Acid Reflux/GERD???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowchowchow, Dec 8, 2005.

1. meowchowchow

meowchowchow New Member

I have acid reflux/gerd and it's horrible. I've made an appt with a GI dr. but don't see him until Jan 18th...I started some OTC prilosec today. Anyone have any suggestions?

Does anyone else suffer with this? Also, do you get nauseated? I'm so nauseated.

THanks,
    Meow
    [This Message was Edited on 12/08/2005]
  2. Christinawensell

Christinawensell New Member

YES, I unfortunatly have this also. I do nto have the name of the medication with me that I take currently, but my doctor also told me to stay away from things that are high in acid. Tomatoes,mint,oranges, etc. I also need to eat several hours before going to bed and sit up for that time. Do not lay down after eating. Then I take the medication. I also laay on several pillows under my head (2-3 depending on the fluff) so my head is up high. If you can not lay on that many pillows I would suggest to put the pillows at the head of the bed under the mattress, so it has the same affect.

Hope this helps,

Blessings,
    Hope you feel better soon,
    Christina
  3. lenaw70

lenaw70 New Member

I wrote a response to this post, and it was a really long one too, but it dissapeared!

I wanted to tell you about Hyatal hernias (spelling?).

Could be that, have to get an upper GI scope done to see. In the mean time, you could try doing the heel drops my doctor told me about.

You drink a LARGE glass of water first thing in the morning and then stand on tippytoes and drop down hard onto your heels. She says it will push hernia back down. Even if you dont have a hernia, it couldnt hurt to try.

Lena
  4. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

One thing that works well for me is DGL.They say to take one about 20 min before meals but my Naturopath says you can have them up to 5 times a day.
    The other advice is good.

Kathy.
  5. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I have GERD and a hiatal hernia and it makes me miserable too. Lately I have had such bad chest pains from it. I take Prevacid for it and sometimes mylox. My hernia is pretty big so I might have to have it fixed. I`m going to try that water/heel thing someone suggested. Its worth a try.
  6. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

Try peppermint oil.Just a couple drops on your tongue and your reflux will leave. I get mine at the Herb Shop about$8:00 for a bottle.
    Shirley
  7. Sue50

Sue50 New Member

works best for me
  8. Casamadre5

Casamadre5 Member

The water/tiptoes/down on heels in the a.m. does work; plus I use ginger for nausea..take digestive enzymes with every meal. Simple things can make a big difference.
  9. yorkiegrl

yorkiegrl New Member

I have GERD, and a Hiatal Hernia as well. I was really sick a year ago with it. I went for several months before going to the dr. I don't advise that. Lol...I was vomiting in the middle of eating, it was so bad. Then I would be ok for awhile & go right back to eating. It was really wierd. Anyway, I take Prevacid for it. Works very well!

Susan
  10. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I also have GERD along with a hiatal hernia. I take Prevacol for it. Until you see your Dr, you could take Zantac 150. It's available over the counter. I took that until I needed something stronger.

It's important to treat this disease. It can play havoc with the throat and I once had it go into my ear canal as well as my lungs when I was sleeping. Let me tell you, that hurt.

There are many medications that control this.

Regards

Eileen

11. namow

namow New Member

I also suffer from GERD and hiatal hernia and my doctor told me to put some bricks (I used old books) to raise the head of the bed, that is very useful.
  12. gvmeabrk

gvmeabrk New Member

I used to have a problem with this constanly!!!! I had heard of a bacteria that could bring about some problems with acid reflux.I asked my doctor to be tested for the bacteria which is called "H POLORI"or hilicobacter polori.Sure enough I tested positive and was given the prev pak and it worked wonders for me.There are times especially when I am in a flare that the acid reflux starts back.I have decided that the culprit is to many breads,potatoes,soda pop,and all the other bad carbs out there.I feel like the pilsbury dough boy when I get this way...I just blow up and that makes me feel so horrible.I just feel like my food is not being digested and is staying up in my stomach not really moving the way it should.In fact I am going through this right now and what I am finding that is working very well is I clean house lol.I take a dose of milk of magnesia to get rid of the bloated feeling first.Not pleasant but works wonders!then I have been restricting carbohydrates to no more than 50 per day most of the time less than that.If I have bread on one day I skip it the next all togather.I have never been diagnosed with leaky gut syndrome but I know that when I am going through this phase I feel so badly I feel like I am full of toxins.If I think I eat something that makes me feel bad I will take a benadryl or 2.This has helped me at bedtime especially.I don't wake up feeling so sore and full of fluid.I do know it is not especially good to take antacids for long periods of time because for one it exposes you to food borne illneses because the acidity is reduced and for the other we need a certain amount of acid to break down food and to metabolize vitamins and nutrients.Hope you find this helpful good luck!