Acute Pain and Answers

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hartogold, Oct 19, 2005.

1. hartogold

hartogold New Member

Hi kind people;
    I haven't been here for awhile and have missed you all. But this morning when I woke up in tears from pain (and woke up several times during the night at well), you all were the first people I sought.

For the last 2+ months pain has taken over my life. I was "simi" diagnosed with FMS by my PCP and psych. over 5 years ago. I use the word "simi" because the phrase they used was "Yes...it looks and sounds like you suffer from FMS".

As a lot of us do, I just figured I'd research it thoroughly and take the advice and suggestions from those who have had this "disease" and learned how to control the pain and other symptoms. Since non of the over-the counter pain meds worked, my doc subscribed oxycodone to take as needed. At that time my pain was primarily in my neck, shoulders, spine, hips, knee area, and my right foot. I had the trigger points and about 90% of the symptoms of FMS.

I also have OA as well, and was diagnosed with that about 10 years ago. (I'm 52 now).

In an effort to feel better physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally, I've lost 110 pounds since April 2004. Most of my exercise consisted of walking 2-3 times per week. I hit a plateau in my weightloss so at the beginning of Sept., I started working out at Curves 4 times p/wk and walking 4-5 times p/week. I've done everything recommended to me to ease the pain of FMS and OA but it's not improving. Maybe it's the change in season, age, both..who knows.

I had also started feeling more and more pain around mid-August...an achy, stiff, persistant pain. I was taking oxycodone, but the dosage prescribed to me wasn't staying on top of the pain. It says 1-2 tablets every 6-8 hours up to 4 pill per day. I was supplementing with tylenol to no avail between dosages.

I had some oxycotin left from when I was on it in April but stopped taking it because it made me itchy. Well, I started taking it again today and it seems to belping more on a long-term basis thank God.

I guess I'm writing because I need to comiserate and am looking for any other suggestions. I've done extensive research on FMS and OA but there's always more information out there and I know this is a wonderful place to come for that information and empathy.

Thanks to all of you for your time and bless you for any help or suggestions you might have.
    Feel well,
    Sandy
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Sandy,
    It's nice to meet you. I, too am impressed by the weight loss. You have been far more active that I could ever be.I'm sorry about the increased pain. You definitely have come to the right place for understanding.

There are many reasons for acute flares and sometimes it takes time to figure it out. If you can spend some time reading posts here, you may find some interesting things that people are doing to help themselves. Try searching Fibro and Fatigue clinics ( FFCs) and you may find something helpful

Do take care and I hope you can find some comfort.

Kathy.
  3. hartogold

hartogold New Member

It was so wonderful of you to share your information with me. I've not spent a lot of time here because up until the last couple of months, my pain has not been so severe and acute.

I have had pain for years, but not like this. So you're saying that oxycontin is your regular pain med and you supplement it with tylenol? Tylenol doesn't seem to do anything for me and I can't take any other over-the-counter pain relievers because they cause problems with my stomach.

I am so excited to get to know more people like you here. I wished I'd come here sooner. I'm open to hearing anything you might want to share. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sandy
  4. hartogold

hartogold New Member

Dear Piano...
    You sound like such a caring soul as do many of the kind people I have heard from here. I can't wait to learn what I can and use what works for me.

What do you do for your pain?
    Sandy
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Hi Sandy,
    You are getting some good help from Nature. My pain is not as acute as yours and I generally get relief with Percocet, although I have needed oxycontin 10 mg. occasionally.
    Nature is right about combining a long acting med with a shorter acting one for breakthrough pain. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right combination. Don't give up, though, you will find it! Some people have tried Fentanyl or Duragesic patches

I'm sure that your weight loss will help in the long run.Also,as has been mentioned, there are some good herbals for pain and there have been some great bath recipies here lately. i.e. epsom salts and H2O2.

Finally, my ND is using high doses of fish oils as antinflammatories as well as a diet low in sugar, wheat, nightshades and other things one is sensitive to. Lots of fruits and veggies should be eaten. There is lots of diet info. here too. My pain went down after I started to pay more attention to diet.

I have rambled on here but I hope some of this helps.

Kathy.