ACK! Red Tide Is Back

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone living along Florida's Gulf Coast, the growth of the Red Tide algae can spell an increase in symptoms and new symptoms as well. Even if one lives inland, the dry spores can travel for miles on the wind.

No one has to tell me when Red Tide makes its appearance. I am sneezing, my eyes are stinging and watering, and I am short of breath. Many at the dentist's office on Tues. were the same.

The Red Tide now runs from Sarasota to Naples and dead fish are washing up everywhere.

Red Tide is a neurotoxin and can exacerbate problems with the CNS. Nasty stuff.

BTW, I never eat seafood from the Gulf. The Gulf of Mexico is a sewer.

Love, Mikie
  2. rileyearl

rileyearl New Member

You just reminded me of a wonderful book called "Daughters of Copper Woman" by Anne Cameron. In one story, a whole village of people on Vancouver Island (British Columbia now) was enslaved by Spanish explorers. The women had to cook for them and wait on them. When the red tide came, the cooks made a delicious clam chowder for the Spaniards and that was the end of them.

I didn't realize it's an airborne toxin, as well. It happens fairly frequently in Puget Sound in Washington State. I'll pay attention to how I feel next time I hear about it.

Hope it doesn't last too long. Take care!

Francie
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

What an amazing story. Thanks for posting this. I guess the Red Tide has been around a long time. The algae washes ashore with the tide and dries on the sand. That is when it's picked up by the wind. I just made two short trips down to our dumpster area to take out the trash and I'm panting and out of breath.

Love, Mikie