Ack! I Have A Cold Sore

Discussion in 'Transfer Factor' started by Mikie, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I can't believe this. I've been on Heparin and Transfer Factor until a couple of days ago when I had to stop the TF. I've been so sick with swollen lymph nodes, headaches, and a sore throat, not to mention horrible fatigue, that I am stopping the TF until I get back from the Awareness Day event.

I couldn't believe I have a Herpes cold sore. I must be really run down as that's the only time I get them. It is a small one and I am icing it and putting Zovirex on it. I have Famvir, but I hate to overburden my liver with it along with the Doxycycline and Heparin. Also, I'm having to take acetaminophen for my headaches and it is very hard on the liver.

This cure is killing me :)

Love, Mikie
  2. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Good grief! Hope it clears up fast for you Mikie.

It is so weird but I haven't had cold sores for years. So many I can't even remember exactly how many.
    But just a couple weeks ago I broke out in two big nasty ones. I had the Origin cold sore lip shield I bought from PH in the drawer for my hubby as he gets them frequently. So I put it on immediately when I first felt the pressure starting and you could barely seem them starting. Plus I am on 1000 mg. of L-Lysine and have been for quite a few months. But did any of that stop them ... No Way!

What is it about TF that makes our immune system not able to fight off cold sores, colds and flu? I haven't had this much trouble before TF. I'm constantly getting colds and flu now.

Are you taking silymarin (milk thistle) for your liver? It seems to really help me. I will know exactly how much it helps me in about a month or so when I have my blood panel done again. But in the past it seems to keep my elevated liver count lower.

Take care.
    CelticLadee
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I think that the TF does stress our immune systems and that allows us to get other things. I am icing the cold sore and it has stopped and will never reach the blister stage. I have Zovirax in balm form and have been using that too. Between the two, the cold sore will go away.

I can't use the milk thistle because of the Guai. My liver labs have been OK, but I do try not ot overwork it.

I think that as we return to a more normal immune system, we may get more colds and viruses. The side that is in overdrive will slow down. Having part of one's immune system in overdrive is dangerous and can lead to autoimmune diseases. I guess if it means I may get some viruses, it's worth it to return to more normal health.

I usually don't get cold sores and this is indicitive that I am really run down. I didn't completely recover from the effects of last winter's flu when I started the Heparin treatment, so I guess I'm bound to be extra tired.

When I get back and start back in on the TF, I'm going to take it much more slowly.

Love, Mikie
  4. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

Mikie... I like that thought of our immune system becoming more normal ... the side that is in overdrive slowing down. If that is part of the reason we are getting colds, flu and cold sores now than it doesn't seem so bad.

I had not heard of icing cold sores. Does that reflect what it says... you literally take an ice cube and place it on the cold sore frequently throughout the day? Let me know as my poor hubby gets cold sores quite often and this would be great info. to pass on to him. I may need it again too. hehe.

Glad you won't have to go through the ugly stages of the cold sore process. I hate going out with my lip swollen and/or scabbed up.

When do you leave for your trip? If you have already left than I will know why you won't answer this post for quite awhile. hehe. Hope all goes well for you.

CelticLadee
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I won't be leaving until the 11th to drive up to Zephyrhills about three hours north of here. That way, I will be able to get up fresh for the Awareness Day event which starts at 10:00 a.m. on the 12th.

Yes, as soon as you even feel the tingle which comes ahead of the cold sore, you take an ice cube (I wrap it in a paper napkin) and hold it directly on the cold sore. It will hurt like hell at first, but keep it on and it will numb the sore and make it feel better. My cold sore was gone in 24 hrs. doing this. It never even blistered. If you don't get to the cold sore before it blisters or scabs over, the ice will still help kill the viris at whatever stage it is in.

I always wondered whether this would work on shingles which are another Herpes virus.

Hope the ice treatment is helpful. When combined with the Zovirax balm, it really works well.

Love, Mikie
  6. CelticLadee

CelticLadee New Member

I will let my hubby know about the icing and the Zovirax balm. He will be so happy to find something so effective.

That is an interesting thought about wondering if it would help Shingles. I can attest to definitely can feel similar nerve pain with either of them. The next person that posts they have shingles we should ask them if they would like to experiment and try it. hehe.

Hope you are feeling better now and stay strong for your upcoming trip.

Have you heard of anyone having a negative reaction to Malic Acid? Just wondering about it because I decided to try some - got it from PH - 250 mg. (P224) I started it on Friday and took some Sat. too. I had to stop it Sun. as it was seemingly making me ache and burn all over. Very similar feelings to when I was in my worst CFIDS flare. It seems to be a standard favorite among PWC so thought I'd try it to see if it gave me more energy or ?

I may try it again later on to make sure I wasn't just having a flare for an unknown reason. You really just never know for sure do you?

Hubby was asking me if some of my supplements are bad to take during TF treatment. Have you heard of anything like that? (Like how you can't take silymarin with Guai)
    I've never heard any discussion on this so I assumed it wasn't a problem but I don't know it for a fact.

Very interested in finding more about the stealth virus and toxin the NCF is indicating in their recent newsletter. I haven't got mine yet but have read a few posts on it. Looks like we have another battle on our hands besides the myco's and herpes, etc. huh? These may just be battles but maybe the SV/toxin is the mother war huh? Wondering what kind of treatment will be involved... do you think it may be a TF? or ?

Full of questions today aren't I? hehe. Take your time. I know you are a busy lady. Bless you for all your help.

CelticLadee
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

In any new findings. There are so many different types of viruses and we are walking Petri dishes that infections of opportunity seem to seek us out.

I don't know about the malic acid. I do know that any supplement can cause symptoms. Sometimes, it means that the supplement is having a beneficial effect and sometimes it means we are allergic to something in the product.

I once did tell someone with shingles to try the ice, but she never let me know whether it worked.

My guess is that while we are on TF, we are not at our best and nothing we do is likely to be normal.

Take care.

Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]