Acidic Saliva?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by FM58, Jun 4, 2009.

1. FM58

FM58 New Member

Today I saw an acupuncture & Chinese herbalist doc. He checked my saliva and told me it was very acidic. (strip was yellow, should have been green) I am very careful w/ my diet as I have IC - I do not consume any acidic foods as they would irritate my bladder, cause reflux and gerd. What would cause my saliva to show such a high acidic level? He told me my entire system would be acidic and is affected by the level. My fibro pain, migraines, sleep problems.

He put me on Alka-Zyme 3x day. I also take:
    Probiotics Acidophilus
    Flax Oil
    Grapeseed Extract
    CoQ 10
    Black Cohosh
    not sure if I should be Alpha Lipoic Acid? (I just found it, I recall a doc recommending it awhile back)

I also take many other prescription meds for ME/CFS, FM, migraines, IC, reflux, gerd, Sjogrens, and lets not forget the lovely peri menopause symptoms.

The acupuncture was great, not painful at all. I felt very relaxed after the treatment. I just wish the sessions were not so darn expensive! Doc feels acupuncture along w/ bringing my acidic level down will help me overall. I'm really confused over this one, first time I was ever tested for this. Why don't other docs test for this? Is this something I can test for at home also & how often should I test? Just saliva or urine too?

Thanks for any input!
  2. frickly

frickly New Member

I have heard of this and beleive you can test for this at home with the same strips they used at the acupuncurist. My son and I have a problem with yeast and are told by his doctor to take one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar as yeast has problems thriving in acidic bodies. On the other hand, I have terrible teeth and my enamal has been eroding off the surface of my teeth for years and I am suspicious that this is caused by too much acidity in my saliva. Something else that needs investigating.

Sorry for the spelling, I'm tired.

Take care,
  3. FM58

FM58 New Member

Thank you. I will try to look into home test kits for the acid/alkaline strips.

Now that you mention yeast, I tend to have frequent yeast infections also - aahha - there must be a connection. A long time ago, (when I had a little bit more $) I was seeing a natropathic physician, he put me on Nystatin for Candida. I probably still have Candida, not sure how to convince my PCP to test or treat.

I can not use vinegar - that is a bladder irritant. I have to be extremely careful w/ my diet, between following the IC diet, food allergies, reflux/gerd issues - I am limited in what is left. Ugh! (I love blueberries, but .....)

All the Best,