aching, pressure in vagina?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dlebbole, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Has anyone experienced this? Since I have been forced in to menopause by chemotherapy, I have an aching sensation of pressure when I stand for any length of time. It eases when I lie down. Is this because of weak pelvic floor muscles? The aching is pretty severe and makes me very anxious....Diane
  2. averilpam

averilpam New Member

It could well be what you say. It sounds like the pains I used to get with periods, felt like my uterus was trying to fall out through my vagina!

I think you should get it checked out. If it's just muscular, pelvic floor exercises may help, but if it's anything more serious the sooner you get it checked the better.

Hope it's not anything serious,
    pam xx
  3. tandy

tandy New Member

And went to the Drs.(gyn) I have Endometriosis so it was attributed to that disease. I still get this feeling every once in a while.....it is very irritating is'nt it?!
    Could be weak pelvic floor....or Rectocele,a condition in which part of the rectum protrudes into the vagina.Symptoms are mild pressure,constipation and sometimes painful bowel movements. hope this helps...and hope you get some answers soon~ Take care :)
  4. pearls

pearls New Member

Every person ought to have a copy of Devin Starlanyl's book, "Fibromyalgia and Chronic Myolfascial Pain." Among a host of problems this disease can present, vaginal pain is discussed, as well. Fluid passages that are not open and functional can be due to hormonal or circulatory changes. This can cause pelvic pain.

Also, "At least some of the circulatory congestion may be due to myofascial entrapment of nerves. This can be treated with myofascial release, myotherapy, and craniosacral release therapies." She is talking here about dealing with trigger points (not the tender points by which fibromyalgia is diagnosed, but trigger points, which when pressed, can cause pain in other places).

On pages 97 through 99 of the latest edition of her book, there is a detailed discussion of trigger points in the pelvic area. If you haven't studied trigger points, this is not an easy area in which to start. However, if your trouble is caused by these trigger points (which is at least a contributing facor in most of the pain people suffer), you would do well to have a copy of Dr. Starlanyl's book and Clair Davies, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook." Both of these practioners refer often to the work described below, by Drs. Simons and Travell. In fact, the Davies book is especially good for making their work understandable for patients.

In addition, you would do well to find someone who really understands the work of Dr. David Simons and Dr. Janet Travell, as presented in "Myofascial Pain and Dysfunction: The Trigger Point Manual," Volumes 1 and 2. This can be a daunting, but extremely rewarding, task. I have found therapists who say they know Travell and Simons' work, but who don't seem to know it at all. Dr. Starlanyl says if you find someone who has well-worn copies of their books, and even refer to them during treatment, you've probably found someone who knows their work and can help you. Another test, of course, is actually feeling better.

Hugs,
    Pearl
  5. Dlebbole

Dlebbole New Member

Everything was very useful. I am actually looking into the idea of trigger points....I just ordered a book called Headache in the Pelvis, which deals with the topic. Thanks again. diane