Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Dear Friends, I hope y'all manage to avoid the nasty colds going around. I have been plagued with sinusitis for several months but now, I have a full-blown cold. AACK!!!

Today is day eight and I'm sloooooowly getting better. My doc prescribed an ABX because this cold was going into another sinus infection. I had to go out for an Rx yesterday and I heard a lot of coughing. I haven't gone out unless I have to and when I'm done with the credit card machine, I clean it with a germacide. I also warn the clerks to clean their hands when I'm done.

It was cold down here, for us, yesterday. There was a frigid blustery wind too. One would never guess this is SW FL. Of course, my car was on fumes, so I had to stand outside in the wind and fuel it up. I usually don't wait to get gas but I've felt so cruddy for so long that I didn't want to stop at the gas station.

I have the fabric and parts to make some Roman shades for my windows but haven't felt well enough to sew them and put them together. It's a blessing to me that I don't have to go to work now and can stay home and take care of myself.

As we move into the Holiday Season, I wish for good health for everyone now and into the New Year.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Thanks for your thoughts.

Diane, I also hope you get better soon. Sinus infections are miserable. I've had a string of them and think it's time to see an ENT for a scan of my sinuses. I will ask the doc on the 23rd about it. I hate to whine about our weather when I know how miserably cold it's been up your way. We get used to the warmth over the years and it doesn't take much to chill us out. Most of the reports have come from Plant City. It is kind of the inland epicenter for our agriculture down here. We may suffer some losses of crops if this keeps up.

There are several ways to make the shades depending on whether one is lining them. The fabric for two of the windows is stiffer and they don't need to be lined. The other three have softer fabric and will look better lined. It causes the fabric to drape more nicely when the shades are raised. I'll let you know how it goes. This will be my first time making them but Martha Stewart did it on one of her shows years ago and it is really simple--famous last words :)

Jam, I also wish I could do GE as I've heard so many wonderful things about it. I actually seldom get colds but they have been bothering me more lately, along with the neverending sinusitis. I finally turned on some heat yesterday and today. I love the CA climate. It is hotter and more humid here in Southern FL in the summertime (except for the Santa Ana winds in the fall in CA). We have month after month of the heat, so we have to insulate our homes to keep the cool air in or our electric bills would bankrupt us. With our insulated attics, walls and windows, it costs less than $20 a month to air condition my 1,200' condo. The Roman shades will help insulate my windows even more.

Again, sending best wishes to you both.

Love, Mikie
  3. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I know just what you mean. DH and I both were sick for the Thanksgiving holidays. There seems to be ALOT of this stuff going around, Some people also have conjunctivities with it which is weird for adults (rednes of the conjunctiva of the eye) the eye get silled with mucous goup - really nasty and you wake up eith your eye shut. My DH had it and I didnpt. it is quite contagious. Both of us starated with a sort throat. Ihad low grade fever and cough and DH had no fever so go figure.

Our weather has been colder than usual too . You would think the cold weather would kill all the nasty bugs.

Yes, Mike stay home and take care of yourself. It is great when you do not have to work and you are sick. So many people who do work come in sick anyway and spread the germs cause they need to keep their jobs and are afraid to stay home.

Diane - glad you got on some amoxicilian. I got some finally (antibitics) and the fever finally went away after almost a week - but very lowgrade . Still felt like crap !!-YUCK !! You get well quickly too.

4. jole

jole Member

My DD/grands have this too. She said it's the worst cold they've every had! So miserable...can't sleep at all, the kids running fevers, no voice, horrible cough, etc. Sounded to me more like the flu, but they had their flu shots (which I'm not in favor of, just my opinion). They're going on the 2nd week of it, and still no better. Called their doc and he said it'll wear itself out, just a virus. So.....

I have read..and heard it works....about rubbing Vicks on the bottom of the feet and puting on heavy socks at night. It's said to quiet the cough and stop the restlessness caused by colds. If I get it I'll try it, but sure hate to recommend it to others

Wishing you all the best, and all my friends here, for the Holiday Season........Jole
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Granni, I hope y'all are better. Pink eye--AACK!!! I had it once and was miserable. Yes, these things seem to start with sore throats, low-grade fevers and coughs. My cough didn't come until after the usual cold symptoms. It's one of those kinds of coughs which comes in spasms. I hope both of you are OK. It's so miserable to be sick this time of year.

Jam, I use the term, herbals, to describe plant-extracts. I should say, botanicals, instead. Almost all plants make salicylates as a kind of protection against bacteria which infect them. It is the salicylates which block the Guai. I am not as sensitive to them as some on the protocol. Just walking across grass barefoot blocked the Guai for one patient. Salicylates block the Guai for 24 hours so sometimes, I will balance the benefits of something against being blocked for one day. I will often use a verbotten substances just once but cannot use them regularly. Once in a while, I'll use something regularly without realizing it contains sals. OUCH! It doesn't take long for the pain and tender points to return. Again, I wish I could use the GE but just can't. I'm glad it works so well for you.

Jole, I hope the kids are OK. Two weeks is a long time to be sick but I do know it can take that long to get rid of a cold. Still, they should be feeling better. If it's just a virus, good for the doc for not giving ABX but these things can go into a bacterial infections. I would think he or she would want to take a look, especially if they are not getting better. I got some Vicks for my humidifier to ease my breathing at night. It contains both menthol and camphor so I can't rub it on my skin. I'm not sure if it blocks the Guai from breathing it. So far, so good. This Vicks has something in it to supress coughing. I've never heard of rubbing it on the bottom of the feet but I'll bet it works. I was putting petroleum jelly on my dry heels until I read where it can be absorbed and clog up the lymph nodes. Light bulb--duh! That is the problem I'm suffering from. It may turn out to be Sjorgens but I'm sure the stuff wasn't helping. I've been complaining about severely dry skin for months to my doc but we just didn't connect the dots until I got the results of my dry eye test. Oy! With us, it's always something.

I feel better already. You guys are great! It's so nice to be able to come here to complain :) Again, I wish for good health for everyone. We have enough on our plates without colds and other seasonal illnesses.

Love, Mikie