Acupunture Article

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Jun 29, 2006.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

Needles Against Pain

Acupuncture continues to defy skeptics. Adding to a growing body of evidence that the ancient art of healing via needle insertion is a legitimate therapy, a new Mayo Clinic study suggests that acupuncture reduces the symptoms of fibromyalgia. This disorder, characterized by chronic, widespread pain, fatigue, joint stiffness and disturbed sleep, is particularly difficult to treat; no cure is known, and treatments generally have limited effectiveness.

The Mayo study, published in the June, 2006 issue of Mayo Clinic Proceedings, involved 50 fibromyalgia patients in a randomized, controlled trial. Patients who received acupuncture showed significantly decreased fatigue and anxiety compared with the control group, who received “sham” acupuncture, with needle placements that do not conform to conventional acupuncture protocols.

Acupuncture fascinates me because it seems to work, yet is based on the movement of “ch’i” along energy pathways known as “meridians,” two concepts that Western medicine refuses to acknowledge as real. Yet I often prescribe it, and my patients often find relief with it. This may seem irresponsible, but the fact is that the mechanism behind many conventional Western therapies is just as mysterious as that of acupuncture. If it works, and has been shown to be safe, I believe it would be more irresponsible to postpone healing while we await intellectual mastery of the underlying process.

Taking Control of Your Health
    Preventive tactics can help to lessen the risk and reduce symptoms associated with a host of diseases and maladies. Dr. Weil on Healthy Aging has the tools and information to help you take control of your lifestyle and diet, no matter what your age. Get on the path to optimum health – sign up for your free trial today!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Weil's Vitamin Advisor