acupuncture

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mollystwin, Mar 15, 2006.

1. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Has anyone tried accupuncture with any success? My friend has tried it and is convinced it is solving all her issues.
    dar
  2. eeyoreblue02

eeyoreblue02 Member

I want to see the answer to this one also. I'm interested in this technique.
  3. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Ihave found acupuncture to be very helpful and I continue to get it on a regular basis. It has helped the pain as well as being really relaxing. It has helped other issues that I have periodically like nausea.

There are lots of posts on this both pro and con if you do a search here.

Kathy.
  4. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I will do a search. I'm new to this board and I'm getting the hang of how things work. Didn't think to search.
    dar
  5. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I do it for my RLS. It seems to help some.

I have read up on it and the consensus seems to be that it seems to be helpful for certain conditions but they don't know exactly why. It's more of a theory than a proven technique. Even my doc says it's more theoretical but we do it anyway based on that theory.

It hasn't been a cure-all but has been helpful.

For what it's worth!

OH! And it doen's hurt if they do it right. You hardly feel the needles.

Sofi
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

I do it for my RLS. It seems to help some.

I have read up on it and the consensus seems to be that it seems to be helpful for certain conditions but they don't know exactly why. It's more of a theory than a proven technique. Even my doc says it's more theoretical but we do it anyway based on that theory.

It hasn't been a cure-all but has been helpful.

For what it's worth!

OH! And it doen's hurt if they do it right. You hardly feel the needles.

Sofi
  7. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Mollystwin:
    My neurologist is able to do it once a month with my insurance covering it. It does seem to help, but only temporarily. I would do much better getting it once a week.
    If you can: why not give it a try?
    Hugs,
    NyroFan
  8. LISALOO

LISALOO New Member

I've been getting it twice a week for three months. It has finally started giving me more energy. However, I did go to Milwaukee which is an hour and a half away for blood tests, to meet a friend for lunch, and to shop for 1 hour. I still had extreme post external fatigue. I felt like death. I've even gone to the accupunturist once since then, felt great that day, now it seems I'm back to it lasting only that one day.
  9. cynny3

cynny3 New Member

Hi, I'm chinese and was brought up with parents who believed in Acupuncture. But in my own experience, I must admit I'm conflicted.

I have witnessed Acupuncture doing wonders for things like brain tumors, constipation, and other ailments; but for FM, not so sure. Personally, I've been in and out of Acupuncture for years. It seemed to help my migraines a little, but didn't take them away permanently.

I went last year once a week for about 4 months for help with my immune system and it didn't seem to do much. I'm back doing it again because I was told about a different doctor who apparently does wonders. So far, it relaxes me for the day and that's about it.

My Reiki healer said I have to believe in the process and allow it enough time to work. It's getting very expensive and as a result, I'm getting very impatient with it.

So my non-professional opinion is that it seems to work for some people, but doesn't seem to do much for me. If things change as I keep going, I'll post again.

Cynny
  10. foodisyummy

foodisyummy New Member

Hello,

I've tried moxsha therapy and chi therapy. I find that temporarily or "on the spot" these techiniques bring relief, especially during a major flare up.

However, I find actual acupuncture quite unsuccessful with me.

Good luck!

11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i agree with others that if you're going to try it, it's most beneficial if you can go twice a week. the problem obviously is the expense. my acupuncturist offers twice a week treatments for $250 a month (8 treatments total). during an almost-remission last year, i happened to be just coming out of a month of treatments. i tried to replicate that surge in my health this past january by going again for a month of treatments, and though i felt better, i didn't experience the amazing gains i had the first time. i believe the benefits are doubled if you meditate during treatments and learn to channel energy around your body while your meridians are open.

eddie
  12. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

Thank you all for the advice. $250 for 8 treatments sounds like a very good price. Around the Detroit area it's $100 for one hour treatment. If you buy 4 you can get one free.
    I think I'll wait until after I go to FFC. I have to spend a fortune on that. I will use this accupuncture if I have any future nasty flares.
    Dar