ACK! Sick And Herxing

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Oct 1, 2005.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Someone posted asking whether there is a bug going around in FL. I think I can safely say, "Yes, and I have it." I started feeling like a virus was trying to get me about a week ago. Then, it went into a bladder infection and my lungs felt as though they had fluid accumulating. I started some ABX and have been using my zapper.

A couple of days ago, I added the Famvir because I feel there is a virus and/or my chronic viruses have decided to take advantage of the situation and reactivate. I can feel a cold sore trying to come out. This is always an indication that chronic viruses are attacking.

Today, I suddenly felt as though my head were in a vice and I almost doubled over with stomach cramps. The diarrhea finally hit and I am getting rid of the dead pathogens. Even though I can usually keep the chronic viruses latent, when I get sick with a bug, they can reactivate in a heartbeat. I feel I have to be ever vigilant.

My glands are really swollen, so I am having quite an immune reaction to whatever this is. I feel really sick but I know that once the Herxing is done, I'll feel better. The bladder infection is almost gone and my lungs are now clear. I'm glad I have ABX and AV's on hand when I need them. Pulsing the TF's is good, but once something hits, I usually end up having to use something else.

Just wanted y'all to know that the fall viruses have begun so be careful.

Love, Mikie
  2. nanna4550

nanna4550 New Member

I'm sorry you are feeling so badly, ugh. I hope you heal very quickly from this and don't have to spend any more time feeling so badly..
    Hugs, Nanna
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm sorry that this has hit you so hard. It sounds like you are slowly on the mend. Do take care.
    It is a reminder to wash our hands frequently and to keep some antivirals on hand.

Kathy.
  4. mjgkennedy

mjgkennedy New Member

You seem to have got the winter bugs very soon.

Do you get the flu jab. I cant as I seeme to be allergic to whatever is in it.

Hope you are better soon,

Love Mary
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

better soon, you have certainly been through it over the last week. Autumn viruses have hit early here too.

I had a nasty virus two weeks ago, it really knocked me for six. I'm not complaining though because this was my IS doing what it should and even better I did not have the usual awful aftermath, only a mild exacerbation of some symptoms which have now subsided.

As someone whose IS can go into overdrive I found this encouraging. Part of my protocol involves natural immune modulators, so it may well be these have contributed to the difference this time.

Having had this illness for 22 years I am aware of how we can seem to be doing well only to find ourselves going downhill again. So I'm not counting my chickens just yet, but if the same thing happens next time then I will have further confirmation I am on the right track. ATM I am cautiously optimistic.

love, Tansy

6. libra55

libra55 New Member

Sorry to hear you're feeling so sick. Gosh it seems so early to be hearing about the viruses and all that stuff, but I guess it's all out there already. I'm dreading it.

Please take good care of yourself and rest up and get well.

Abreva works well for me on cold sores.

((((((Hugs))))),
    Michelle
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

And, Tansy, I hope you continue to recover well.

I did feel this coming on, used my zapper, and Herxed once before. Evidently, though, it wasn't enough and the bladder infection and lung involvement started. That's when I brought in the big guns--ABX and AV. This must be a bad virus for me to need to do that or it could be that my recent fatigue, when the Klonopin wasn't working, has me too run down still to be able to fight off the infection.

In any case, I think I'm starting to recover. My lymph nodes aren't as sore but I still have a little cough. We recently had a Red Tide outbreak and our mold count has been very high. We've had a lot of rain this last week. I am very sensitive to the Red Tide and allergic to mold. It may just be that the allergies have me run down too.

The cold sore hasn't materialized and the pre-cold-sore pain and tingling have gone away. The Famvir must be working.

I really look forward to our nice Florida winter weather coming at the end of the month. Only problem is that the visitors bring all their colds and viruses down here with them. True Southerners blame it all on the Yankees :)

Love, Mikie
  8. windblade

windblade Active Member

What is Herxing and a zapper?

Please don't answer until you are feeling up to it.
    I hope you are getting better.

Here in N.J., my husband has been fighting off viral
    infections on and off all sept. He is a teacher, so there
    are lots of germs circulating. Still it's early in the year for this. I caught his virus at least once, and was
    wondering what your healing methods are.

Take care,and get well.
  9. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

hope you feel better soon. Lots of nasty viruses doing the rounds here in Scotland too.

I'm curious about the 'zapper' too.

love
    Rosie
    [This Message was Edited on 10/02/2005]
  10. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

MCD, I hope you and your daughter start to feel better. These bugs can really get even healthy people down.

Herxing happens when something, like antivirals, antibiotics, or zapper, kills off pathogens faster than the body can excrete them. It causes diarrhea, sweating, and even vomiting. The longer the dead pathogens stay in the body, the more toxic they become.

Prior to the actual Herx, there is usually an immune response to the pathogen attack. This can include a sore throat, swollen lymph nodes, headaches, fevers, and body aches and pains.

Zappers are battery-operated gizmos which emit a low-frequency, low-voltage current. It can be delivered to the body via rods one hangs onto, ankle/wrist bands, or metal plates one places on the body. This specific frequency wave is destructive to pathogens and will kill them in the bloodstream but not deep inside the body. Most pathogens eventually end up in the bloodstream after killing their host cells so consistent use of the zapper will eventually kill most of the pathogens.

I got my zapper from the Hulda Clark website. It is very well made and cost $150. It has been a real God send to me in clearing up the chronic infections which have plagued me for years. You can do a web search on zappers and learn more. You can also do a search here under Title and brin up our old posts on zappers and Herxing.

Thanks again to everyone for your get-well wishes and concern. I am still Herxing today and not feeling great, but my lymph nodes are not as swollen as yesterday. I do believe these viruses can make us sick for weeks because this one went almost immediately into fluid in my lungs and a baldder infection.

Please take care, especially when going out. Wash hands and carry around those little hand wipes, especially when eating out and using public restrooms. Do what y'all can to keep your immune systems supported.

Love, Mikie
  11. vertiesmth

vertiesmth New Member

MIKE, I AM JUST GETTING OVER THE SAME FLU. IT WAS AWFUL MAKES YOU WEAK AS A CAT AND THE STOMACH CRAMPS ARE TERRIBLE BUT IT DOES GO WITH IT. DOES ANY ONE OUT THERE KNOW ABOUT TAMIFLU? I'VE BEEN HEARING ALOT ABOUT THAT FOR THE FLU AND ALSO SUPPOSE TO HELP THAT CHICKEN FLU WHEN IT GETS HERE. HAVE TO HAVE A PRESCRIPTION FOR IT. VERTIE
  12. granny1353

granny1353 New Member

So sorry to hear you are sick. I am so glad you explained herxing, I thought that was what it was but not completely sure.

You rest, drink a lot of liquids, water is the best, and rest alot.

Granny
  13. windblade

windblade Active Member

Thanks for the explanations - it gives me more info. on the
    ways of the immune system. I think I'll print this out,
    and look up what those zappers are all about.
    I caught your answer so many days later, I'm hoping you're
    all over it by now.
    I love that word, 'ack!' too. It made me smile - it's so
    descriptive.
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I read "Cathy" in the comics section and that is the word she uses when something upsets her. It is such a handy word to express so many emotions.

Thank you all; I am getting better. In fact, I am Herxing a bit today as the ABX and AV kill whatever bugs are trying to take over my body. I have more energy and actually got my garbage down to the dumpster today. I always hate it when smelly garbage piles up. I even cooked a pot roast and it was yummy. Mmmmmmm!

I need my energy because I have decided to sell my condo and move. I need to get this place ready to sell and I need to get rid of extra stuff.

I think the best way we can deal with viruses is to hit them early on with an AV and get ABX if they go into a secondary infection. I've been resting, even though I have a million things to do, and drinking lots of fluids. I've been drinking cranberry juice for my bladder infection and I've been drinking a bit of dark cherry juice. It's not my favorite but it is supposed to be so good for ails us.

Y'all take care and don't get sick.

Love, Mikie
  15. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Moving can be so exciting but like Storm says, take care of yourself.

I didn't like the sound of you having fluid in the lungs but I'm glad you've picked up.

Take care

love
    Rosie
  16. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Hope you will be feel better soon. I just got over a really bad bladder infection. I had a flare on the Levaquin, but the doctor thinks it is just me and not having anything to do with the FMS. Didn't use to have this problem.

Glad I don't need antibiotics very often.

Feel better!

Hugs,
    Faye
  17. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

My grandson is three months old and I haven't seen him since he was born. He's turning over and cooing and laughing and I'm missing it all. I want to live closer to him and my kids.

I love Florida and the old fogies don't bother me--probably beause I'm fast becoming one of them :) It's just getting way too expensive to live here. The insurance carrier is no longer going to provide flood insurance for our condo bldgs. and the cost will go up about 40 percent. The cost of everything is skyrocketing down here.

The property is going to be needing a lot of maintenance or it will go downhill. It's still really nice and I think I can sell at the heighth of the scramble for FL property before it is priced out of reach.

Some areas of GA are attracting retirees because it is still so affordable. I am looking at Rome, GA. Military closings have caused a temporary slump in the housing market and housing is very reasonable there. Myrtle Beach is an area that is just waiting to take off, but it's too far from my family. Rome is in a beautiful area too.

Now, if I can just get the energy to finish cleaning this place so it can sell. It's in excellent condition but I need to get rid of a lot of things and get it ready to show. I'll hire movers to pack and move me. That's one thing I can't do.

Thanks everyone for your support. I appreciate it. I just hope this crud continues to improve and there are no relapses.

Love, Mikie
  18. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've turned into a wuss living down here in the jungle. It will be strange to wear shoes with toes in them again. Heck, it will be strange to wear shoes :)

Love, Mikie
  19. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so glad there is a doc in Asheville. My boyfriend grew up in NC and his Mom still lives in Kings Mountain. We spent the night in Ashville and, of course, toured the estate. I bought a couple of small pieces of pottery. It reminds me of Boulder, CO with all the arts and crafts.

The weather in Rome is pretty close to Atlanta's, so I don't think it'll be too bad. It's just when you live in the sub-tropics, you get cold when it's 65 degrees out. I think it's about an hour's drive, more or less.

I'm a mountain girl from CO, so I can take it :)

Love, Mikie
  20. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've enjoyed your posts. We toured the estate in spring when all the roses were in bloom. Beautiful! My kids went at Christmas and said it was awesome.

I'm going up next week to check out the Rome area. I'll let you know how it goes.

Love, Mikie