Adrenal fatigue

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by woohooo, Apr 19, 2007.

1. woohooo

woohooo New Member

Has anyone ever considered attributing their fibro symptoms to adrenal fatigue? I came across this highly informative article this week:
    My doc ordered the adrenal test for me, I'm awaiting results. I expect my adrenals have sputtered and died....will take the recommended supplements to regain adrenal function and voila! my fibro will disappear! ahhh whimsical dreams...
    <br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/19/2007</i>]
  2. woohooo

woohooo New Member

3. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I did a saliva cortisol test and I came up very low at all times of the day. Have been taking adrenal glandulars, but no effect to speak of. The test was done through my naturopath, while my reg. MD thinks this is too far out for her, and she did an a.m. serum cortisol which came out high. I know I have adrenal insufficiency, and am going to try to find a DR. who will prescribe low dose or physiologic Cortef, (see post by Waynesrhythm re this) and see if that will help. Many CFSers have HPA axis dysfunction. Gotta go lie down. Can't sit here longer than 5 mins. Dr. Lam's website is in my favorites. Lucky me. Marie
  4. woohooo

woohooo New Member

Thanks so much for responding! So does this ever get better? why did the glandulars not help?
  5. Clay2

Clay2 New Member

Check out the adrenal failure forum on stopthethyroidmadness.

Sometimes the adrenals are just worn out and taking cortef and thyroid can give them the respite they need to regroup. It depends on why they've quit. For some people, it can be part of an autoimmune problem. Sometimes cutting out gluten helps that.

I finally went to a Fibro and Fatigue Center, where they gave me thyroid based just on symptoms. I get my tests back for the rest next week.
  6. tkeelan

tkeelan New Member

Just started Cortef myself. Worth a trial course. Check out

Good Luck

7. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hi Woohooo :)

Here is my $.02... I think that if your adrenal glands were once healthy and now they are fatigued, it may be caused by having taken too many corticosteroids like prednisone, over a long period of time and without weaning off of these meds slowly, so your adrenal glands can adjust and start back producing corticosteroids or cortisol.

This is only one reason and only for some people, like my wife. Steroids are fantastic anti-inflammatory meds but they totally suppress your immune system. They come at a huge price that some people do not realize. I haven't taken many over the years. They are so effective and life saving. I think doctors like to have good medicines available, and boy do they ever over use them? (sometimes probably from what I have read in studying immunodeficiencies)

My wife does not have an immune system to speak of. I have her on adrenal support and I believe it has really helped her. (I sound like Dr.Casey, lol)

As soon as you start taking steroid medications, your adrenal glands cut back or stop corticosteroid production. If you do not come off the steroids slowly, you can develop Addison's disease or adrenal failure, or adrenal insufficiency.

If you read the precautions for prednisone it says to stay away from sick people and especially those with chicken pox, because your immune system is suppressed and the pox will cause shingles.

Best of luck with the whimsical dreams :) and don't ever stop dreaming. Imagination is all that keeps us running?

8. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

I've never been on steroids. I was taken down, so to speak, by dental amalgams which were put in when I was 14, and then later on, by continuing stressful situations, and, the last straw, by EBV.

Steroids have been given in too high doses by Drs. over the years, and I think this has caused many people to have adrenal insufficiency. Stopthethyroid madness is also a good website, yes. Marie
  9. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I have adrenal fatigue. My doc. says it is due to long term undiagosed hypothyroidism.

Please check out my other posts for details - I am too tired to retype.

What your doc. says might be true - I hope so - because my doc. says the same thing. HOWEVER, for some of us it takes a long time to build up our levels again and we are very sensitive to even the smallest doses - which I think is why some people stop.

Check out for more info.

Natural supplements did not help me. My doc. said it was because my levels were so low, it would take years to build them up naturally - and a small fortune.
  10. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i have adrenal fatigue. (as per results of the saliva test.)
    i am taking miladregen and isocort. both are made from adrenal glands from animals. they ARE helping me. sometimes i am doing much better, but then i get exhausted again. i have many posts on this subject, if you are interested.

11. woohooo

woohooo New Member

I've not been on stroids either, to the best of my knowledge. Unless morphine is a steroid....and morphine was in the anesthesia...
    Doc says fibro, but I really wanna get to the root of this crazy sickness....once full of energy and life and now weak, exhausted, life-less....crazy indeed
  12. woohooo

woohooo New Member

My doc faxed me the results of my saliva test for adrenal function. My adrenals are not doing their she will prescribe isocort. How long have you been on isocort and how much do you take? Do you have your energy back? Did you have muscle aches and pains prior to taking it? What made your doc test for adrenal function?
  13. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

i've been taking isocort for 5 weeks now. i also take another adrenal supp called miladregen, taking it for a few months now. i take a daily total of 3 miladregen and 3 isocort. yes it is helping me. but no i dont have all my energy back. but my good days are better and usually my bad days aren't as bad. (but i did just go thru a week of sleeoin almost all the time)

i have been exhausted for 12 years. i am hoping to slowly get better over the next few years. my dr says it can take that long for some people. usually the longer you have been sick the longer it takes to get better.

i dont have fibro, but yes i did have bad neck shoulder back muscle pain. now it is better due to traction at a physical therapists office.!!!

this is the most frustrating illness!!!!

i hope isocort helps you-

<br>[<i>This Message was Edited on 04/20/2007</i>]
  14. lea

lea Member

Is the saliva done thru a regular lab and is it called cortisol saliva?
    thank you
  15. app5775

app5775 New Member

I was just diagnosed this week with adrenal failure. My doctor ordered two blood tests in one day. One at 8:00 am and the other at 3:00pm. This came per my request. I had read so much about this on the board. I have to thank everyone out there for these threads to bring the adrenal issuues to my and his attention. Many of my symptons were exactly what those with adrenal problems explained. Although adrenal fatigue or thyroid problems is most likely a common denominator in fibro and CFIDS, adrenal "failure" like I have is somewhat rare. He said my test came back the worst he has ever seen in anyone in his 20+ years practice. Leave it to me to hold the records in stuff like this.
    Anyway I came very close to severely crashing last weekend before I got the results....somebody above was watching out of me and I was close to hitting the ER because I felt so horrible and exhausted. One can die from this if there is an adrenal crisis.
    Whether or not mine is a life long situation remains to be seen. Then its called Addisons disease. My doctor feels much of the cause of adrenal problems are because of viruses...namely for me, Epstein Barr. I had mono twice. Viruses can destroy the adrenal glands. And yes over prescribing cortisone etc. can take its tole on the bodies immune system. Just look at the warnings on the prescrips next time. However in my case, I had Stevens Johnson syndrome, a horrendous reaction to antibiotics a long time ago. I was on cortisone, HAD to be to in order to live for many monthes. I believe that episode also is related to many of my maladies.
    The doctor started me on cortisone acetate. I don't think anything "natural" would bring me out of the adrenal failure at this time. What is prescribed is what is taking the place of where my natural cortisol level should be at. At this time my adrenals are not producing any cortisol. My doctor does feel optimistic that I may be able to reverse my condition but no guarantees. However, I do feel much better but I have a long way to go. He feels that blood tests are best for adrenal results but the saliva is alright too. Just my own findings as of this week. I'm so thankful I had the tests done...I don't know really what would have happened to me if it hadn't been caught in time.
  16. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

dont know what to think anymore, Naturopath has diagnosed me with adrenal fatigue, low thyroid function and other hormonal imbalances the prob is here in Australia no one seems to agree, Although i have a doctor who is ok with alternative or complimentaty medicine the testin isnt it seems available.....Had a thyroid antibody blood test done it came back NORMAL, a thyroid function test done it came back NORMAL, so Iam normail NOT!!!! dont feel it and the Naturopath want to give me pills that cost $280.00 AUS which i cant afford. Didnt know there were tests avail for adrenal functions????? But yes woohooo I feel there is a link betwn thyroid, adrenal functions and that it causes the fibro.....I have been told tho that the cause of Adrenal fatigue is prolonged stressful situations but never heard of overuse of steriods.....Hang in there we WILL find an answer at some time I reckon
    Good luck
  17. wenld

wenld New Member

My Dr.tested me for just about everything that could be wrong in my body & the WORST was my Adrenal Gland. On a scale of 1-100 it is 48. I am getting Adrenal shots once a wk. for 5 wks. & then my Adrenal gets tested again.
    I have metals galore in my body & bacterias, viruses & parasites living it up in me, but the very 1st thing the doc's fixing is the Adrenal~this must mean something to take care of this first.
  18. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

dear wendl, As far as the internal bacteria etc is concerned i believe that OLIVE LEAF EXTRACT is supposed to be ideal for this. Iam going to ask my GP if I can take it considering iam on convential medication as well. My naturopath tells me that she feels the hormone imbalances is what causes the FM, WHAT do we believe?????
    good luck
  19. dvdav2000

dvdav2000 New Member

What shots are you getting for adrenals? I am with Levine also...

20. springrose22

springrose22 New Member

The saliva cortisol test is usually not ordered by regular docs but naturopaths. Diagnostechs does it, and so do some other labs but not all. If you type in saliva cortisol testing you should get something up. I live in Canada and my naturopath ordered it thru a lab in Calgary. Marie