Acidophilus or Digestive Enzimes???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jeannedanna, Feb 20, 2003.

1. jeannedanna

jeannedanna New Member

Just wondering which one is better.than the oter..to take for things like reflux....with what kind of results..Thank You Jeanne
  2. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Acidophilus provides good bacteria in your digestive system so that the bad bacteria and fungi, like, candida (yeast) can't overgrow in your system and it also helps digest food..specifically when you take antibiotics, you really need acidophilus because it kills the good bacteria which allows the yeast to grow and outnumber the good bacteria. The digestive enzymes, especially, if you don't have enough acid in your stomach like me, helps to digest the food directly and it provides other enzymes to help digest as well.. I'm sure other people have more to add, but you can do a search on this by using those terms in the search part on the message board..The acid reflux is a result of not digesting, well, so both of those should help that, as well, as certain foods.. LOL, AMELIA
    [This Message was Edited on 02/20/2003]
  3. Coach

Coach New Member

I've also heard that people have had some luck with acid reflux by using "proper" food combining rules. Basically, you don't eat carbohydrates and protein at the same time. Because enzymes that digest carbos need and produce an alkaline environment, and enzymes that digest proteins need and produce an acid environment, if you eat them together the result is a neutral environment and digestion is slowed down. I eat this way and I can really feel the difference (you don't get that bloated feeling after eating and I get hungry sooner.)

I think food enzymes also can come specialized for carbos or proteins, so you might want to match which ones you take with what kind of meal you're trying to digest. I'll bet you'd get the best bang for your buck using that strategy.

Other than that, acidophilus rocks. Besides taking a lot of probiotics (I like bifidophilus for supplementing), I personally make and eat kefir (very easy), even better than yogurt (larger variety of good microbes) and cheap as milk if you make your own.