ADDICTION WHO CARES???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by msurina1, Sep 25, 2006.

1. msurina1

msurina1 New Member

I'm sure I will get a lot of flack about my choice of Title and what I am going to say. But, if I don't say it I will burst. All this talk about addition to pain meds gets me so angry. Let speak reality.

REALITY FROM A 20 YR. VICTIM-ME!! The last thing a true Fibromyalgic thinks about is addition. There is no cure for this disease, there is no proven treatment for this disease, and it doesn't look like one is on the near horizon or in our lifetime.

That is REALITY ladies and gentlemen. When you talk addition you petrify others with this disease, you cripple them and add another problem to their lives.

So what if we get addited? What problem is that?? We will be on pain meds the rest of our lives. Sometimes I just don't understand people. The choice is being bedridden or a chance to live and function. No one, never, ever, should suffer pain, never not matter what your sickness is. You should never have to beg for drugs. AND WHO CARES ABOUT ADDITION!!!

2. Summit

Summit New Member

As someone who has had Fibro for 15 yrs, I understand what you are saying. I cannot! just lie in bed, it's not an option. I have to function. The only chance of that, is to be allieviated of at least some of the pain......pain meds! Yep. I hated the thought of taking "pills" everyday. I now know, I have little choice. Oh, I can skip them, sure. But, I won't last long, I'll tell you. And then it's even harder to get relief. Much better to take your dang pills, so they stay in your system, so you don't get to the point of impossible Pain. My doctor knows my concerns. She assures me the meds I take are appropriate to me and my ails. I only take 1/2 a sleeping pill....I'm stubborn, and dont' want to move up to that whole pill, LOL. I still wake up 1-2 times a night, but compared to 5-6 times......hey, I'll settle for that! My chiropractor also said, about pain, and not getting it under control......if you have that pain going on and on, they nerves and muscles are damaged by it. You have to control the pain, or you make yourself worse (not to mention your suffering) So, yes, find a good doctor, tell them your concerns about addiction etc. and then do whatever you can to make the need for pain pills as little as possible. i.e. massage, hot bath, meditation, take breaks as you can throughout the day, and moderate excercise and stretching excercises etc. In other words take care of yourself as much as you can (considering we all have responsibilities in life, and most of us have to work, and really, the luxury of just laying around....ain't good for you. If you don't use it, you Will lose it) When I'm in pain (bad) your right...the last thing on my mind is "will I become addicted to my pain meds" hell, I can't function....I have to do Something!
  3. dr32164

dr32164 New Member

I fully respect everyone's choice for whatever meds they will or will not take. I have had FM & Lupus (and several other autoimmune diseases) for about 18 years now, and I cannot live without my meds. I work full time and I will not allow myself to not be fully functioning. I do not take any narcotic drugs for the pain, as I have been lucky to find non narcotic drugs that do a decent job controling the pain. However, I agree that if you are in pain, you need to take whatever works without worrying about addiction.

I would rather 'live' a full life as much as I possibly can, using whatever is available to help me, than the alternative. I have already accepted the fact that I have to take other drugs for other autoimmune diseases for the rest of my life anyhow. Am I an addict that I need to take thyroid replacement meds? If I am not an addict for taking those necessary drugs, why would pain medication, that is also necessary to function, be considered an addiction.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
  4. caffey

caffey New Member

I am so angry at some of these docs. I would like to throttle them. These guys/gals have no clue what addiction is. Addiction is when you take more of the pills than prescribed i.e. if it says every 4 hrs. and you take it at 3 hrs. and take 3 pills instead of 2 and if you take it in ways other than what is prescribed i.e. shooting, snorting etc. What you all are talking about is drug dependency. That is what narcotics do to us and if we use them reg. or use the long acting we will go into withdrawal if suddenly taken off them but it is not being drug addicted. I hope you understand the difference and that you will be at peace with your decisions re. narcotics. It is time that stigma gets buried somewhere. I hope that you all will keep searching until you get the meds and care that you deserve. Wishing you all the best.
    Cath
  5. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

I so agree with you. If we don't have any quality of life, we have no life from my view. I take prescription drugs and I am not ashamed of it. If I am addicted to them, so be it. I will be taking them the rest of my life anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I am not opposed to natural cures and I take many supplements. I have used the trial and error method to find out what helps me and I will keep using it. I understand many of us that are struggling with this DD can't take some of the drugs and have to find other options. One thing that seems so true is that we all respond to different methods of treatment. I feel it is important to accept and respect whatever others have found to improve their health. So, I am with you......Addicted? Maybe so......
    [This Message was Edited on 09/25/2006]
  6. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I totally agree. This worry about addiction really hinders some people. Doctors and society need to understand that we will be taking these drugs our whole lives so why does it matter if we get addicted...we are dependant on them anyways.

My mom has had this for 22 years and long ago lost her worry for addiction and thank god her doctor is willing to prescribe meds. I have had this as far as I can think back but have only been on meds the last 3 years.

I don't care if I get addicted, which I haven't, if it means I don't have to be bedridden and I can get out of the house a few days a week. Bedridden is not an option.

Addiction? Who cares?
  7. millennia

millennia New Member

A friend of mine told me that her mother was addicted to ambien because she couldn't sleep without it. I asked if she could sleep before she took the meds and my friend said no (of course). I said well then isn't she addicted to actually sleeping???????? Yes, we get addicted to being able to sleep and not being in pain, the rest of the world sleeps and isn't in pain, don't we have the same right?
  8. chilly

chilly New Member

Well, I just buzzed through the replies to this post and it didn't "appear" that anyone dissagrees, so I will be the first one to step out on that limb. If any of you are truly addicted to meds, you already know what I'm going to say. But if you've never been addicted or known someone who is, you have no clue. I've been on medication most of my life, and narcotics for aboutt three years. I am not addicted, but I am VERY cautious about the possibility of it. I have lived with and around people who are addicted all of my life. Knowing addiction as I do, I can say most of you don't understand what it is.
    I am slightly "dependant" on my medicine. That means I have to have it to function at half speed. Most days when I don't take it, I can't do anything. But here's the point: I can CHOOSE not to take it and stay in bed or sit around all day. If I don't take it, I don't lose control and beat the hell out of someone or cut my wrist or have to be hospitalized with seizures.
    This is what doctors have seen all too often, and this is what they are trying to prevent. There are doctors who won't give me narcs, because they don't know me well enough to know how cautious I am. If I want my GP to trust me I have to make the prescription last as long as possible so he knows I'm not taking too many. Because of this he gives it to me when I ask.
    Don't bother dissagreeing with me because I know I'm right when I say it is better to be cautious than to be addicted. If your doctor doesn't feel safe giving you narcs it's because you haven't convinced him that you will not overuse it.
    Yes, it is hard to be in pain especially if you know there is something that will help. But do your homework about addiction.
    Learn first what an addict's life (and death) is like. Then learn exactly what you have to do to prevent becomming addicted while taking narcs. Then learn what addicts do and say to doctors so you will know what not to say.
    Some of the things you want to avoid when asking your doctor for pain med. #1. you don't ask him for pain meds at the first visit. It has to be his idea. #2. you tell him your symptoms and how desperate you are to feel better. You don't tell him what to do for you until he has been treating you for a while. #3 Tell him you HAVE to have relief, and be willing to consider ALL things that he suggests. ie; rest, heat, sleeping pills, seeing a neurologist, then a physologist, exercise (so what if you can't move much less exercise! He has to know you tried) Not until he has exhausted all other avenues with he resort to narcs.
    Here's the bottom line: Pain is torture. Dependence sucks. Addiction is hell. Narcs are helpful, but not a cure. If you want narcs be prepared to endure more pain before taking them. Be prepared to take OTC meds in between doses to stretch the time between narcs. If OTC meds don't work take them anyway and go to bed. If you have to have pain meds in order to work, you should evaluate whether you need to change jobs or go on disability.
    I guess I've said enough. Hope you all get the relief you need.
  9. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

msruina:

Yes! If we need meds all we have to do is take them and not worry about any problems with them.

If we need them to live a fairly normal life: why not?

nyrofan
  10. waxdiva

waxdiva New Member

As a person who has taken a variety of pain meds over the past 20 years for a variety of reasons: surgeries, car accident, illnesses, etc., etc., I am in total agreement with you.

I know how different drugs affect me, as I'm sure everyone who is reading this does...which one makes you sick, which one makes you sleepy, which one helps.

Thanks for your post.

M

11. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

Over the last month or so I have been taking vicodin almost daily (lowest dose no more than 2 a day). I find that if I take one in the morning, I can actually get up and do things for awhile. I have been concerned w the addiction issue, but like others have said...what does it really matter if it helps make me feel better?. When the dr gave it to me, she said to only take it if I really need it. It's like they try to discourage you from taking it, but I will be sure to tell her I am finally feeling human again thanks to it. We'll see if she'll refill the Rx next time.