Adderall (Meth) for ADD/ADHD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Grammcrkrs, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Grammcrkrs

Grammcrkrs New Member

I was so glad to read the article about using a med for CFS that is also used for ADD/ADHD, because the doctor for my 18 yr old g/daughter put her on Adderall (which uses a miniscule dose of methamphetamine).

Of course, I was SHOCKED when I learned what was in it..but she desperately needed something..and it is working very well indeed. Without it she is back to her old self...which all of us know how it is when we have CFS/Fibro/EPS.

Also, she is on Medi-Cal (Which is medicaid in Calif)..and her doctor had to verbally fight tooth and nail to get the ins to approve, but it finally did. yay for her doctor!

2. nerdieduckie

nerdieduckie New Member

My doctor put me on Vyvanse for CFS (and also ADD / ADHD which I believe I have had for years, as I'm doing sooo much better on it now in several mental aspects.)

I think Vyvanse is in the same category as Adderall except it's formulated so that it is released more slowly in the system. It's digested and processed like food, rather than Ritalin which digests in a burst and can cause the opposite reaction wanted in some people (like my boyfriend, to him Ritalin was like pure sugar.)

I was a bit scared to go on it just because of the whole amphetamine aspect, but once I went on it...omgosh. It's kind of being overpowered by the fact I'm in a CFS flare right now, but my doctor doesn't want to up my Vyvanse dosage unless I'm still like this when I go visit him July 1st (my last appointment was June 3rd.)

In the back of my mind I'm still always like "wow, this is something that could be really intense." Also, it has reminded me that I need to buy a safe before I move into my dorm at college because it is a controlled substance.

So much responsibility because of one little pill, but because of such a help that it has been to me, it's worth it.