Adrenal insufficiency- light pupil dilation test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by wannabwell, Feb 24, 2003.

1. wannabwell

wannabwell New Member

Hi

A friend of minewho also has CFS recently went to her doctor, who shined a light in her pupils to determine the status of her adrenals. She was told that because her pupils first dilated, and then returned to regular size when the light was still shining, that this is a sign of adrenal insufficiency. Has anyone else heard of this test?
  2. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

Wow, that's interesting. I'm gonna have to try it. My counselor who has FM swears by taking DHEA (200-300mg. a day!!!) She says my adrenals are completely shot as does my naturopath. Haven't had a doctor tell me that yet and somehow I don't think I ever will. I'm just starting the DHEA now so I'm gonna try that test.

Thanks for the info!

~LISA
  3. healing

healing New Member

be careful to buy your DHEA from a pharmacist or your doctor. tests have shown widely varying amounts of DHEA in marketed brands supposedly containing the same amount. Best to know what you're getting, which is why I get mine from my doc. Hope it helps you!
  4. lisjhn

lisjhn New Member

That's why I haven't been able to start the DHEA sooner, because I was having such bad constant headaches and I knew the DHEA would make it worse. Just seems like it puts more pressure in my head or something. So I'll start with 25mg. if I'm up to it tomorrow and go from there. (And 25mg. is a big starting dosage too, I don't know how she could take up to 300mg in a day! I think I'd have a heart attack!) This is definitely something you have to slowly work up to though. But, your right, I can't tell if it brings on headaches, or just makes one worse. All I know is if I already have one, there ain't no way I'm taking it!

~LISA
  5. poultrygeist

poultrygeist New Member

It could be recalled sometime in the near future because of new legislation in congress. So it might be available by prescription only if the law passes.