adernalin rush at 3 AM every morning

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by trishabeth, Feb 7, 2006.

1. trishabeth

trishabeth New Member

I wonder if someone can shed some light on this: For the last several years, almost every night, I wake up from a dead sleep with an adrenalin rush. feels like my heart sinking and anxiety. sometimes it nearly knocks me out of bed. I have found myself walking very quickly through the house for no reason at all. I am not sleepwalking. I am very much awake and usually find somthing to worry about right away which keeps me up for 2 hours usually. Then, about 5:30 this relaxing feeling comes over me and I quite happily go back to bed and to sleep. Also, at night, problems that wouldnt bother me much during the day will bother me "unrealisticly" in the middle of the night. Why should I feel diffrently about a subject at night than during the day?
  2. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

this is just a personal hunch, but during sleep, the brain is purging the stressors of the day. this action takes place in the hypothalamus. a normal person sleeps right through this process, though sometimes they get a hint of what's going on via their dreams. with us, the stress response is "stuck" and overloaded, which may manifest in that waking adrenaline rush you describe. problems may seem exaggerated because you're viewing them through the eye of the subconscious rather than the waking mind. do you take anything for sleep? how do you feel during the day?? that sort of waking can really increase fatigue and worsen other symtpoms over time.

eddie
  3. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

That is so much like me, I could have written it. I don't have any advice, but you're not alone, and I'll be following this thread for any ideas.

I have been taking .5 lorazepam and it was helping a lot. It worked for a while, but not anymore.

Sue in Ontario
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

My husband gets them. He wakes up out of a sleep or even when he's awake.

He'll get very nervous and doesn't want anyone to touch him. He paces the floor.

Xanax keeps his under control.

Kendr
  5. trishabeth

trishabeth New Member

At one time, I'm sure I had sleep apnea. It would cause me to start throwing punches. I had to move my bedside table to spare my knuckles! And yes, I would start having a nightmare right before. Klonapin helped get over that. I got off Klonapin because it made me crash more during the day. example: I couldn't even drive 20 miles to the grocery store without having to pull over for a 10 minuite nap! each way!
    So no meds at all for the last few years, except for a few short periods of time they tried to give me anti- depressants and muscle relaxers. muscle relaxers and anti-depressants overstimulate my CNS, cant fall asleep in the evening and gives anxiety during the day and no pain relief. Anything with pam ont the end of it causes extreme anxiety, misery, and makes me think I'm going nuts!
    Anti-depressants generally depress me and make me think unrealisticly like it points out "just how shitty life really is" and I don't ever think that way normally.
    My subconcious dream state sometimes overlaps into my waking state. example: I'll decide its time to go to bed,and on the way to the bedroom I might feel a little sleepy, then, before I even get my clothes off, I start to dream. Then I'm like hey! wait a minuite, I'm not in bed yet , stop that! but I can't.
    Also I might add, when I wake up at 3 AM it is accompanyied by my entire back being in spasam. But this is a usual occurance for me, day or night.
  6. kch64

kch64 New Member

Glad you got off the klonapin. that sounded terrible for you.

you had to take a nap each way for a 20 mile drive?

If you keep having them, see if your doc will give you some xanax (low dose). Or maybe you need a sleep study.

i sometimes wake up at 3:00 and can't go back to sleep.

I've read that sometimes our adrenal glands are out of sync and push out hormones at odd times.

Do you work? This has to be hard on your system.

Kendr
  7. ScooterD

ScooterD New Member

I use to suffer from this exact thing - same time every night for a few years. My doc dx'd it as "early morning insomnia" and after some counseling, we determined it was from added stressors in my work and personal environment. I suffered from panic attacks/depression at the time also.

A slight increase in my meds helped somewhat but what really helped me the most was to accept my day just started that early! If I focused on the anxiety/rush it seemed to get worse so I would do housework, do my grocery shopping, or anything to make the time and anxiety go by more quickly. (this was before this DD so i was physically more active. my neighbor found me washing my windows, outside in my pj's at 5:00 one morning. the look on his face was priceless!)

It took about a year before I started sleeping later in the morning.

Best of luck! Scooter
  8. trishabeth

trishabeth New Member

I gave up work, last April. I hate not working. I couldn't handle working and going to the dr. both. I have brain fog, and bad, bad, memory problems, and confusion. I move slow in the mornings because I hurt. then halfway through the work day, my adrenalin would kick in and I would move very quickly around. Couldn't help it. But I cant be friendly and I can't carry on a conversation about the weather or anything else. I'm quite hostile actually. I blank out kind of. I'll go in and clean a room 3 times because I don't know I have already been there. I loose track of what I'm doing all the time. I forget where I'm going, what I'm doing. People think I'm a ditz. People will always pick on me eventually. I'm actually quite intelegent in reality but this sickness had made me shy. I avoid people. I cant remember there names or even their faces. I lost my personality long ago. My Dr.s dont have a clue. The only thing they know is treat for depression or anxiety. -I know what cures me -hydrocodone- cure the pain and my personality comes back, the pages of the book years of disease progression are turned back. But they wont give me the medicine! They wont even try! One medicine works and they wont let me have it. And injections worked a litte bit too. Why they wont give me more I dont know why. I wish I had some rights! 22 years of this and I just found out about hydrocodone last year. SORRY I'M RANTING!
  9. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

You need to steel you willpower and decide that you are going to find yourself a doc that will have some compassion for your plight and get you some decent pain relief. make it your resolution for this year.

I have some ideas on the sleep/wake problem, but my own cortisol has taken a dip and I'm doing a light therapy treatment to perk myself, so later.

Jeanne
  10. trishabeth

trishabeth New Member

thank-you everyone for the advice. I am not alone! yes, I'm going to have my cortisol levels checked, check for hypoglycemia then take those results to a real FM Dr.
    How much does one cost? I was recently approved for Iowa Care since I am not working but they will not pay for me to go anywhere except University of Iowa Hospital. I am willing to find a way to get the money to get treatment. So, how much could a person expect to pay?
  11. Empower

Empower New Member

What meds do you take?
  12. kch64

kch64 New Member

Some docs test with blood and some with saliva. I've heard that cushings syndrome can cause some of your symptoms.

If you can, get an appointment with an endocrinologist and tell them what's happening.

Hang in there.

Kendra
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

That used to happen to me, I had a saliva test done to check my cortisol levels and they were skewed, high in the middle of the night causing middle of the night insomnia.

I had the test done through Clymer healing Research in Pennsylvania via phone, e-mail and regular mail.

They put me on Seriphos (phosphorylated serine), it's not a prescription drug, to lower my cortisol and it started working within a day. It took a few days to get the dosage right but it was great and really helped enormously with middle of the night insomnia.

I found it was best to take the Seriphos first thing in the morning on an empty stomach, and before lunch on empty stomach. I started out wtih 8 capsules (in two 4-capsule doses) 2-1/2 years ago and now am down to 2 capsules in the morning.

I think everyone on this board should get their cortisol checked, there's so much anxiety and insomnia. I know many have the opposite problem, low cortisol, but I think many probably have high cortisol too.

Mary
  14. davebhoy

davebhoy New Member

this happens with me, mainly after drinking alcohol, and the length of time i am awake for seems to be directly proportional to the amount of alcohol i drink.