Acid Reflux and Fibro

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lillieblake, Jul 29, 2008.

1. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

I have gall stones, not bad.

Is that the cause of acid reflux?

I also have High Blood Pressure.

When I have the reflux, not sure if I am having a heart attack.

Just started getting the acid reflux.

Is that part of fibromyalgia?

Thanks, Lillie
  2. Txslady

Txslady New Member

When my gallbladder went bad I developed acid reflux really bad, never had indigestion in my life before that. Doctor told me I was having indigestion. Lack of gallbladder has also caused bile reflux, was worse than acid reflux. When mine gets real bad and I am not sure if it is heart or acid I use liguid mylanta, it works great, if no result in 30 minutes I go to hospital, where they give me reglan. However mylanta can/will cause diahrea. I also monitor my blood pressure every 10 minutes while waiting for it to work. I usually see a drop pretty quickly after taking the mylanta. It has never turned out to be my heart yet, thank God. I have had a complete work up by a cardiologist and he has given me the all clear twice.

FYI: If you are having gallbladder problems the you will probably develop gastritis which can make you think it is your heart.

3. mujuer

mujuer New Member

This is a funny coincidence. I am sitting here with my Ipod nano on listening to the jazz song "Lilys Back" and then I found your post.

There are so many things that can cause reflux, it's hard to say. If any of your med's are anti-inflammatory then they could be causing it. I have it on and off. What really helps is to elevate the head of your bed. We have slept this way for years. My husband has a hiatal hernia and it helps him also. We have the front of our bed up on cement blocks at least eight inches higher then the foot. It keeps your food in your stomach and makes it harder to spill back up into your esophogus (sp?). I have a bottle of Nexxium for back up relief.

I have arthritis and am trying to find the right med to take right now because they all seem to irritate the reflux. I had it way before I had fibro though. Hope this helps. P
  4. FadedChina

FadedChina New Member

Reflux is a side affect of so many things, including ulcers! I spent so many years undiagnosed that I lived on aspirin in tremendous quantities daily. by the time I sought help for the ever increasing reflux, the endoscopy revealed I had 17 separate ulcers and 3 spots showing beginning erosion. I can obviously never take aspirin again, but I now take large, prescribed amounts of darvocet, lyriba and muscle relaxants which keep my stomach raw and numerous ulcers are always present now despite the nexium and tums I live on!

11 years ago it was shown that my gallbladder was barely functioning, but the variety of doctors involved ALL agreed that with a few other problems I have, it was more sensible to leave it in...and the acid run wild!!!

Avoid caffeine, dairy, and (ugh) chocolate as they seem to aggravate the least in me! besides elevating the head of the bed, you might also want to try shoving a good pillow under whatever side you sleep on so your tummy is additionally supported...much like you'd do with the pillow if you were pregnant.

Hope this helps some!!