Acid Reflux sufferers please read

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ZosoLight, Oct 19, 2006.

1. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I took prescription anti-reflux meds for ten years to control my acid reflux. I could bearly make it from one daily pill to the next.
    I heard about taking organic apple cider vinegar to help reflux. It sounds counter-intuitive to take acid when acid is the problem, so I waited a few years before I actually tried it. LO AND BEHOLD-IT WORKS! Not only that- I have been completely off of my medication since day one on apple cider vinegar. I'm sure you can find posts on the web telling you how to take it, but what I did was mix 3-4 tablespoons with a glass of water. At first, I had to sip it all day long to control the acid. In about a week, I only had to take it before meals. I did that for a couple months. Now I only need to drink it occasionally. I also lost 10 pounds of weight without trying!
    It is worth a try since vinegar is totally safe. Anti-reflux medications, on the other hand, have been linked to stomach cancer and other unpleasant side effects like a bloated abdomen (mine has gone way down).
    Best wishes!
    Zosolight

2. simplyhurting2

simplyhurting2 New Member

I had forgotten about the organic cider vinegar. This reminder is just what I needed at this time. You are a lifesaver
  3. next refill, and Aciphex is one I decided I can do without. Stomach drugs have NEVER helped me. and $$$$ cost a lot, in most cases. I just don't need it. If anything I have MORE reflux, and other problems now, thx to the Aciphex, had problems on Protonix, Prevacid, and others too.
    thx again, I'm buying apple cider vinegar for other purposes soon, might try this too.....maybe. I have an awful sensitive digestive tract. Doesn't like apple anything--or any fruit etc right now..it's too torn up. but, maybe after my guts heal (on gluten free, casein free diet) might give it a try...

Laura
  4. valleyann

valleyann New Member

I would try anything to get rid of my acid reflux, it's a real pain in the butt!

I think I'm going to go get some of that apple cider viniger tomorrow! :)

Val
  5. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Zosolight,
    Thanks a lot for reminding me of this. A few weeks ago I developed what felt like a pounding heart beat at my sternum. It went away with Nexium, but the Nexium caused bloating, weight gain, and leg pain, so I stopped it. I've been using Aloe Vera juice, and now I'll add the Apple Cider Vinegar to that. I remember it cuts down phlem, and my problem seems to be phlem, and not acid, because when it refluxes, it gurgles, and there's no burning.

Thanks, again,
    Terry
  6. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi Again,
    Im glad that you all are willing to try this natural treatment, I just wanted to make sure that you use ORGANIC apple cider. This is the kind that is recommended.
    Thanks,
    Zosolight
  7. valleyann

valleyann New Member

I was searching the net on Apple Cider Vinegar and found a website that said this about Organic Apple cider Vinegar:

"One company's advertisement for organic, raw, unfiltered, unheated, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar is particularly alarming. This company's ad maintains that "there is nothing in this wonderful natural apple cider vinegar that can in any way harm your body!" Apparently, they have never heard of the danger of E. coli 0157:H7 in unpasteurized fruit juices. Normally vinegar is too acidic to support bacteria. However, should the acidity weaken (pH reaching 4.6 or higher), then pathogens will survive and grow."

You can check out the whole article about Apple Cider Vinegar at this website:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0GCU/is_n6_v14/ai_20152545/pg_1

I'm not trying to say that this wont work, I just like to keep informed on things. I am definitely going to try it out for myself to see if it works. I would just be careful with organic.

Val
  8. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi again,
    I used BRAGGS Organic Apple Cider fron the health food store. It has a really good reputation.

I read that some vinegars are too high in acid to use for this purpose.

I noticed on other web sites like "Earth Clinic" that most people take much less vinegar than I did and still get a good result. Most people take only one or two teaspoons with water before meals and have a good result. Taking it before bedtime works well too.

I guess you just need to adjust your dosage till it works best for you.

Zozolight
  9. Summit

Summit New Member

I read a small book about the "wonders" of apple cidar vinegar. And it said you want the kind with the cloudy thing in there? Cannot remember what they called it. Anyways, it is suppose to be good for you in many ways. I would say, try it. I'm glad you've had success with it. My acid reflux has been rearing it's ugly head again lately, and I think I will give it a try too! Thanks
  10. chickadee

chickadee New Member

Apple Cider vinegar makes my acid reflux much, much worse.
    I have tried it several times and for me it does what you think it will. It burns.
    Glad others find this helpful.

Peace,
    Chickadee
  11. llama

llama New Member

Hi zosolight and all,

My reflux is very unpredictable but I usually end up taking Ranitidine at least once or twice a day.

I hate to sound like a wimp, but I don't know if I could drink vinegar (I know it's apple cider) but just the smell makes me sick. I'd love to have the benefits though, especially less bloating and maybe even some weight loss!

Anyone have any suggestions how to make it more palatable?

Thanks........Jill............
  12. Dixie_Amazon

Dixie_Amazon Member

The cloudy stuff is called the 'mother'.
  13. charlenef

charlenef New Member

it doesnt help me i did go out on my own research and found (dgl )licorice root stomach enzymes guacatonga and red delicious apples help my tummy. i use to have heartburn 24/7 now only once in a while when i dont eat well, charlene
  14. ZosoLight

ZosoLight New Member

Hi Jill and others,

If the taste or smell of vinegar bothers you, vinegar comes in pill form also.

Zosolight
  15. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I am glad you are better. I used to suffer from Acid Reflux a lot, but for some reason it just went away,until recently. I have been experiencing a hint of Acid Reflux symptoms. I just bought a new bottle of natural Apple Cider Vinegar because I've read about health benefts. I didn't know about the weight loss, either.

Lolalee
  16. fairydust39

fairydust39 New Member

If you can't stand to use Apple Cider Vinegar,go to the herb shop and get "Pure Peppermint Oil". Just a couple drops on the back of the hand, and lay your tongue on ,it will stop the Refux instantly. (this keeps it sanitary for anyone to use) Also you can use it as many times a day as you want to. It doesn't stop your food from digesting.It is very strong,so you don't need but a couple drops.I use it also for bad breathe or upset stomach.It doesn't react with any meds either.
    Hugs Shirley

PS I forgot to tell you all that the Pro-biotics help a lot too.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/20/2006]
  17. llama

llama New Member

Thanks zosolight:

I appreciate the reply and the info. I'm (at least so far not into a lot of "natural" rememdies...that may change).

I'm happy for anything to be in pill form, have the most horrid time ever swallowing something really pungent or a weird consistency.

Best of luck..........Jill.............
  18. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm going to try the peppermint oil but another option that I know of that works is Aloe Vera juice.

Kathy
  19. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Add honey to the Bragg's Vinegar with Mother and it does not taste bad to me.
  20. u34rb

u34rb New Member

Chronic reflux or heartburn, (not the same thing) need to be checked out by a doctor. I know this from personal experience.

Vinegar or an anti acid is only a short-term remedy for occasional excesses. It is dangerous to ignore chronic symptoms.

The problem is that reducing the stomach acid actually makes the stomach produce more.

There are proton blockers, such as Omeprazole, (“Losec”) in the UK, which are different because they reduce the actual production of acid in the stomach, and they can be a viable long-term alternative to surgery.

The symptoms of reflux or heartburn can be caused by problems in the stomach or a hiatus hernia and not because there is too much acid produced. So taking any kind of remedy is not addressing the problem.

In addition, chronic deposits of acid in the oesophagus can lead to cancerous changes with potentially serious consequences. Vinegar may seem a cheap and natural remedy, but it might turn out to be a false economy.