Administrative Hearing coming

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jumpinjuice, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Jumpinjuice

Jumpinjuice New Member

I have an administrative law judege hearing coming in May, and I am so stressed about it I am making myself sick. I have waited 3 years (I know some wait longer) and I am afraid that I will do or say somehting wrong. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to get through this with my sanity intact ?

Shelly
  2. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Had mine 1 month ago, still no new's.

I hope you have a lawyer/advocate.

Dress down, no make-up, jewerly etc. You need to look sick, even if you feel better that day.

Move/talk soft slow.

Answer yes/no keep it short.

be honest/tell how little you can do on your worst day.

they like specific's, like I can only stand 10 min. then need to sit/lie down, etc.

Best wishes,

Claudia
  3. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Vague complaints like "I can't lift anything" are not helpful to your case. Be specific. For example, "I can no longer reach behind and get something from the back seat of the car. I have to buy milk in quarts now as it is too painful to lift a half gallon."

Instead of "I can't bend over", say something like, "Somedays I can't tie my shoes, and I'm afraid to pick up something from the floor because sometimes I can't straighten up."

4. Jumpinjuice

Jumpinjuice New Member

Thank-you very much for your input, I appreciate the help !

It's ashame this has to be such a scary thing ! And yes, I do have an attorney.

Thank-you again !
    Shelly
    [This Message was Edited on 04/24/2006]
  5. suzetal

suzetal New Member

Be your self do not lie os try to look sicker than you are. Judges can see through this.

The first ? she asked me was why did I feel I could no longer work.I started to cry and than told my story.I had just gotten a proimotion and a 15000.00 raise why would I lie about being sick just for 698.00 a month not even enough to live on.

Also told her that my dare Husband had retierd from teaching after 34 yrs because we were all set .Well he needed to get a full time job to keep up.

Never give NO or YES answers .My attorny told me that if I did that it would be tough to win.If she asked how did my pain affect the day.
    I would tell her .I could not get up without help and needed assistance for a shower and how long it took me..I could not get dressed needed help.If asked how long you can sit dont say 15 to 20 minutes remember your there and the judge can see if your ok with sitting.If you need to get up do so if you need to turn do so I did.

Asked who makes my meals when Im alone.Told her thats why we have a micro wave .

They had thier Doctor and a vocational expert.Thier Doc. agreed with my doctors.I had had some test that most people never have.They were impressed that I had tried every option to get well.The vocational expert never spoke not one word.

I also had a letter from my employer explaining that I had tried many times to return.Also that I had not missed a day in 8 yrs.

If I think of more Ill let you know.

Be your self.Good luck.
    Sue
  6. findmind

findmind New Member

Please, please, please look up SSDI on this site, under search/topic.

Maybe there's more under SSDI hearing or ALJ too, ok?

Just be yourself and be truthful as you can be.

I cried all thru mine, and with a file 2 feet thick, plus a daily diary my atty gave to judge, well, it was approved with no problem.

It'll be ok, relax a little, ok? Most ALJs are very familiar with FM and CFS now, they just need to hear it from you personally.

Best of Luck,
    findmind
  7. Jumpinjuice

Jumpinjuice New Member

Thank-you very much for the help. I have been honest from the start and was so frustrated when I was turned down initally. I kept saying, but I was honest and I told the truth why doesn't anyone believe me ?.....That has been the hardest part through out all of this, was to be so honest and open and still have others doubt your sincerity. But I just keep hanging on :)

Thanks again,
    Shelly
  8. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Shelly:

First of all, please do not 'make yourself sick' over the hearing. You will be a wreck by May. You can comfort yourself with knowing that most people at this stage of the game will win. SSA expects people to drop out sooner out of frustration. If you can go all the way with it, good usually comes with it.

Advice: If you have a lawyer let that one do most of the talking.

If you are going alone,keep your answers brief and do not give anymore information that is not asked for. Fear of foot in mouth problem here.

If you have copies of your reports and the questions and answers you gave when applying---bring it and refer to it or just memorize key elements. Sticking to the script is very important.

I know you will recieve loads of advice, many differing from mine, but it is what I would do.

I had a lawyer and virtually just sat there numb as all heck.

luck,

nyrofan

9. Jumpinjuice

Jumpinjuice New Member

I appreciate the help. I do have an attorney. I am hoping that he will do most of the talking. It is exhausting having to explain yourself and your illness. I was diagnosed in August 2001 and didn't quit working until July of 2003, I thought I was the energizer bunny :), so I did try to keep working and just couldn't do it, my Dr. told me it was time to quit working because I was just making myself sicker. So I am hoping they will have all the documentation they need to settle this without much input from me. Besides I have a tough time talking about all of this without crying.

Thanks again for the help, for everyone's help ! I have also checked SSDI and ALJ searches for answers and it has been very helpful as well.

Shelly
  10. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Since you have a lawyer, I'd ask him for a list of the most commonly asked questions that you can expect. This will give you an opportunity to think what your responses will be. I believe it will also take some of the stress off of you.

I'd also think of the question that you are most fearing----

Then I'd work on a response to that question. It is amazing how much better we can do when we are prepared. I also think it shows in our confidence level and ability to effectively communicate in stressful situations.

Best of Luck---Joyfully