Aching teeth for no reason

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by helendri, Feb 10, 2010.

1. helendri

helendri New Member

Does anyone else suffer from aching, painful teeth for no apparent reason. It can happen on either side, top or bottom and just seems to come out of the blue.

Would be really grateful if anyone else knows what this could be.

Thank you xx
  2. greatgran

greatgran Member

Yes, I have and do . Not sure if it is the same as yours but I could actually feel my pulse beating in my teeth/gums turns out it was a sinus infection. Had to go to three doctors to get an answer. The dentist said because my teeth were sensitive. Well, I am still working on getting the infection completely gone the ENT said I still have a little infection but my teeth aren't aching like they were.

God Bless,
    gg
  3. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

all the facial and dental nerves go to the neck vertebrae, if your neck hurts from simple neck exercises then it wouldn't hurt to visit a chiropractor or try resting on a Japanese neck roll. If you have a Gray's Anatomy, you can look up the Trigemic nerve that comes from the neck to the teeth on each side.

For sinus infections and hence pressure above the eyeballs and upper teeth, try a netti pot or better yet, the NeilMed Nasal Wash. It uses baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) and salt (sodium chloride). Baking soda breaks up mucus and washes away allergens and bacteria real fast. Any drug store, Target, Wallmart carries these.

The salt will burn if I have an active sinus infection otherwise, it just feels refreshing. I warm up the solution in the microwave for 15 seconds.

4. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Member

Yes, and it usually happens when I either have a virus or a sinus infection. Once the virus or sinus problem clears up, so does the pain with my teeth.
  5. butterflydream

butterflydream New Member

from medications also could be a possibility.
    I now use the Biotene toothpaste and Alcohol Free mouth wash.

Just a thought for you if you do have dry mouth, this can aggitate teeth and gums.
  6. jesfms

jesfms New Member

oh yes very sensitive teeth..it is due to clenching and grinding esp. at night...i am using a sensidyne toothpaste and a mouthgard i picked up at walmart...it helps a little bit...have had dentist make gards for me in the past but they are expensive and some do not help
  7. nah.stacey

nah.stacey Member

Helendri,
    I didn't believe it could be a sinus infection either, but infection or not, it is sinus related.
    After I had a crown put on in Dec. I was sure the crown had abscessed, my face hurt from my top teeth clear into my temple. It felt exactly like a tooth ache. I went to my dentist ASAP because I would rather have a C-section (had five) than have my teeth drilled.(yep, that bad).
    He said "No, not even a hint of an infection in teeth, top or bottom". He said it was absolutely medical, not dental.
    Went to my Dr. he couldn't find any hint of infection through my ears or throat, even though my throat gets rough for no reason, I think it's nasal drainage into my throat. He was going to put me on an anti-biotic to get rid of it "just in case". I balked a bit at that because every time I take AB's I get a yeast infection, they kill all my good bacteria too. So anyway he said lets just put you on an anti-histamine to reduce the swelling in your sinus'. Well you could have knocked my over with a feather, it worked. I have had a REAL sinus infection before and allergies and neither felt like the teeth ache pain. Go figure.

I have read on this site repeatedly about sinus infection/swelling due to CFS or FM. It's a very strange phenomenon, but if you think about it. What most of us have is something viral anyway, so why couldn't this be some type of viral sinus inflammation thing. Everything else on us feels that way, why not sinus'.

Nah.stacey
  8. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

The first time was most certainly due to a sinus infection in my face, got into my upper teeth and lasted an awful 8 weeks.

The second and third time it was a single tooth, lower . I am sooooo scared of dentists, I could have a Cadillac for what has been done to my mouth. The dentist probed, xrayed and felt it was probably due to "clenching". He sent me to an endodontist who gave me the same answer, clenching. That tooth already had a root canal plus a crown.

The endodontist told me that a normal person might have the ache go away in 1-4 days, but said he would see me again in two weeks, as people with fibro as usual react differently.

Third time was ditto of the first.

I recently knew my bite has changed, asked dentist to grind off just a bit which he did. What I did not tell him was that my lower teeth had moved and where the bottom incisors had been perfectly straight, one is being pushed behind. I have put it on my list of "things to ignore".

I see the dentist every six months in spite of no dental insurance and being 65. I have my husband drive me and take valium before I leave. AND, the end result after each visit is a flare, I simply get uncontrollable nervousness.

You may want to google teeth clenching or teeth grinding.

You have my total sympathy!
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I've had this same problem. It was on one side, top and bottom, then the other side, and/or both sides at the same time. It drove me crazy. I went as far as having root canals in my jaw teeth to eliminate the pain--after going to many visits with the dentists and doctors.

Then an oral surgeon told me to check into Sjogren's Syndrome since he knew that I had systemic lupus. And .... that's what it was!

Sjogren's Syndrome causes dry mouth and a lot of other problems. The problem was that my parotid glands were so swollen that they were putting pressure on my teeth and making them hurt. Your parotid glands are right under your jaw line at the ears. Some days mine will be swollen like I have a huge rock in them, and then some days they are flat as pancakes! As soon as I knew the problem, then I quit worrying about them. and ... the teeth don't hurt anymore, because all of the nerves to them have been removed!
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

another type of sinus infection: Lyme. As I work on protocols for it, my nearly 24/7 sinus headaches have receded immensely. And it makes my teeth ache... make sure of course you don't have an acute sinus infection or other problems first of course.

Also, I have found ibuprofen to be especially wonderful in relieving dental pain of any kind (200 mg knocked out the pain totally when I was having mercury amalgams removed, 3 teeth at a time, when oxycodone didn't even touch the horrible pain!)

Hope you find some relief. Sinus problems are one of the commonest things with CF/FM/ME and other autoimmune diseases. And malocclusions of teeth are fairly ordinary it seems (I've gone thru TMJ therapy as well), as well as grinding one's teeth.

all the best,
    Victoria
  11. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

When I am extra fatigued I get this too - it subsides after I have recovered from a crash.

I think it is due to the immune system being extra run down - I get ulcers and/or blisters in my mouth when this happens sometimes too. Also even warm food or drink will make the top of my mouth blister up and peel.

I have a friend (also with ME/CFS) who says her gums are raw and painful when she is flaring too.

Do you also find it flares up when you are feeling worse?

Apart from resting extra I haven't found anything that helps :(

Love Bunchy x
  12. shari1677

shari1677 New Member

I would say about 1.5-2 years ago I started getting this incredible ache in my right lower jaw. I thought I had a horrible cavity.

After a visit to the dentist, and several x-rays, it was determined to be related to my fibromyalgia.

I now have the pain in both jaws, all the time. My doc says it has something to do with muscle spasms in the tender points in my upper chest that cause the pain to go up into my neck and jaw.
  13. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

this one. My upper teeth roots are resting just about on my nerve endings. I can't afford dentures, but that's about the only thing that will relieve it..Really worsens when we turn the heat on in the fall & off in the spring...Go figure....If I get a sinus infection, then the pain is really bad..Everything swells, then pressure is put on the nerve endings of the teeth..

Another thing to deal with...I hope you can find something that will help.
    Blessings;
    fifth
  14. kat@prohealth

kat@prohealth New Member

I have had aching teeth every spring and fall for the last 30 years. These times of the year is when my allergies get worse. The dentists have always told me that allergies are the reason and there is nothing wrong with my teeth. The sinus' run just about the nerves of the teeth and I know this can be painful. Hope this helps, sorry I don't have a solution, I guess try an antihistamine if you have allergies and see if it helps. K
  15. umm_denise

umm_denise New Member

I have experienced aching teeth, and it seemed to get worse and worse, turning into TMJ. I researched and found that it is common with fibro...dealing with the jaw muscles, ya know? I have a cousin with fibro, who is one year older than me, and her onset was about a year before mine. When I was going through the horrible teeth and jaw pain, she realized that she had gone through the same ordeal the previous summer. It is as if our symptom onsets are progressive, and similar. The good news is that the severe pain eventually subsided. I still have minor flares occasionally, but nothing as severe as before. I have made some changes, though. I use sensitive toothpaste and mouth rinse. I no longer chew gum, and try to avoid chewy foods or meats. Like whenever I eat a steak, I get a flare up because I have overworked the tmj joint/muscles. I also have had a lot of tooth deterioration, getting brittle, breaking. I had a broken tooth removed, so that could have been part of the problem. I hope this is just a temporary symptom phase for you. Whatever the case, I hope you find some relief soon...it was by far the worst pain I have had to deal with, and I am dealing with a lot of pain! So nice to find this message board...it helps to find support from people who understand and go through the same crapola!
  16. john1836

john1836 Member

I agree. Sinus infection. I get this when I am flying in a jet as well. PAIN. Feels like a tooth ache but just pressure from the sinus cavity.