Adrenal Stress Test from Clymer are in. Help interpreting this..

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 4isfamily, May 1, 2007.

1. 4isfamily

4isfamily New Member

I had done the ASI test checking cortisol, DHEA, etc. by Diagnos-Techs, Inc. Laborarory through Clymer Healing. I will have a phone consultation with Dr. Neville sometimes within a week or so (am waiting for confirmation), but in the meantime would appreciate help with interpretation. The results are the following:

Adrenal Stress Index
    7-8 a.m. level 8 (range 13-24) - depressed
    11-noon level 6 (range 5-10) - normal
    4-5 p.m. level 4 (range 3-8) - normal
    11 p.m.- midnight level 6 (range 1-4) - elevated

DHEA: level 6 (range 3-10) - normal
    Insulin: fasting <3 (normal 3-12)
    post-prandial 5 (optimal 5-20)
    Progesteron: 26 (range 33-100) - normal
    MB2S Total Salivary SIgA: 15 (range 25-60) - depressed
    FI4 Gliadin AB, SIgA: 10 negative

There is probably some cortisol problem with having low levels in the morning and high in the evening. I need to google SIgA what it means. The remarks in the lab results say that some of the cortisol problems can be fixed with proper diet, Tai Chi, etc., otherwise there may be some food intolerance gastro problems or infections. I was really hoping this test might give me answers to explain my exhaustion, but my doctor that does biofeedback suspects that something in my instestinal system may be causing it (she believes it's parasites and I am getting to the point that I will have it checked by some great doctor in NY). I already eat well, do meditation, Chi Gong, accupuncture, biofeedback, yet the exhaustion seems to often creep back in....

Thanks to anyone who will give me some insight to the above numbers.

2. Juloo

Juloo Member

Are they still doing the little chart that tells you what stage of adrenal exhaustion you're in?

I'm also curious why you've listed the progesterone as normal when it is below the range?

It's really good that your DHEA is normal.

On the whole, I'm guessing Dr. Neville will say that overall, your cortisol is low (perhaps suggesting licorice in the morning) and takes an unfortunate rise at night which disturbs your rest (perhaps suggesting Seriphos to tone down the rise).

I've pretty much flatlined on cortisol, and was low (below 3) for DHEA for a long time. I'm told by my FFC doc that my cortisol is rising again towards normal, but they don't use the same test as Clymer, so I don't know how to compare.

Don't forget to post when you have your phone appointment!
  3. targa66

targa66 New Member

hi Petra -
    you might also want to look at the stop the thyroid madness site forums (just google that name) - there's one on adrenal fatigue and quite a bit of info on test results, etc.
    best of luck,
  4. 4isfamily

4isfamily New Member

sorry for confusion, I mistyped the numbers. I will definately let you know once I have the consultation.

5. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

This will give you some insight into the abbreviations that aren't commonly known:
    the mucosal immune system provides resis tance to URTI primarily through the secretion of immunoglobulin A (SIgA) (1,3). SIgA has been shown to impede bacterial and viral adherence to mucosal surfaces and, therefore, limit colonization of these surfaces by pathogens (3,4). Levels of SIgA can readily be obtained non-invasively from a person’s saliva (5) and they have become widely accepted as a key biological indicator of changes in the integrity of the human mucosal immune system with exercise and other types of stressors (6,7).

You've been tested on two specific forms of SIgA and I didn't have time for the specifics. But its basically an immuno-stress test. I took this from a study on whether intense exercise would cause lowered levels and make a person more susceptible to URTI's.

Your progesterone is still low btw, even if your number was the lowest end of normal. Alternative practitioners tend to pay mopre attn. to results that have very low normals, because test ranges are only approximations and if you have symptoms and low normals, then obviously your body is lacking when another might function just fine w/ that same low normal number.

Your results are very much in keeping w/ your disease and are similar to what mine are. Maybe later I can fully interpret it, but I'm doing great on adrenal glandulars and I'm sure you would too.

6. jc16551

jc16551 New Member

Hi all, <BR>
    This is a great test for stress/burn-out; unfortunately, it is not a diagnostic test for CFS. <BR>
    When people get stuck in "fight or flight" mode and experience prolonged positive-feedback and hyper-cortisolemia, the pituitary gland eventually becomes desensitized to hypothalimic CRF and cortisol levels lower as the condition persists. <BR>
    If it persists long enough, high cortisol starts to decrease, returns to normal, then to abnormally low cortisol levels. This is seen in those with PTSD; they start out with very high cortisol levels, and over time, develop low cortisol levels as their pituitary gland receptors get fried from contstant stress-axis activation. <BR>
    The most effective treatment would probably be an SSRI to turn the fight-or-flight axis off and allow brain cells to regenerate/heal, combined with Doxepin or low-dosage Remeron for sleep to help normalize the daily sleep/wake cycle. <BR>
    Clearly stress-reducation is helpful, but once a positive-feedback loop is in place, it is not enough to turn the fight-or-flight axis off and allow the brain to heal. Likewise, effectively treating this condition is a treatment for burn-out (aka Atypical Depression) or late stage PTSD, not CFS. It may, however, prove helpful in the case of a co-morbid diagnosis. <BR>
    Dr. Dan