Aching Legs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Jan 11, 2011.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

Hi all-

I have had fibro for about 12 yrs now. Recently I have had a new symptom from fibro come along. My legs ache so bad. I have soaked in epsom salts, taken meds, got massages only to have the aching to come back. It drives me insane, Anyone have this, or know what might help STOP the severe aching in my legs??

Thanks for any advice- Kriket
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Oh yes, my legs ache to the bone. I take otc pain meds also have found magnesium helpful.

Then I found out I have lyme. Still can't get up the nerve to start treatment.

I hope you have had the lyme test, western blot and I went for 11 yrs thinking I had CFIDS/FM the symptoms are the same or at least for me. But now I have a dx I am stuck as to what to do with it.

My legs ached worse at night..

Hope you get some better answers.
  3. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

My legs ache every single day. I sleep on my side with pillows between my knees. I sit on a heating pad, sometimes trying to wrap them around my knees (that's hard!).

I have to take pain meds. Leg pain is difficult to deal with. When they ache, they are weak and it's hard to walk etc. Mine starts in my hips and goes down. My heart goes out to you.
  4. karkel

karkel New Member

THis is where the major pain is for me..MY LEGS ! They ache and they feel bruised as if I have been kicked.I also have a hard time getting up if I sit on a low stool or the toilet (I'm only 51) and maybe 15 pounds over weight NOT like 300 lbs or anything. If I take much ?
  5. IanH

IanH Active Member

I have had FMS and CFS for over 16 years. I used to read that others had problems with their legs but I did not until about 5 years ago. My calves swelled, my knees locked up and my ankles became more painful than before. The pain woke me dring the night and could not bare any weight - even the sheets on my legs. After sitting for about 5 minutes my calves became as solid as a rock. I saw a rheumatologist (one of the many) and he suggested potassium injections. These helped but only temporarily. I had already been taking magnesium for several years (400 mg per day = magnesium malate 2 grams and magnesium citrate 2 grams). So the leg problem came on despite taking magnesium. I then saw a physiotherapist friend who I knew had been researching FMS (at my suggestion) and talked it over with him. His theory was that I really had a back problem and if we improved my back my leg problem would reduce. After about six months of physio and excercising my back carefully my calves have begun to reduce in size and my ankle pain is lowered. My knees are also more flexible . He measured my calves along the way to ensure it was all working.
    after 6 months my calf girth reduced by one and a half inches. I can now sit for upto half an hour (pretty good for someone with FMS) before I feel the tightness beginning in my calves.

I have still a way to go but I do believe he was right.
  6. JLH

JLH New Member

My legs hurt terribly, but they hurt due to two other health problems.

One being my back. Have you had any CAT scans or MRIs of your back? I have a lot of major issues going on in my back with all the disks, spinal stenosis, and my sciatic nerve is pinched. This nerve in my low back goes down my hip and to my leg(s) and causes pain and numbness.

Two is diabetes. I have diabetic neuropathy and my feet hurt like crazy and the pain goes up my legs too.

Then, third, when the Gout that I have in my big toes and ankles is flared up, the pain is terrible!!

So, I have so much more than fibro going on that makes my legs and feet hurt, that if any of the pain is caused by fibro, then I don't know it!! LOL