Add Bell's Palsy to my list of things wrong!!-??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovinlifeinAK, Jan 27, 2006.

1. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I mentioned this in alaska3335's post. Doc thinks that due to the cold weather it brought this on. THough mild it is VERY annoying!!!! Has anyone else dealt with this before??
    [This Message was Edited on 01/31/2006]
  2. victoria

victoria New Member

this can also be a symptom of Lyme - have you been checked?

My DH had a variation of it - face spasms - took a lot of supplements, so not sure what helped, but eventually it did; I think he probably has Lyme as we know our son does (he was tested), and our son has my same symptoms - we just don't have the $$ to get tested ourselves as no health insurance.

all the best,
    Victoria
  3. debswen5

debswen5 New Member

Way back, and I do mean way back when I was 21, I had a beautiful friend that just woke up one day and the total left side of her face was affected by Bell's Palsy. The drs. thought she might have gotten it from the air conditioner blowing on her while she slept...luckily it only lasted about 10 days. It certainly made an impression with me!! Wishing you a quick recovery.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/27/2006]
  4. Roseecoop

Roseecoop New Member

Yes!! I had it back about two years ago. I actually got it from a very severe ear infection that I had let go and it ended up spreading into my sinuses and my face became very swollen. The infection was so bad that I was on antibiotics for 21 days.

I woke one morning and my whole side of my face and tongue were numb. I was on Prednisone for 2 weeks because the doctor told me that the steroid would reduce my facial swelling and may shorten the duration of the Bells Palsy.

I ended up having it for about a total of 12 weeks. It got a lot better after about 9 weeks but it was completely gone after 12 weeks. I would have to say though that the worst part of it was my eye. You have to make sure that you keep lots of drops in it or it gets really dried out because you can't blink. Keep lots of drops in it and keep an eye patch over it to keep it closed as much as you can.
  5. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Yes, I'm in Fairbanks for a week...now I remember why we left!! Sorry, it's just tooooo colddddd!
    Sorry you now have Bells palsy to add to your list. I have a friend who had a bout with it last year- her face had a bad spasm, but after a few months, it disappeared. So, if yours is mild, it will disappear even sooner! Take care and stay warm! Terri
  6. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

several years ago. I noticed her mouth was twisted though she was adamant nothing was wrong but she agreed when she looked in mirror.

She was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy, it left after a few weeks and never returned. Hope this is what happens to you.

love
    Rosie
  7. lovinlifeinAK

lovinlifeinAK New Member

I went to a new theumy yesterday and she has a WHOLE bunch of blood work she wants to do. The lab wouldn't do it yesterday as I had not eaten and she did not want me to have a bad reaction.

All are for autoimmune problesm. I have never heard of anyone in Alaska having a problem with Lyme's Disease. We don't even have ticks. I was born and raised here......have traveled to Las Vegas for Nascar races 2x's.....is this something I should check, I have never heard of anyone having that problem here.

I also have to get a chest X-Ray, check for swollen lymph nhodes. You could tell her wheels were really turning as I told her all that I have been enduring for the past year & ahlf, and how each month gets worse.

She started me on a higher dose of anti-inflammatory, which is making a difference, hopefully it will continue.

Thank you all for your responses and concern. Firecop1066 I will defiantly check that website out. I have been looking for a good one. I have on the predisone now. Which does knock the numbness and ear pain. I had to call the doctor today because he said if there were any changes in my symptoms to contact him right away.

I wake with ear pain on the inside of my ear and behind the ear, then on the right side at the base of my skull hurts, till the predisone kicks in. Though the cold is not helping the symptoms at all. If I am out for any length of time it gets worse. Sorry rattled on for away
  8. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

I second the motion for a Lyme disease test. Bell's Palsy is definately one of the symptoms.

Although you live in Alaska where the reporting of Lyme is rare, you have traveled to other states.

There are many myths about Lyme Disease. One of them is that you must be bit by a tick. There are other means of transmission including mosquitos, fleas, mites, and flies. It can also be transmitted from mother to child gestationally or through breast milk. It can also be transmitted sexually.

Lyme is very difficult to diagnose. Most testing is unreliable. The best tests available are the Igenex Western Blot and the Bowen. However, it is a clinical diagnosis so labs alone cannot diagnose, so it's very important to see a doctor who is thoroughly familiar with Lyme Disease, preferably a LLMD, Lyme Literate Doctor.

A negative test does not exclude Lyme. Please believe me, I went to many doctors for 5 years with a CFIDS diagnosis, and had two negative Lyme tests from a knowledgeable doctor before the Igenex test came back positive.

For more info go to lymenet dot org.

Wishing you the best,
    Hopeful4