Adrenal Dysfunction

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marlene35, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

For those of you who have been treated for Adrenal Dysfunction, how long does it take for the treatment to have an effect. I have been taking Adrenal Extract and other supplments for 4 months and do not notice an improvement.

I have not had a blood test for this. The naturopathic doctor who is treating me said that the best test for this is: Take your blood pressure lying down and then again standing. If your BP drops when standing that is a sign that you have adrenal dysfunction. If it goes up, then it is OK.

Please let me know if any of you have had experience with this.

Thank you.
  2. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

I appreciate all of your suggestions and plan to follow up with these ideas.
  3. astroherb

astroherb New Member

One of the main things that was causing my FM was extremely exhausted adrenals. I am working with Dr. Farr in Florida to address the problem. I initially took an adrenal salvia test to determine the problem. I take an adrenal extract, B5 vitamins, DHEA and other adrenal support. I started the program almost a year ago and have steadily improved since that time.

Three months ago, I also added Withania Complex, which is a mixture of licorice, Korean ginsing and aswaganda. That stuff is amazing for me. I am now feeling so much better and am able to do things that I haven't had the energy for. In fact, I am now feeling better than I have felt in a very long time.

Licorice does cause your blood pressure to rise, so you need to be careful about that. The Withania Complex also caused some weight gain. But feeling better is so worth it for me.

In any case, I definitely would not use these supplements unless you are under the care of a health care professional. The adrenals are delicate, hard working glands and you should not mess around with them on your on. I also strongly advise getting tested on a regular basis. The formula and intensity of the program needs to be constantly tweeked.

In any case, I would recommend finding someone who can help you with dosages and the program. Patience is required--it has taken me almost a year to reach probably 90% improvement, but well worth effort. Good luck.

4. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Adrenal Extract can be very dangerous. Adrenal dysfunction should be diagnosed by an endocrinologist.

The best way to get a diagnosis of Adrenal Dysfunction is a blood test. The BP test is not at all accurate as medications POTS, and other disorders may give you the same result. I would be very worried about this advice. It's simply not true.

Why won't you take a simple blood test for this? Don't rely on a saliva test.

The endocrine system is a delicate balance. If you do not need this, it can mess up the rest of the endocrine system. It may give you a boost in the short run but in the long run can do lots of damage.

An accurate diagnosis can help you feel better. Sooner.

Please take care.

[This Message was Edited on 06/27/2010]
  5. gapsych

gapsych New Member

A blood test gives you much more accurate reading than a saliva test.

I would also hesitate seeing a doctor who does not actually see you. Emphasis on "I"!!

6. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

I appreciate all of the helpful information. Now I am a little concerned that I am being treated for Adrenal Dysfunction without having had a blood test to determine the need.

Do I need to see an endocrinologist or can I see my regular MD?

7. astroherb

astroherb New Member

First, regarding the blood pressure, I agree that one must be very careful with certain supplements and the blood pressure issue. My blood pressure was extremely low when I began to treat the adrenals so it was not an issue. Now that I am getting better I need to watch my blood pressure closely. It is now 140/80, which two doctors said is not a concern unless it goes higher.

Regarding blood tests over saliva - I have done extensive research on this, and I believe that blood tests do not give a complete picture because they are taken only in the am. The saliva tests and taken throughout the day and thus give a much better picture. For instance, my adrenal hormones were high at night (when they should be low) and vice versa. Now that they are becoming more even, I can actually sleep through the night. That's huge.

I absolutely refuse to get in a discussion on blood tets over salvia test. Do your research and, as always, buyer beware. Because, in the end I think it all depends on the skill of the doctor. As we all know, it is very, very hard to find someone who knows what they are doing and who ALSO cares.

Jammin, thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

Rainbow, yes I am working with Dr. Farr that Catseye worked with. It hasn't been easy but it has been very productive. I pinch myself daily, to believe that I am really feeling as good as I am.

Good luck, Marlene, I hope you find an answer.

8. Marlene35

Marlene35 New Member

Can someone tell me where Dr. Farr is located and what is his first name. I live in the NW part of Ohio.

Thank you to all for your kindness in giving me information and answers.
  9. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

I had this problem. I took glandulars for a few years and they helped a little but then I found Standard Process and took their product for adrenals. It fixed my adrenal problem in a few months. What makes it different than a regular glandular is that it contains something called protomorphogens which occur naturally in organs and act as a template or blueprint for the adrenals to rebuild itself.

The problem now is not wearing out my adrenals again. I discovered that since I'm so tired and my cells aren't making enough energy I was using adrenaline as a substitute. I don't know how to stop doing that unless I am laying down resting all by myself all the time which of course I can't do.
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Marlene - I was weak as a kitten several years ago and my chiropractor who does muscle testing showed that my adrenals were quite weak by muscle testing. He gave me Drenatrophin PMG by Standard Process (an adrenal glandular product), and had me take about 3 times the recommended dose. Within a few days I was feeling quite a bit better. I had to keep taking it for quite awhile. I had no bad side effects at all (and I am very sensitive to meds and other products).

Also had to take a good B complex and extra pantothenic acid. Pantothenic acid is crucial for the adrenals. And of course eliminate or very small doses of caffeine, alcohol and sugar, and minimize stress as much as possible (meditation is very good for this).

Over the years I have taken a couple of other adrenal glandular products - Cytozyme AD by Biotic, and Adrenogen, I forget who makes this one. But they all helped me.

But in the beginning especially, I had to take a high dose.

My chiro told me that the adrenal glandulars give your adrenals a break so they can rest and recuperate, unlike Cortisef or other steroids, which he said push your adrenals to work harder when they are tired.

11. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Jamin - Maybe that is my problem - the 20 to 30 cups of coffee I used to drink every day. My doctor did check my adrenals, however, it was a blood test only. I've never really researched adrenal fatigue as my doctor assured me it wasn't something that I have.
  12. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Yes, I loved a good cup of coffee!

I worked for a very stressful company for five years. I ended up leaving because the stress was going to end up killing me and I knew that nothing in the company was going to change anytime soon. I liked the job and the people I worked with and for, however, the company was very poorly managed and as it was a family business, their self-taught management style was never going to change.

Friends of mine spent five hours one evening trying to talk me into quitting my job as they could see what it was doing to me. I kept thinking things would get better once we got the new computer and had it up and running. It was only after I left that I realized just how bad things were. I should have listened as one of them had known me since I was five and she knew me well and knew that something was really wrong.

BTW - I did some research on adrenal fatigue, however, I don't have most of the symptoms so I'm doubting that it is a problem for me. My CFS didn't start until four and a half years after leaving that company.
  13. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Fatigue is the wrong word to describe CFS. For me CFS is chronic never ending exhaustion and post-exertional malaise. Going by the list below, I only have a few of the symptoms; most don't apply to me.

- Tendency to gain weight and unable to lose it, especially around the waist.
    - High frequency of getting the flu and other respiratory diseases and these symptoms tend to last longer than usual.
    - Tendency to tremble when under pressure.
    - Reduced sex drive.
    - Lightheaded when rising from a horizontal position.
    - Unable to remember things.
    - Lack of energy in the mornings and in the afternoon between 3 to 5 pm.
    - Feel better suddenly for a brief period after a meal.
    - Often feel tired from 9 - 10 pm, but resist going to bed.
    - Need coffee or stimulants to get going in the morning.
    - Cravings for salty, fatty, and high protein food such as meat and cheese.
    - Increased symptoms of PMS for women; periods are heavy and then stop, or are almost stopped on the 4th day, only to start flow again on the 5th or 6th day.
    - Pain in the upper back or neck with no apparent reason.
    - Feels better when stress is relieved, such as on a vacation.
    - Difficulties in getting up in the morning.
    - Lightheaded
    [This Message was Edited on 06/30/2010]
  14. gapsych

gapsych New Member

A blood test for your adrenals is the "gold standard" to find out if you have adrenal problems.

15. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Wow, that was fast. While intuition might get you far in other areas, not necessarily medicine.

I will go by a blood test any day compared to a pendulum. Fine for you, it's your health.

The bottom line is that taking adrenal extract can have very serious consequences if your adrenals are fine. It can lead to real adrenal failure in the longrun.

A blood test is the "gold standard".

16. gapsych

gapsych New Member

This is from

Is there such a thing as adrenal fatigue?
    Todd B. Nippoldt, M.D.

Adrenal fatigue is a term applied to a collection of nonspecific symptoms, such as body aches, fatigue, nervousness, sleep disturbances and digestive problems. The term often shows up in popular health books and on alternative medicine Web sites, but it isn't an accepted medical diagnosis.

Your adrenal glands produce a variety of hormones that are essential to life. The medical term "adrenal insufficiency," or Addison's disease, refers to inadequate production of one or more of these hormones as a result of an underlying disease. Signs and symptoms of adrenal insufficiency include fatigue, body aches, unexplained weight loss, low blood pressure, lightheadedness and loss of body hair. Adrenal insufficiency can be diagnosed by blood tests and special stimulation tests that show inadequate levels of adrenal hormones.

Proponents of the adrenal fatigue diagnosis claim this is a mild form of adrenal insufficiency caused by chronic stress. The unproven theory behind adrenal fatigue is that your adrenal glands are unable to keep pace with the demands of perpetual fight-or-flight arousal. As a result, they can't produce quite enough of the hormones you need to feel good. Existing blood tests, according to this theory, aren't sensitive enough to detect such a small decline in adrenal function — but your body is. That's why you feel tired, weak and depressed.

It's frustrating to have persistent symptoms your doctor can't readily explain. But accepting a medically unrecognized diagnosis from an unqualified practitioner could be worse. Unproven remedies for so-called "adrenal fatigue" may leave you feeling sicker, while the real cause — such as depression or fibromyalgia — continues to take its toll.
  17. kjfms

kjfms Member

I have adrenal issues along with fibromyalgia but I am a pituitary patient. I had a macroadenoma resection in 2007 and my pituitary gland is now failing. Then only thing I can say is it sucks, one hormone after another going kaput.

Best of luck to everyone.
  18. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Yes it is important to have your cortisol level taken at different times of the day. I had forgotten that.

My cortisol levels tend to run high normal.

19. tigerlily787

tigerlily787 New Member

I found that an adrenal tonic wasn't sufficient enough on its own. When I am well, it is like I am constantly running a marathon.

I used Standard Process adrenal supplements with success. They are adrenal gland builders and they took a couple weeks to take effect.

My other standby for my adrenal fatigue is parsley. It works on the adrenals and kidneys, enhancing urination and cleaning kidneys.

Generally, if someone took something for 4 months, they should notice an improvement. My body takes 2-3 weeks to make an improvement after adding something new, sometimes 1 week, and sometimes 1 day, but never 4 months.

My adrenal insufficiency was diagnosed with Bolen Blood Analysis and the Acoustic Cardiograph.

20. u&iraok

u&iraok New Member

Sometimes you have to treat the entire endocrine system since it's all inter-connected. I had to take the ones for Pituitary and Hypothalamus and Thyroid and Ovary in addition to the Adrenal one but I knew from testing that I needed those.

You've probably heard of the HPA axis and how it's messed up in many people with CFS? (Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal)
  21. MsE

MsE New Member

How on earth, once on Medicare, do you convince your GP to do the tests for adrenal function?
    My GP is a good guy, but under present circumstances, all of the local doctors are avoiding testing because in our county, the repayment to the medical folks is waaaaaay lower than most places. What to do?