Aching lower back--anyone else?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, Sep 26, 2005.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I did something to my back--don't know how!
    Went to the orthopedic and after an x-ray, he said I have a little arthritis, osteoporosis but thinks I may have strained my back in the SI joint (sacroiliac)sp.
    Said to put ice and heat and go to therapy for 3 weeks.

Does anyone else have this? Lower back aches, sometime runs down the thigh but the aches moves around a bit. Even have uppper back aches like my usual FM.

Anyone that has gone to therapy--does it help? Sometimes I think excercise would make it worse.

Love to hear from you--any advice will help.

T
  2. dipsydo

dipsydo New Member

lower back pain is awful - exercise makes it worse -have had the usual rounds of x-rays - osteroarthrisis - diagnosis - am currently on 2 mild painkillers - and Xanax -therapy did not help -a heating pad - on high-and being completely still helps some-my doctors (and their have been MANY - keep me on what I call - "a merry go round of diagnosis - very, very frustrating - I have even tried a very low key type of exercise - but excercise caution - on any type of exercise- the therapy was not covered by my insurance - and was a frustrating experience - since I had to pay for it-with no help-so that just added to anxiety over money problems

don't sound very encouraging - I'm afraid
  3. smiffy79

smiffy79 New Member

everything aggrevates it i do like my hot bubble baths but its the only thing thats made worse by hot tubs.

4. Bailey-smom

Bailey-smom New Member

I have had lower back pain in that area for the last 7 years. What helps me is the heating pad, stretching, icy/hot patches (hee hee) and walking. It takes a while for walking to help & it hurts right away again when I stop which stinks.

I think you just need to try some different things - the stretching & ultracet works the best for me.

good luck

Kelly
  5. ckk

ckk New Member

yes, i have osteo in my back upper and lower and it seems like for whatever reason the lower hurts worse! the pain shoots right down my butt and into my legs its not fun. then of course i sometimes get it up top too at the same time which is always fun (yeah right) i also put heat on it or take a very hot bath. that usually helps. hope you feel better . take care.
    ckk
  6. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

i have had lower back problems for years but it is now awful! I had nerve conduction tests on both legs, then a MRI of lower back and a dx of Spinal Stenosis. I have scoliosis and the vertebra are crocked and pulling on the spinal cord. The last 4 also have pinched nerves.

Neurosurgeon said too bad for surgery but i wouldn't have it anyway at my age. He made an appt. for me with a Pain Clinic but my PCP wanted 1st to give me my options next week!! Now what willi that be??

I take nothing for pain that helps. The pain goes down my leg and into foot, worse on right side where the majority of pain is.

Sorry I can't help. Wish I could~~~

Gentle Hugs and let us know if you find out an answer
  7. andymac

andymac New Member

oh yes i have to say my lower back has been very painfull since the very start and it is one of my worst area's now,i have had lots of physio on this area and it does nothing in fact i can say it just makes it worse,as yet i hav'nt found anything that eases it

andy
  8. steach

steach Member

I use Lidoderm Patches for my shoulder area, middle back, and lower back. You can use up to 3 a day and they can be cut to fit the location. They are non-narcotic. Lidoderm is is the "novicaine" family- like what the dentist gives you before any work to numb your mouth.

I also get trigger-point injections which can contain Lidocaine, Zylocaine, Benzocaine, etc. TPI injections can also contain something similar to prednisone (a corticosteroid) which will help to reduce inflamation but can cause side-effects.

I use Icy/Hot alot. I have to continually reapply it but it does help.

Also, chiropractor therapy helps, too. You can get a "TENS" Unit- transdermal electrical.... something. You can get a portable battery operated unit which hooks onto a belt and use it throughout the day; is is about the size of a portable CD player. The electrical stimulation somehow helps to stop pain messeges to the brain. It has wires and sticky patches- kinda reminds me of an EKG machine.

Hope this info helps some.

Steach
  9. Aberlaine

Aberlaine Member

I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease about 1 1/2 years ago. The pain is just awful most of the time. The only way I can get my pants on in the morning is to sit down. Bending is a no, no.

I have a cherry pit pillow that I heat up in the microwave. That works for a while. Also, just after taking a warm shower, I'll do back stretches while the water is still running.

And, yes, walking helps with the pain, but it's awfully hard to do. I don't even think about it until I've taken my morning pain pill - diclofenac. Ultracet works great, but I have awful constipation for several days afterward.
  10. Countrymom

Countrymom New Member

Mine started 3 years ago, I fell down the stairs and actually dislocated the SI joint. I went to a chiro and he did a quick and gentle adjustment and WHEW...instant relief.
    I still have a lot of pain and stiffness in that area but not anything like before.

I hope you feel better, you can try alternating heat and ice.

Dani
  11. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

I called my PT to set up an appointment for PT my dr ordered. Since I'm now in a FM flare, he doesn't want to start back stretching and exercises. I'm stumped--like when am I not in a flare? Isn't FM a daily thing?

Tania
  12. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have lower back pain almost constantly. But I do have degenrative discs in that area.

That pain feels different than my fibro pain. My back pain is right at my tail bone and up some. The pain is intense in the center

Sometimes it radiates down my hip and used to go down my leg. Not so much down my leg now.

Yes I had therapy and it helped me a lot. They used massage, ultrasound, tens and stretching and strengthening exercises.

I usually use heat, but sometimes I use an ice pack. if one doesn't make it feel better I switch to the other.

13. hidlyn

hidlyn New Member

Yes!! It's one of the areas I will not compromise when it comes to doing things. Mine is a combination of sciatic nerve problems (which yours might be too if it's running down your leg like that - and if it is DON'T use heat at all - I learned the hard way - it swells the muscles around the pinched nerve and causes more pain in the end) and the FM tender points right smack dab in the middle of each butt cheek are WAY too tender for ANYONE to touch. My chiropractor almost sent me through the roof. I told him if he kept that up I wasn't coming back. He stopped. :) I learned not to bend over and I learned the difference between FM pain and the sciatic pain, which was always accompianied by sharp pain traveling down my leg. If someone knows a really good chiropractor you might try that. I HATE chiropractors, I won't let them touch my neck or anywhere else, but the adjustments they do for sciatic nerve pain are pretty painless and they really work.

Good luck finding help.

Heidi
    [This Message was Edited on 09/28/2005]