Addicted to Tanning?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JLH, Jan 19, 2007.

1. JLH

JLH New Member

Addicted to Tanning

Do you need to tan? Could you be obsessed with it? Are you addicted to it?

People are addicted to cigarettes, drugs, alcohol ... but tanning?

Each day more than 1 million Americans use a tanning bed. Why do some men and women keep going back even when they know it could cause cancer?

Tara Burton admits she was addicted. "I think [tanning] physically makes me look better, but it's mostly for the feeling that it gives me." Burton is stuck inside all day at her desk. Her only sun exposure is fake -- 30 minutes, three times a week in a tanning bed.

Burton's elated feeling is one Dermatologist Steven Feldman, M.D., Ph.D., says people can get addicted to.

"Their skin looks terrible ... and it's wrinkled. I ask them why they do it, and they say things like, 'Oh, it just makes me feel so good,'" Dr. Feldman, of Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, tells Ivanhoe.

He says people who are addicted experience a high similar to drug addiction. "The skin releases endorphins, feel-good molecules, from skin cells when they're hit by ultraviolet light." When frequent tanners stop, it's like taking their drug away.

Dr. Feldman says withdrawal symptoms can even include the shakes and sweats.

"I had nausea, vomiting," Burton says. "I felt jittery." It made her realize she no longer wanted to be tan -- she needed to be tan. "I definitely don't feel as good."

Unlike alcohol or drug addiction, tanning won't kill you, but it is the leading cause of melanoma -- and that kills 8,000 Americans each year.

Dr. Feldman says there is no cure for tanning addictions or any secret pill to help break the habit. The only thing tanners can do is spend more time in natural sunlight to feel better and use self-tanning lotions to help achieve the desired look.

If you would like more information, please contact:

Lisa Long
    Public Relations
    Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center
    (336) 716-4588

Ivanhoe Broadcast News

[This Message was Edited on 01/20/2007]
  2. butterfly83

butterfly83 New Member

I've heard this before, and I think it's true. A lot of young girls especially think they have to be tan all the time, even though tanning beds are extremely dangerous to your health. When you do something against reason, that you know is detrimental to you, there must be an addictive thought pattern tied up in there somewhere.

I guess I'm lucky to be born with skin that can never possibly tan! ;)
  3. kriket

kriket New Member

I have one at my house and have been trying to sell it.

Reason: I have had two moles removed from my body that was well on their way to becoming cancer. I have very fair skin, and burn most of the time anyway before I actually tan. It's just not worth it. My grandfather died from melanoma, that is another reason.

The determatologist greatly frowned at me when I asked her about tanning beds. She told me to stay as far away as possible from them. So, I am taking her advice.

Good Informative Post!!!!

4. JLH

JLH New Member

I've never been in a tanning bed in my life, due to my extremely fair skin.

I've often thought it would be nice to feel the warmness to see if it would help my arthritis, but without the exposure to the lights!

5. boltchik

boltchik New Member

I have never tried one for two reasons:

Seems very harmful to the skin, concentration of ultra-violet rays on the skin that close up seems very dangerous.
    And, I am also claustrophobic. I would never even consider it.

I have tried the spray on tans though. They are expensive, but I found an alternative. I only use them once in a while. Neutrogena tanning foam. I hope they do not discover that these are dangerous to the skin.

Kim :)