adolescence and cfs

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Tiki, Nov 25, 2002.

1. Tiki

Tiki New Member

As the mother of a cfs sufferer of 16 who has had this condition for 2 years, I find it difficult to differentiate between "normal" adolescence behaviour in my daughter and cfs symptoms. Basically, my daughter gets EXTREMELY irritable and angry with everybody several days per week. We all have to "tread on eggshells while we're around her". On the other days she's just fine and a pleasure to be around. I was wondering if anyone out there has lived through the stormy adolescence years while suffering cfs, and did you find things improved - at least psychologically - as you left the teenage years?
    I also wonder if my daughter might just be suffering from reactive hypoglycemia. I can't get any doctor to test her for this here (in Ireland) as they all say "this test wouldn't be suitable". Basically, they haven't a clue about cfs (or M.E.) as it's known by here. I just feel like I'm up against a brick wall!
  2. Tiki

Tiki New Member

As the mother of a cfs sufferer of 16 who has had this condition for 2 years, I find it difficult to differentiate between "normal" adolescence behaviour in my daughter and cfs symptoms. Basically, my daughter gets EXTREMELY irritable and angry with everybody several days per week. We all have to "tread on eggshells while we're around her". On the other days she's just fine and a pleasure to be around. I was wondering if anyone out there has lived through the stormy adolescence years while suffering cfs, and did you find things improved - at least psychologically - as you left the teenage years?
    I also wonder if my daughter might just be suffering from reactive hypoglycemia. I can't get any doctor to test her for this here (in Ireland) as they all say "this test wouldn't be suitable". Basically, they haven't a clue about cfs (or M.E.) as it's known by here. I just feel like I'm up against a brick wall!
  3. *Isla*

*Isla* New Member

Hello!
    I am 17 and have had CFS for 5 years and FM for 2. It is my experience that if you think it's a problem, passing it off as normal teenage behavior will probably make the problem worse. I went through a period where I was really irritable. For me, it was because I was anxious and depressed. I'm not saying that this must be the case with your daughter but being a teen is stressful enough without the added stress of a chronic illness. Maybe talking to a psycologist could be helpful. As for the hypoglycemia, My mother suspects I have that too but since I couldn't get tested, I find it's easier if I just do my best to keep my blood sugar stable. I eat many small meals at regular intervals throughout the day. I try to make sure I never go two hours with out eating something healthy.
    I hope this is of some help to you. God bless and keep smilin'!!
    *Sonia*
  4. Tiki

Tiki New Member

hi stillafreemind
    Thanks for that. It helped to talk to someone about it, and even though I somehow anticipated the answer to my question "will things change a lot when she hits 20 or so", it was still good to hear from you.
    Tiki