Adrenaldisfunction and low thyroid

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bettydroop, Feb 9, 2006.

1. bettydroop

bettydroop New Member

are the symptoms the opposite? I thought they were the same. I am so confused.
  2. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

As I understand it, the adrenals are all part of our bodies endocrine system. Many different hormones are produced by this system, the thyroid and adrenals being two of them.

If you are referring to adrenal insufficiency, the symptoms can be weakness, fatigue, abdominal pain, nausea, dehydration, and they also say skin changes (not sure what they mean by that but I think it has to do with darkening patches on the skin)

In hypothyroidism (I have hashimoto's thyroiditis) the symptoms can include the slowing of body processes, fatigue, a slow heart rate, dry skin, weight gain and constipation. I also had hair thinning and loss as well as the systems listed.

The endocrine system is one of those mysterious marvels that controls so much of who we are and it really creates a mess when it gets screwed up!

I hope this helps.

Eileen
  3. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

So how do I know that the adrenal insuff isn't causing my fm/cfs? I have the blotches on my skin and many of the other sx of an adrenal prob but am confused it it's THE prob or part OF the prob.

Sof
  4. Jeanne-in-Canada

Jeanne-in-Canada New Member

http://www.drrind.com/scorecardmatrix.asp

This chart is really detailed and should answer your questions.

Jeanne
  5. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

When I was first diagnosed with thyroid problems, they thought that my FM diagnosis was maybe wrong.

After taking the thyroid medication for six months, My levels are all normal again but all the other FM symptoms have remained.

I guess the only way you'll know if it's an endocrine problem or FM/CFS, etc., is for it to be tested and treated.

My doctor always told me that the FM diagnosis was based on all other possibilities being ruled out.
  6. Hope4Sofia

Hope4Sofia New Member

So much of figuring this DD out is a waiting game and trial and error. That's the way it goes.

I will have the tests done and time will tell. I know I have always run a very low BP and cholesterol. Thank you for your input.

This info is so helpful because it arms me when I go to the docs. Before I just didn't even know some of my probs were sx - like the blotches which have developed on my face - so I wouldn't mention them.

Sofi