adrenal stress index test question

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Ramamama, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Ramamama

Ramamama New Member

Hello,

I want to get this ASI test done. Does it require a saliva test at various hours of the day or just a single test? I think I remember reading that it measured the adrenal function throughout a 24 hour period, so I assume it requires many test samples per day. Could anyone provide more info about this?

TIA,
    Rama
  2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Pick a normal day -- not one that is extra-stressful or if you are sick.

The instructions that came with mine ask you to put a small cotton roll in your mouth and leave it under the tongue for 2-5 minutes until it is saturated. Spit it back into the vial provided (four vials) and leave samples in refrigerator until you 'priority mail' it the next day.

Samples are taken between 7-8 am, 11 am-1 pm, 4-5 pm, and 11-midnight. There are some things not to eat the day you test (onions, chocolate, cabbage, etc.) and some things not to drink (coffee, tea, caffeine), and some things to avoid for the hour prior to sample collection (brushing teeth, mouth wash, smoking, antacids, etc.).
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

There are also specific instructions re taking the saliva test, if you are taking any kind of hormones, or using any kind of hormonal patches. The test instructions should tell you what to do, and it would probably be good to check with your doctor prior to taking the test. (e.g., I just had the test done and am taking estradiol and prometrium (natural forms of estrogen and progesterone) and had to stop both of them for 5 days prior to the test. Also am taking an adrenal glandular supplement and probably should have stopped that as well. Anyways, read the instructions. And if you use hormone patches, it's even more complicated.
  4. Ramamama

Ramamama New Member

I am not on a patch but am on birth control pill. Would I need to stop taking it? Perhaps I can do it on my peroid week when I take the dummy pill for 7 days.

Also, did your doctor order this test or did you purchase it on your own? Expensive? I'm willing to buy it on my own, but hoping doctor/insurance will take care of it.

Thanks,
    Rachele