Ad for CFS in Better Homes Gardens

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by GBHope, Jul 15, 2006.

1. GBHope

GBHope New Member

There was actually a full-page ad for CFS showing a website to go to through the CDC in Better Homes and Gardens. At least they are actually recognizing it as a real condition, just wish they could do more for it.

GBHope
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

I'm upset at these ads. The one I saw does give more legitimacy to CFS, but it is sort of reinforcing the stupid name on millions of people's minds.

I truly think research will soon know this has nothing to do with being even seriously tired, so if this ad and others like it perpetuate that myth, we are going to make a big mistake at a crucial time in the history of this illness.

I hope they wait to finish the ad campaign, as there is so much important work going on right now. I can wait, if it means there will be really great answers for us.

How about you guys? Can you wait if it means a real cause and possibly a treatment is found?

There's always hope!
    findmind[This Message was Edited on 07/16/2006]
  3. findmind

findmind New Member

Would like to see more input...

findmind
    [This Message was Edited on 07/16/2006]
  4. GBHope

GBHope New Member

but it was interesting to see this. The website went over quite a bit about the subject. The ad itself says, "my memory is shot, my legs feel like lead, every muscle in my body is screaming, so why do people think the problem is all in my head?" It also went on to say how isolating and debilitating it can be when those around you don't understand what you're going through and that you're not alone.

The website was www.cdc.gov/cfs. Check it out. I myself felt good that they were taking it seriously and not just pointing to it as a mental thing and we should all be on anti-depressants. I personally can't take anti-depressants. They make me feel horrid!!!! Hope this helps to shed some more information about the subject matter I posted on. Take care everyone.

GBHope
  5. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

I saw the CFS section on the CDC website but haven't searched to see if they changed the criteria for diagnosing CFS. That will affect disability benefits and I doubt that they'll lower the criteria by much.

Jan