours to work when the pain source is very deep especially in your thighs but they do eventually work for me and then subsequent patches continue to work more quickly as the medicine has already built up in that area of my body.

I've also found that the patches work faster and better if I lightly rub them, like from the center out.

Hot tubs work for some of the pain as well.

[This Message was Edited on 06/29/2009]
  9. hensue

hensue New Member

Still have the aching legs, it is according. If it is a very bad flare and can hardly take it.

I have noticed since I went thru menopause they hurt less.
    They still hurt but not as often I would say.

Just put them up and try to take something to help the pain.

What that is I do not really know?

Take Care
  10. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

That gives me so much hope. I've had horrible leg pain ever since I went into perimenopause 10 years ago. I'm in the thick of it now at 45. I've been hoping that my symptoms will ease up after menopause. I'm so glad to hear that happened for you. Did your other symptoms ease up as well?

11. MsE

MsE New Member

Although my calcium level seemed to be okay, my legs ache badly--especially at night. So I started taking two calcium tablets right before bed and that has helped a lot. Two in the morning and two at night. According to the label, that isn't too much, so I'll continue using extra calcium (as well as magnesium and potassium) since it seems to help. Extra vitamin D didn't help a bit, and I was getting plenty of that anyway.