Acupuncture - Chinese vs. Medical????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TerriM, Feb 13, 2003.

1. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Hi - I am going to try acupuncture for the first time and have read some great things about it. I just read though that there is Chinese and there is medical and they are for different things . . . I have CFS and am not sure which I need (more for immune function/fatigue vs. pain) Does anyone know which is best?? Thanks! Terri
  2. LauraLea

LauraLea New Member

thing is that you ask if they have dealt with CFS before.

I went to a Chinese acupuncture it was great I got very fast relief.

I have not gone back only because for me I had a reaction to it. My skin broke out in an odd rash. But, if I had to do it all over again I would. I was in so much pain from a siactic nerve I could bearly walk. After the session I could walk 80% better....

Just make sure they understand your CFS
  3. TerriM

TerriM New Member

Thank you both so much . . . I didn't know that there were more than one type . . . I figured once I read it that the Chinese acupuncture is what I wanted . . . Terri
  4. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Terri
    My accupuncturist was trained in China and she is wonderful. There have been times when I could barely get around with a cane and she has all but eliminated the numbness and pain. I also use her for swelling at the ankles and have had great success. I have fibro and CFS so the pain I believe comes from the fibro. Good luck, hope it works for you.
    Sandy
    PS I only go back when I need a tune-up and use her as needed.
  5. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

I have a referral for 10 visits and have been looking through the phone book wondering who to pick. I thought I'd start with the ones that said they had experience in fibro first, then try to get any advice from friends, etc... My doctor told me about this MD who is also a certified acupuncturist and I was gonna call him till I read this post. I was thinking he might be good for any SS disability issues since he's a doctor too. But now that Madwolf informed me of the hours, I think I will go Chinese...if you please.

Although..this MD is listed in the pain clinic section of the phone book as well as acupuncture section and the regular MD section. Maybe it's worth a call anyway. I just need some pain relief is all.

Thanks for the info everyone!

~LISA
  6. TerriM

TerriM New Member

I have joint pain, but I don't have fibro so I am hoping an acupuncturist might still be able to help with my other symptoms . . . I made an appt. with an M.D., but am now glad I asked the question because I found a woman trained in chinese acupuncture just down the street & both take my insurance (Blue Cross Blue Shield now covers a percentage for acupuncture treatments) . . . I'll let everyone know how it goes . . . it will be my first time and I'm going in a couple of weeks. Terri :)