Adapting car to single hand use?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Juloo, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

Woke up earlythis morning aaparently having injured my shoulder severely either by aggravating an existing partial rotator cuff tear or spurs or by developing all new ones. Three years ago the orthopedist wanted to do surgery, but I talked him down to physical therapy and all has been fine. Now have a nasty feeling surgery is in my future. I don't want to be unable to drive for weeks or months. Anyone ever had their car adapted to single hand driving? I can get a steering wheel knob, but what about directional signals, horn and wipers? Can changes be reversed? How much does all this cost? P.S. Am typing lefty today -- may not reply very quick. Thanks.
  2. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

You should call a van-mobility place & ask them.
    There's one in my city called "Superior van & mobility" (just in case ya wanna google them for the phone number).
    I'm sure they get Q's like that all the time.
    But if ya get a doofus on the phone, ask to speak with the owner or supervisor. If they don't specifically know how it's done, they should be able to direct ya to someone who does.

Hope that helps.

3. TwoCatDoctors

TwoCatDoctors New Member

The electric cooter dealer that I use does so much work on vehicles too, so that is another source. So check with them. My dealer is the one that got my scooter lift put on the back of my car. My car had to go two places first (and they were reputable places that he worked with and trusted) then came back to him for the final work. Plus the scooter dealer I use knows what can be done on which cars/trucks/vans for the disabled. He is very knowledgeable.

Also, you can check with your Independent Living Center (ILC) (below is a safe site to find that) near you and they have many sources. The ILC near me knows so much and so many places and they are another source for help.

[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Sorry about your arm. Ouch!!!

When I broke my arm, I could not drive. However, I soon graduated to a partial cast which helped.

I was so scared to drive. I did not want to be a danger on the road. I practiced several days driving in the apartment parking lot before getting on the road.

Have you asked your doctor or other people who have had this, what they did? It might be a good resource.

When I broke my arm and wrist it was on my right side but I am left handed. I can imagine how difficult it would be if you are injured on the side where you write, etc.

I have always done some things with my right arm and I really realized this quickly.

Hope you find a solution. Let us know how this goes.

[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  5. Juloo

Juloo Member

Thanks for the good ideas -- I see my first doctor in the morning. Will be plenty tired as I have only got 1 1/2 hrs. sleep since 3 a.m. this morning. AND I will be 'breaking in' a new primary at the same time! My great nurse practitioner is off doing her residency and will soon be a doctor. I am taking my husband for back-up. I don't want the doctor to get all distracted by the fatigue and fibro.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

To hear about this. I hope you do not have to have surgery. Keep us updated. Is your car an automatic or stick shift?

I ruptured my right bicep tendon and had to have surgery about ten years ago. The arm was strapped to my chest. I drove using only my left arm and hand. I simply reached across to move the automatic gear shift. I could not have done this with a stick shift, though. I was working at the time and had to learn to write with my left hand. I had to do everything as a leftie. Even today, except for writing, I am pretty ambidexterous. It's amazing what one can adapt to.

Good luck.

Love, Mikie
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

I read you've recently had surgery yourself! My car is automatic (thank goodness). My brother-in-law, who had shoulder surgery last year, said he drove leftie as well -- I think I'm going to have to practice with short trips close by. As of this morning, I can move all my fingers, and my hand on the affected arm. I can move the lower part of my arm (hand to elbow), as long as the elbow-to-shoulder remains fairly stable. I can move my upper arm about 30 degrees from my body in any direction, but no more. I was very excited because I managed to get a regular shirt on (no button-up-the-front husband shirts) AND deodorant. Oh, the little things!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Sounds like things are going well for you. I'm so glad. You are right, surgery really makes one aware of how much we take for granted when we have the use of our bodies and how much the little things mean when we don't. I actually started to treat it like a game to see how creative I could get to get things done. My Mom was the most creative. She put a safety pin on the end of a long jewelry-sized chain. I could pin it to my zipper and pull the zipper up the back of my dress and remove the pin with my good hand at the top. I was working at the time and was wearing dresses. Down here in FL, we also wear loose, long dresses which don't have zippers and I was able to get them on. Right before the injury, I had bought new glasses and it's a good thing because I couldn't get my contacts in.

Good wishes and prayers coming your way.

Love, Mikie
  9. Pippi1313

Pippi1313 New Member

DUH, me! LOL!

My neighbor, Bill, rides a motorcycle.
    Bill only has 1 arm.
    Hence, if they can make a 1-handed motorcycle, a car should be EASY!

PS: I just wanna know how Dude ties his shoes! Seriously!!!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/30/2009]
  10. Juloo

Juloo Member

I never knew there was such a thing! Cool!

The tip on zippers is a good one. I wouldn't have thought of that.

I am getting a little more self-sufficient. Can now get about 60 degrees of movement, and p.t. starts tomorrow. Finally got my hair washed tonight. So nice!