acupuncture on tues for 2 fibro knots anyone have luck

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by blizzybear, Feb 13, 2009.

1. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

I see a acupunctures tues, at va med center, she said it useally works if done in spicific areas where one flares up. but she said when she has done overall fibro it has not worked as well on her patients, anyone any luck, blizzy
  2. vivian53

vivian53 Member

Hi blizzy. I do use acupuncture treatments for a really sore place like my lower back. I have pain there with knots, from bulging discs that is exacerbated by my FM. I see an a Acupuncturist when all my other interventions need a boost (eg; extra meds, chiropractic manipulation, heat, hydrotherapy, etc). The doctor I see says that it takes five visits, if it is helping we can continue, if not, to try other types of treatment. I have had three different treatment episodes and he has helped me within about three visits each time. It has not helped with some neck and shoulder pain I have though. I also go in periodically for a "tune up", just like I do with my Chiro. BTW my doc said he feels just as many muscle knots in people with FM as he sees without. They only hurt the FM folks. Interesting.....

Good luck with your visit Tues, I hope you find the relief you seek,

vivian
  3. blizzybear

blizzybear New Member

THANKS YOUR INPUT GIVES ME SOME HOPE, MY USEAL TREATMENTS ARE NOT WORKING BECAUSE I BELIVE IT IS DOTO THE AMT OF STRESS INCREASES RIGHT NOW, THANKS
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

I've used acupuncture several different times. I have had 3 different practitioners, all were MDs. I would say that acupuncture has never helped my chronic level pain. I did get relief of certain acute pain, not total relief my any means, but relief. And when in ACUTE pain, any non-drug relief is welcome.

First time, I went for my overall symptoms, but saw no improvement in general health, pain, strength or endurance. It did work well for a whole year to relieve the pain of heel spurs. Worked really well. As he was an MD, he also switched my thyroid meds from Synthroid to Armour and I saw many improvements from that.

Acupuncture needles do not hurt when placed, in fact I find it rather calming. The only exception is in the heels, then HOLY COW !!

Next time I used a PCP (MD again) for overal symptoms, and again no improvement.

Next time, I saw an ER Doc, who also headed up our local hospitals' Acupuncture Clinic. He was in the ER when I went in for a partial shoulder dislocation and tendonitis. I did see a lot of relief from the treatments this time. Again, this was an ACUTE situation.

So, overall, I like and endorse Acupuncture and would use it again. Good luck. I hope you get some relief.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/13/2009]