Adderall/Dexadrine

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by patientnurse, Sep 11, 2005.

1. patientnurse

patientnurse New Member

Has anyone been prescribed adderal to give you more energy?
    Why is this drug not in the protocol for our treatment of symptoms? It's an amphetamine, and used to treat narcolepsy and ADD in children. Although I am a nurse, I haven't been able to practice because of severe FMS. I have just heard of this drug from another healthcare person. Before I go to my rheumatologist about this, I wanted to hear from people who have used it.
  2. elsa

elsa New Member

Many CFS/FM patients take adderall in their treatment plan. I wish I could answer you as to the "why it's not more common knowledge". My guess is 1. docs don't really know where to go first and 2. It's an amphetamine and carries "legal" issues.

I have inquired about adderall here. ...Wondering if it
    would help focus along with fatigue since it is an ADHA drug. Dr. Lapp ( A fibro doc in N.C. ) has listed adderall in his treatment protocal for just those reasons.

I take provigil and have good success with it, but it is not intended for "focus". I do have more clear thinking with it ... but probably because it works on the wake/sleep cycle in the brain cortex.

I also wonder if switching temporarily to adderall would prolong provigil's effectiveness by giving my body a break from it.

If adderall is taken, some supplements should go along with it to maintain neurotransmitter balance as amphet. deplete things like serotonin and dopamine .... but that's a different thread! LOL

Let me know what you uncover if you wouldn't mind ...
    I think the best way to keep our "favorite" rx's effective is by taking breaks from them ... I don't want to be left in snooze land during one of those breaks!

Take care,

Elsa
  3. primemrob

primemrob New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this sight and saw your comment:

"If adderall is taken, some supplements should go along with it to maintain neurotransmitter balance as amphet. deplete things like serotonin and dopamine .... but that's a different thread! LOL "

I was identified as Adult ADD in 2002 and started taking Adderal...since then I'm been diagnosed with a RLS (lack of dopamine), SAD, etc. all related to depletion of serotonin and dopamine. Can you let me know where I could find out more about these side effects. Thanks.
    primemrob
  4. tilla

tilla New Member

I could not make it without my adderal. I don't see why it is addictive. It is abused my druggies, but they crush up the pills and sniff it - I believe.

I also think it should be mentioned more often. I went on Ritalin first and with that I did find I needed some sort of antidepressant.

I just found out I have sleep apnea, so it is good I was taking the adderal. I think we are deficient in dopamine anyway, so why not take it.

You wouldn't want to take more than your prescribed dosage because then you could not sleep. They have an all day pill you can take (time released).
    Tilla