ADD Drugs for Fibromyalgia

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Harperv, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Harperv

Harperv New Member

Does anyone have any information about using ADD stimulants to treat Fibromyalgia? I have found one website regarding this. Thanks.Rogin
  2. KailaK

KailaK New Member

Can't remember the issue of the magazine but I took a Health magazine to my MD regarding the use of Provigal for CFS. I did use it for a period of time until my insurance refused to pay because it was not being used to treat narcolepsy. (That is what the insurance had approved it for) I did notice it to be effective with treating my CFS.(debilitating fatigue) Now I am taking Ritalin and it makes a big difference in how much I am able to get done but boy does it exacerbate any anxious feelings you may have. If you would like to read about provigil you can check out Web MD Health. I'm not sure what symptom of your fibro you were referring to.

Take Care!:)
  3. Kelly12

Kelly12 New Member

Adderal is one of the newer Amphetamines and is excellent for ADD. However, you will most likely have to pay for it yourself for the same reasons mentioned above. It is generally only approved for narcolespy use as most insurances won't pay for Adult ADD. It is the best one I have tried, but was about $150 a month for the dose that I needed. I had to give it up for that reason.

Take Care,

Kel
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

For anyone considering stimulants, I suggest reading Dr. Cheney's articles in our library on Klonopin and the one on use of SSRI's and stimulants.

Our brains are in a slight state of seizure and need to be brought into a more normal state. Stimulants can cause the neurons to actually fire faster or misfire even more causing brain damage. Stimulants can help in the short run but do a lot of damage in the long term.

Antiseizure meds like Neurontin and Klonopin can help stop the seizures and help with sleep, anxiety, sensory overload/panic attacks, RLS, and tinnitus.

Love, Mikie
  5. marilyn

marilyn New Member

I have been taking rit and adderal for months now and I think they have helped me greatly. I have a clearer head and now I do have some motivation to get up and get moving with pain or not. It does give me some tenseness but I would rather be a little tense than a vegetable on the couch ar bed. My insurance does pay because the dr. has a reason for use. It does matter why your dr. is using it for and they want to know. I have heard some people with minor dementia have used it and it helps them also. Fibro fog is terribe and I will try anything to help my life be more normal. My children and husband deserve me to be the best I can be. If it means I need to take this I will!!!!!!!! try it it may help
  6. WorldFalls

WorldFalls New Member

I have used dexedrine on and off for years. Whenever I find that the foggieness is getting too bad, I take dexedrine and I find myself much, much clearer in the head. I don't take them a lot, only when I really need to clarity. If my homework is extra difficult or something of that importance I take a small dose. I'm not convinced the stimulants are entirely safe. I don't like the feeling I get when I'm on them...the rapid pulse and pounding heart, not to mention the fact that they make sleep harder, and Lord knows, it's hard enough to sleep without taking stimulants! But I do believe that if they aren't overused, they can be a huge benefit.
  7. 1maqt

1maqt New Member

We have trouble sleeping! I just started Neurontin, Ambien, and Antibiotics. I did a jump start with Cipro, for two weeks, then on Thurs (2Days from now) I will start on the doxycicline.

I have had FMS for 28 yrs, and nothing has worked like this combination. That's just me!! Each person has to do what's right for them.

If you take the ABX and they don't do anything, then they don't work for you? Just as the symtoms are so diverse, and the severity varries from person to person, so do the things that work.

Do your research, there is an excellant Library here, and ther are LInks to other sites. I kept a journal, took it to my Dr. She read it , and it made sense to her. She agreed to the meds, because she felt I had a good sense of my own desease.

Read, Read, Read! It is the best way through this DD, and
    it gave me a sense of peace to understand what was wrong with my body. Before, I felt like I was from another planet, because the Doctors do not study the latest facts that come out. They don't have the time...with the way the HMO are dictating what our treatments are, and what meds we can take. They also dictate what they will pay the doctors!! They have to work twice as hard to make the same
    money. Not all dr's are good Dr's, ane neither are all parents, but at least we can pick our Dr's.

Am I on a soap box???? Sorry.........1maqt

[This Message was Edited on 01/14/2003]
  8. Harperv

Harperv New Member

I have tried the Neurton--couldn't take it--caused me to be too space to even walk plus in constipated me unbelievable.
    The Ambien doesn't work at all for me. Are you on Anitbiotics full time?
    Rogin
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Stimulants work in the short term, but in the long term, they can do great damage to the brain. Using them in someone whose brain is in a slight state of seizure is like advancing the idle speed of your car's engine to cover up for a rough-running engine. It will help cover up the misfiring of the spark plugs, but in time, it will burn up your engine and the transmission as well.

Fog and fatigue are often caused by our inability to sleep. Many people try neurontin and quit because it leaves them feeling groggy in the morning. One may need to adjust the dose or stick with it for a bit and this side effect will go away as the body adjusts. I believe that Klonopin is easier to adjust to, but most docs seem to prefer Neurontin.

It is so sad that many of us get so desperate to feel clear headed and energetic that we will ignore warnings of something as serious as potential brain damage in order to feel better today. Please read Dr. Cheney's articles so that you are at least making an informed decision. Whether or not to take these meds is a personal decision and I'm not trying to tell people what to take or not take. All I ask is that when we make these decisions, we are making them with all info available to us.

All meds can have side effects, and this includes Neurontin and Klonopin. Unfortunately, we are often asked to choose between the lesser of two evils.

Love, Mikie