Acute Pancreatitis, Gallstones and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dhcpolwnk, Feb 28, 2007.

1. dhcpolwnk

dhcpolwnk New Member

Hi, All. It's been a long time since I've logged onto this wonderful site, but a lot has been going on in my life.

Most recently, I was hit with an attack of acute pancreatitis, caused by a gallstone getting into the bile duct. I was in the emergency room for 12 hours before they diagnosed the pain and admitted me to the hospital. I ultimately had laparoscopic gallbladder surgery and went home after about a week.

Unfortunately, I went home with two new problems to deal with (in addition to my pre-existing fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, GERD, etc., etc.). I now have Type 2 diabetes and anemia.

Is anybody alse on this list dealing with both diabetes and fibro? If so, how do you handle the diabetic meal planning and preparation when you're dealing with fibro fatigue, pain or brain fog? I have a wonderful, supportive husband, but he can only do so much. I don't want him to get sick trying to help me!

I know something about diabetes, since it runs in my family. I've been on guard about it for years. Since I started doing yoga about 2-1/2 years ago, I've been eating better and exercising regularly. As a result, I had lost 20 pounds and was well within the "normal" weight range for my height before the pancreatitis. Now, though, I've lost even more weight. (I'm at the lowest level in my adult life.) I'm still within the normal range, but I'm getting a little concerned. I don't think it would be healthy for me to lose much more, but that seems to be the way the typical Type 2 diabetic diet works.

I'm also struggling a little with timing and measuring my meals. I really resent all the time I have to spend taking care of my medical needs! Doesn't leave me a lot of time to do the things I want to do.

I noticed some messages from early January 2007 about pancreatitis and *low* blood sugar. Does anybody know anything about pancreatitis and *high* blood sugar? They tell me I have Type 2 diabetes, but the surgeon who removed my gallbladder (who said he's a pancreatic surgeon) also told me that pancreatitis can actually kill some of the cells in the pancreas. He didn't know how much damage had been done in my case, as he was only paying attention to the gallbladder. But if the pancreas is badly damaged, wouldn't that give you Type 1 (insulin-dependent) diabetes? I certainly don't want that if I can avoid it!

The surgeon did say that after my pancreas has time to heal, I may no longer be diabetic. That's what I'hoping for, but now, five weeks since my surgery, I'm getting concerned. My fasting blood sugar seems to be coming down, but 2 hours after I eat, it still been pretty high.

I have a diabetes case manager, and after discussing it with her, I'm going to try changing the timing of the metformin I take for diabetes. But everything keeps getting more and more complicated, confusing and overwhelming. Just trying to keep all my meds and supplements clear in my head sometimes seems like too much to deal with.

Sorry 'bout the dumping. I know this board is about fibromyalgia, not diabetes. But so many of my symptoms seem to overlap my multiple conditions that I don't know what's what--or whether I'm taking the right treatment. And the people on this board have been wonderfully helpful and supportive in the past.

So if you have any ideas or suggestions to share, I'd really appreciate them.

--Laura R.M.

2. CiaoHoundz

CiaoHoundz New Member

Hi Laura,

You have a lot of questions, some I may be helpful with, some not.

I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes last year in addition to fibro about seven years ago. I also have had migraines since childhood and some chronic depression.

Diabetes does run in my family. Initially I was kind of discouraged with the diagnosis, plus high cholesterol, etc. But, I found that I adapted pretty well and am actually eating much better than I have in my whole life.

With paying attention to my diet, it has offered me some relief with the fibro. I have had to pay attention to certain trigger foods for all my life with migraines. So, I guess I interpreted that there were certain trigger foods to avoid or control with diabetes.

I found that taking my blood sugar before eating and two hours after....doing it about three or four times a day really helped me to see what was working and what was not. That helped regulate all the meds for diabetes, in addition. Now, I can tell you that I really don't think a whole lot about meal planning as it is pretty automotic. If I want to indulge I plan for the extra carbs.

I sure hope this helps you!!!

Maureen