Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by PatDLT, Sep 29, 2008.

1. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Hi all, I just went to my second session for acupuncture. The first time, it hurt when the therapist put the needles in my neck upper back and arms. It was hard because you have to stay in one position for 20 to 30 minutes. First time I was lying down and I got so stiff. It is hard for me to say in one position for too long. The first session...not great, but not bad. It did stop the pain going down my right arm from a 10 to an 3. The rest did not change. Today...WOW! Today she had me sit down. She put the needles on my neck shoulders muscles just below the elbows and wrists. Every needle hurt, but when she did my left side and put the needle on the side of my neck, she hit the nerve radiating down my left arm. I could only stand it for a few minutes before I told her to take them out. Is it suppose to hurt like that??

Has anyone had this expericence?

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

Hi Pat

I had acupuncture years ago and this doesn't sound right to me.

Some needles hurt (face) a little at first but stoppped. Sounds like she's not very good at insterting them.

Don't think this is someone I would continue with doesn't sound right.

Best of luck
  3. SkeptikSharon

SkeptikSharon New Member

Hi Pat,

Earlier this year, I was seeing a Traditional Chinese medicine doctor, and most of my sessions were fine, the needles didn't hurt that much, but the last one, wow! It hurt so much. I don't think it was just that he hit a nerve, because he tried taking it out and placing the needle in a different position, and it was still so painful I couldn't stand it. What he told me is that my body was too oversensitized at that moment to be able to finish the session. Since I've only gotten worse since then, I haven't gone back yet to try again, because I'm afraid it will still be sending so much pain.

I know my doctor was a good one, and that had never happened in any previous sessions, so I believe him that my body was too sensitive at that moment. I'm not sure if that could be the case with you, as I do not know anything about your acupuncturist. Just my experience....

4. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Thank you for your input. Last week I could not tolerate the the needles, very sensitive to most of the needles. Today, however, it was a bit better. I keep thinking it is because of the tender points. My Reumy said to continue with the acup. If it continues to hurt though, I will ask for someone else.

Thank you all.
  5. Scarlett2

Scarlett2 New Member

I've had acupuncture for several years now for my fibro and while sometimes you notice the needles, most of the time you should feel nothing. Now after the needles are in and you're resting quietly, they may start to itch, or ache a little or more commonly, you might just feel like they've become very heavy. I've only had one that hit a nerve and when I jumped, it was quickly taken out. There are naturally tender spots on your body (even if you don't have fibro) and those are some spots in your hands, feet and ears. Those just sting a bit when they're put in. After that, they're fine.
    If you go again, tell them that you're a little nervous since you've had bad experiences in the past and maybe they'll give you a needle that my people call "needle valium"!! It's right between your eyebrows and it's very calming. That might help you get through it. If it still hurts, maybe you should find someone else!
  6. ellikers

ellikers New Member

My body got WAY sensitive after developing CFIDS/fibro. Before I got sick I could have acupuncture and it helped my digestive system a TON!

Then after I got CFIDS, I noticed acupuncture doesn't work the same or feel the same ... I had a couple of treatments put I felt more uncomfortable than before and I didn't feel as good afterwards. Also I would feel more revved up after, like it was too strong.

I think my body is just more sensitive than before. Maybe if I went to a different practitioner it would be better.

I know LOTS of people that acupuncture has helped. Depression, thyroid disease, etc.
  7. jenn_c

jenn_c New Member

I have had a couple of nerve tests done. One from my lower back and downmylegs. The second was from the neck and down my arm. They use this instrument " cattle prod" and shoot electricity through it. Then they proceed to stick a needle into your muscles. When the needle was put into my lower neck the pain was excrutiating. I was crying and the doc removed it, which I didn't know he had. I was still crying saying that the pain was unreal even though the needle was removed. I had the same problem. Jenn

8. PatDLT

PatDLT New Member

Acupuncture can have an awful effect as well as a good one. This last session left my left side (side of my spine on my shoulder blade and down my arm) hurting all day until (session was at 10am) the evening, it kinda of stopped hurting a bit, but at the same time, the pain is still there. Why does every thing have to hurt to get better. It is not worth it anymore.